McElroy credits Harsin for sticking with Bo

aubiefifty

Auburn football: Greg McElroy credits Bryan Harsin for sticking with Bo Nix

ByChance Linton
3-4 minutes

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix delivered one of the biggest performances of his career on Saturday night to lead the Tigers to a 19-17 win over LSU in Baton Rouge, marking the program’s first win at Tiger Stadium since 1999.

The junior signal-caller completed 23 of 44 passes for 255 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions while rushing for a team-high 74 yards and one touchdown on 12 carries. He engineered a pair of fourth-quarter touchdown drives to help Auburn erase a nine-point fourth-quarter deficit, earning co-SEC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his efforts.

The performance comes just one week after Nix was benched in favor of LSU transfer T.J. Finley, who rallied the Tigers in the second half for a 34-24 win over Georgia State. But Nix remained in the starting lineup, and SEC Network college football analyst Greg McElroy praised first-year head coach Bryan Harsin for his decision to stick with the veteran quarterback.

“I think the moral of the story last week is just when you're ready to write a player off, take your time,” McElroy said Monday on the Paul Finebaum Show. “The coaches know what they're doing, and I think everyone that I talked to on the radio, and everyone that probably was listening to your show that supported Auburn, they want a changing of the guard at quarterback last week or the vast majority did.

“And they were wrong, because Bo Nix, right now, and his mobility is what actually gives this Auburn offense some unpredictability. And him being able to run around and create is not something I want to rely on down in and down out. But I think that athleticism can get you out of a jam, especially when your offensive line, for the most part, has been very, very mediocre this year.

“So I thought it was a good move to keep him in the lineup, and I also think that he showed you why this past weekend. I was so happy for him; him being able to bounce back and being able to deliver on the road for the first time in over 20 years."

With the win, Auburn improved to 4-1 overall and 1-0 in SEC play. The No. 18 Tigers return home this week to host the second-ranked Georgia Bulldogs (5-0, 3-0 SEC) on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

A former five-star recruit out of Pinson Valley High School in Pinson, Ala., Nix was ranked as the No. 33 overall prospect and No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the country for the 2019 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He was also the third-ranked player in Alabama.

">247Sports
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, homersapien said:

McElroy has turned out to be a decent guy for a bammer.

He's as good an analyst as SECN has. He'll be in that racket as long as he wants to be and good for him. 

• Like 4

Every time he is mentioned I think of this...

Screenshot_20211006-114424~2.png

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, homersapien said:

McElroy has turned out to be a decent guy for a bammer.

Yeah he’s one of my favorites. He’s very smart and is quite rational. His skepticism of hiring Coach O has been pretty on point long term. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix delivered one of the biggest performances of his career on Saturday night to lead the Tigers to a 19-17 win over LSU in Baton Rouge,

Stopped reading after this. Believe the final was 24-19🙄

• Haha 2

Guest MustardSeed
5 hours ago, woodford said:

Yeah he’s one of my favorites. He’s very smart and is quite rational. His skepticism of hiring Coach O has been pretty on point long term. 

Who wasn’t skeptical though 🤔😂

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He's as good an analyst as SECN has. He'll be in that racket as long as he wants to be and good for him. 

Cubelic is right damn good in his own right.

• Like 1

No quarter given to the near-fact that Bo would've lost the GSU game if TJF doesn't come in. Or the almost certainty that Bo, whether we love him or not, is not the guy to take Auburn to the next level. It was a real qb debate for a week, not an invention. I didn't really see many pitchforks out for Bo- looked to me like we handled it in-stride. So to me it's a backhanded-looking comment at Auburn which is classic McElroy. His cohorts with all the microphones demogogued that issue to it's Max just like always. 

Edited by jAUSon

10 hours ago, fredst said:

Stopped reading after this. Believe the final was 24-19🙄

i am pretty sure they meant heart. bo has never been a big numbers guy. what kind of auburn fan quits reading something positive over bo when he did in fact have one of the greatest games of his career? he broke the curse damn near single handedly and yet here you are throwing shade.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Who wasn’t skeptical though 🤔😂

True. There were a bunch of pundits and people online who were caught in the moment and think Coach O “deserved” the job. He did well at first and he can recruit, but I question his ability to run a program.  

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

he broke the curse damn near single handedly

No, he absolutely did not, and that is mighty disrespectful to the rest of the team. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, he absolutely did not, and that is mighty disrespectful to the rest of the team. 

i am not disrespecting no one. i give them all credit but you tell me whom else could have made those plays. i assumed most people without a grudge would know it took the team for him to make those plays. and for a smart guy it is funny you could not figure that out.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not disrespecting no one. i give them all credit but you tell me whom else could have made those plays. i assumed most people without a grudge would know it took the team for him to make those plays. and for a smart guy it is funny you could not figure that out.

I only have a grudge against bad takes. I know you want all criticism to be personal but it's not. 

And no, I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to determine if you meant something quite different from what you said. Particularly when you said it in an attempt to chastise another person for their thoughts, which were clearly directed towards an alumnus of our most hated rival and in no way disparaging of or disrespectful towards any Auburn player. Speaking of, maybe take a moment to consider the irony there.

• Like 1

i am pretty sure you showed your ass with gus folks. i have asked you to keep your lectures to yourself. i am not gonna roll over like mikey. you have a lot of nerve knowing how close my family is to auburn and my dad playing for auburn to not assume this mess. you just want to mess with me. go away. 

• Facepalm 2

@McLoofus: It seems that the irony actually was lost here, lol

Apparently not liking a poorly written article *written by an alleged journalist* is a personal affront. Pistols at dawn next

Edited by fredst
  • Haha 2

Was this Greg's take last week or just what he came up with after the fact to make himself look good?  It makes a difference.  I mean is this an" I told you so moment" or trying to look smart moment and he was prepared either way if there was success or failure for all 4 possible scenarios.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Was this Greg's take last week or just what he came up with after the fact to make himself look good?  It makes a difference.  I mean is this an" I told you so moment" or trying to look smart moment and he was prepared either way if there was success or failure for all 4 possible scenarios.

Don't have a link or an exact quote but I recall him voicing support for Bo prior to the game. 

He's a QB, so he's always going to have other QBs' backs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I only have a grudge against bad takes. I know you want all criticism to be personal but it's not. 

And no, I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to determine if you meant something quite different from what you said. Particularly when you said it in an attempt to chastise another person for their thoughts, which were clearly directed towards an alumnus of our most hated rival and in no way disparaging of or disrespectful towards any Auburn player. Speaking of, maybe take a moment to consider the irony there.

you knew exactly what i meant. others? maybe not. at least i did not gang up on people with homeboys to try to make them look stupid. when you are innocent of crap then you might can make judgement calls. right now you are just picking. you have gotten pissy lately and do not like articles i post or what i say and when is the last time you gave me a like for posting an article? oh! you want to save your likes for discussion and not the cat that gives you many opportunities every day.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't have a link or an exact quote but I recall him voicing support for Bo prior to the game. 

He's a QB, so he's always going to have other QBs' backs.

cool, that little bit of context makes a difference in the value of the opinion.  thanx

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you knew exactly what i meant. others? maybe not. at least i did not gang up on people with homeboys to try to make them look stupid. when you are innocent of crap then you might can make judgement calls. right now you are just picking. you have gotten pissy lately and do not like articles i post or what i say and when is the last time you gave me a like for posting an article? oh! you want to save your likes for discussion and not the cat that gives you many opportunities every day.

Dude, your paranoia at times is out of control.  You have legit attacked a dozen plus members when they criticize the author of an article that you post.  The comments are clearly at the author and about the context of what was written.  Why you think that those comments are towards you is mind numbing.  Now if it was one of the typical, "why post that crap from al.com, they hate Auburn blah, blah, blah".  most of us got your back.  but this now steady attack of posters for commenting on the articles are too much.

Let's not get into the Mikey debate because what you are defending and what most are saying are two different things, plus the fact is that Mikey loves the attention and the discourse, just like some of the "gang" as you put it do as well.  Nobody who has been around for awhile questions Mikey's loyalty and love of Auburn, we know he bleeds it.  

I guess in a short, my friend, I am just saying relax and don't get yourself so wound up about nothing.  what you do is greatly appreciated by all.  I personally love that I can read the daily articles by our beat on this site instead of having to bounce around and so do many others.  Keep up the good work but just R-E-L-A-X buddy!!! WDE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Dude, your paranoia at times is out of control.  You have legit attacked a dozen plus members when they criticize the author of an article that you post.  The comments are clearly at the author and about the context of what was written.  Why you think that those comments are towards you is mind numbing.  Now if it was one of the typical, "why post that crap from al.com, they hate Auburn blah, blah, blah".  most of us got your back.  but this now steady attack of posters for commenting on the articles are too much.

Let's not get into the Mikey debate because what you are defending and what most are saying are two different things, plus the fact is that Mikey loves the attention and the discourse, just like some of the "gang" as you put it do as well.  Nobody who has been around for awhile questions Mikey's loyalty and love of Auburn, we know he bleeds it.  

I guess in a short, my friend, I am just saying relax and don't get yourself so wound up about nothing.  what you do is greatly appreciated by all.  I personally love that I can read the daily articles by our beat on this site instead of having to bounce around and so do many others.  Keep up the good work but just R-E-L-A-X buddy!!! WDE

yes i have some paranoia. depression. anxiety. the last drug i took was lexapro and it made me suicidal. i has told this many times. and i am not making at excuses but at 66 nothing has helped. i have no defenses because i cannot tolerate the meds. this is fact. maybe i am not cut out for boards but as guilty as i am of a lot of things some go out of their way to be sh^tty when i have asked to be let alone. i posted the franklin article and it was "how dare you post that here buddy". this is fact. that it is right under or right over six thousand views would prove my case. sometimes people hold grudges. but yes maybe i should leave. maybe someone can bribe me to leave and if i need my fix i will read the fam from the sidelines. or move on.