Can Auburn solve Georgia’s defense?

aubiefifty

Can Auburn solve the puzzle that is Georgia’s daunting defense?

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
5-7 minutes

Georgia defensive line

Georgia defensive lineman Jordan Davis (99) watches from the sideline in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Vanderbilt Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021, in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)AP

Bryan Harsin accomplished something in his first season that no Auburn coach did in 22 years when his team defeated LSU down in Baton Rouge, La., last week. Now, for an encore, Harsin and his team will be tasked with trying to do something no team has been able to do yet this season — solve Georgia’s defense.

It’s a tall order for No. 18 Auburn (4-1, 1-0 SEC) in this year’s edition of the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry, as No. 2 Georgia (5-0, 3-0) rolls into Jordan-Hare Stadium this weekend with the nation’s most intimidating defense. The Bulldogs lead the country in allowing just 4.6 points per game, and their defense has made a mockery of the team’s first five opponents this season — holding Clemson to a field goal in Week 1 and then posting back-to-back SEC shutouts the last two weeks.

“They’re playing at a high level,” Harsin said. “So, that’s going to be a great challenge for our offense, as we put together a plan to go out there put together and try to score points.”

Through five games, Georgia’s defense has scored more touchdowns (two) than it has surrendered. The lone touchdown the unit has allowed was a 36-yard pass in the fourth quarter against South Carolina in Week 3 (the only other touchdown scored against Georgia this season came in Week 2, when UAB had a pick-six). The unit has suffocated opposing offenses, allowing just 3.38 yards per play (tops in the nation) while racking up 18 sacks and, according to The Athletic, getting a stop on 93 percent of all drives this season.

The defense has been so dominant that South Carolina coach Shane Beamer guffawed that Georgia has “like 100 five-star football players” on defense. While clearly an exaggeration, the Bulldogs’ defense is still loaded, and it’s spearheaded by a front seven that includes six former five-star prospects in its two-deep, including a trio of them starting at linebacker with Nakobe Dean, Adam Anderson and Nolan Smith. The defensive line is anchored by a 340-pound behemoth nose tackle in Jordan Davis, with a pair of blue-chip prospects on either side of him in Travon Walker and Devonte Wyatt.

“Yeah, their front seven is really good,” Harsin said. “Jordan Davis, Nakobe Dean — those guys are really good players. They’re physical up front.”

Cracking that puzzle will be the most difficult task to date for Auburn’s offense, as Harsin and his offensive staff will try to scheme against a daunting Georgia defense that hasn’t allowed a point in its las 26 drives. Of course, scheming against such a talented and dominating defense is no walk in the park; Harsin knows it’s going to take more than just X’s and O’s—it’s going to require some noteworthy individual efforts from Auburn’s offensive line, tight ends and running backs when it comes to blocking assignments, as well as sound execution from the rest of the offense.

“You’re going to have to win some of those one-on-one matchups,” Harsin said. “They do have very good depth, they’re very good up front. You still have to scheme for that, so you just can’t give up on that because they have good players, and they have depth. You’re going to scheme, you’re going to have a plan and then you’re going to work on the things that you have to do that week in order to make that play or that plan you have with your offense successful.”

Part of that plan for Auburn, of course, will be trying to establish the run game against a Georgia defense limiting opponents to 70 yards per game on the ground and just 2.35 yards per carry. Auburn ranks 13th nationally in rushing offense at 238.2 yards per game and second nationally in yards per carry with 6.81, but it’s coming off a game in which it struggled to get things going between the tackles against LSU. Still, Auburn found its ground game when it mattered most in the fourth quarter, and as Harsin said afterward, “at some point, the run game is going to be there.”

“Everybody wants to try to run the football, and so you still want to be able to run it,” Harsin said. “You’ve got to be able to handle those guys up front. We’ve got to do a great job at O-line, tight ends being able to get up to those linebackers as well so you can run it. So that just in itself is a challenge.”

But it’s one Auburn feels it is prepared to take on, as daunting as it may seem, after early-season tests against Penn State and LSU, and even a quality Georgia State defensive front. The Tigers understand that it won’t be possible without winning some of those one-on-one matchups up front, though.

“That’s why you do individual (drills),” Harsin said. “That’s why you spend time in the weight room. That’s why you do all those things, so at some point when you get a one-on-one, that’s your chance to use some of the techniques and things you learn, but it’s also -- you just as a football player. That’s your chance to try to win that one-on-one, and that’s a great challenge and I think why a lot of guys play the game, is we get in those moments. ‘Hey, it’s me and you,’ and you get to go out there and challenge yourself to try to win those battles.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Like 1

People just need to pump the brakes a little.  Yes, we won in Baton Rouge for the first time since 1999, but we were playing the same LSU team that we beat 48-11 last year in Auburn.  Happy for the win, but not sure that it proves very much.  We have a chance this weekend, but it is a slim chance.  The uga defense is very physical.  There isn't much to figure out in that regard.  Our only option is to confuse them and keep everything to the edges in an effort to wear them down some as the game progresses.  We also have the home crowd  That has been huge in this series and helped keep the score within one TD when playing in Auburn many times.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Can Auburn solve the puzzle that is Georgia’s daunting defense?

No. I wish we could and would, though. Seriously, I think it is clear how dominant that defense is. Stay ahead of the chains, maintain good field position, and don't allow them a defensive TD and we might have a chance. 

• Like 2

For us to have a chance it’ll have to be through the air. That run defense is serious and even Harsin admitted that there won’t be much double teaming since their all so talented so our OL is gone have to step up and win it’s one on one battles.

Hopefully our playcalling gets more creative in the run game at least.  

• Like 3

Our D needs to hit their QB on EVERY play! We need to implement traps for their DL, run straight at them and pass to our TEs in the middle of the field to keep their LBs honest! We also can't give up on the run too early! If we depend upon Bo to win this game, we will be blown out.

• Like 1

So far no SEC team has solved the problem. 2 shutouts.

It will be tough, but if we can run the ball or get good yardage on misdirection or short passing game, that will help in play action passes for those splash plays.

If we can't run the ball, it could be a long afternoon, because Bo is not a gunslinger that will get you 300 yard games to move the ball.

• Like 1

This is a tough hill to climb and the oline will have to play the best game they've ever played in O&B to handle that dog dline.  

I think Mason will have the defense ready to play which should slow down the dogs.  BUT Kirby is a lot like Saban in that he likes to score early, then milk the clock to run off time while his defense gets to rest w/fresh legs for the 4th qtr.  We need special teams to play a big part and they have to be on point with Carlson at 100%, points will be at a premium on Saturday. 

• Like 1

It will be very tough. But a short passing attack is the only viable option.  Bo has to get rid of the ball very quickly.  There won't be much time in the pocket.  Running the ball will only work late in the game, if at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

People just need to pump the brakes a little.  Yes, we won in Baton Rouge for the first time since 1999, but we were playing the same LSU team that we beat 48-11 last year in Auburn.  Happy for the win, but not sure that it proves very much.  We have a chance this weekend, but it is a slim chance.  The uga defense is very physical.  There isn't much to figure out in that regard.  Our only option is to confuse them and keep everything to the edges in an effort to wear them down some as the game progresses.  We also have the home crowd  That has been huge in this series and helped keep the score within one TD when playing in Auburn many times.

Pump the brakes??? :dunno:

I hardly think overconfidence is a problem.  I think most of us are running on wishful hope.  The rest expect a mauling.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

The way UGA plays aggressive and attacks on defense AU needs to hit a big play action pass or two early or have a big gain because they lose Worm on a swing pass. Anything to make them sit and think just a second before attacking our O-Line. Anything the offense can do to make the LB's sit for even a second helps give the backs a little running room. There will be a few plays where Nix has to avoid the rush so does he do it like LSU and avoid a huge loss or get dropped 10 yards back. Simply avoiding the sack and getting an incompletion will be a win at times. 

Honestly I don't think the O has to do that much. They can't lose the game and have to avoid major mistakes. I believe the D can slow down UGA especially if they get some pieces back. At the same time UGA is missing some playmakers offensively still which helps AU as well. They have to score to win but not much with their D.

I give us about a 30% chance based on talent alone but I also feel this one will be decided by two or three plays. Who makes the plays will decide if this is a 19-14 game for us or a 24-7 game for them. 

Edited by RHN1975
spelling

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

LSU is definitely not the same team. Totally different offensive and defensive systems. Might be a lot of same players though. I think if they give their coordinators some time they will be fine.

Only thing that’s giving me hope is that we have JHS on our side. Not tripping if we lose just don’t get shutout.

Edited by WFE12

Seeing how Auburn had issues with basic MLB stunts vs Ga State you can bet the LB's and Safeties will be coming from every position imaginable.  Kirby loves him some safety blitzes off the edge.  Does Nix and WRs have the wherewithal to recognize and exploit? haven't seen it yet.

Guest MustardSeed

Misdirection. That’s how I see us having any chance. Plays like the Hunter run where the entire offense goes one way and Hunter goes the other way. 
I don’t want to bring Gus’ playbook back, but those WR end around option with a rb option, screen option, play action option etc based out of the same formations slow these type of Ds down just enough to give a little running game and small moments of momentum that could be huge. 
Doesn’t have to be an all out spread, but pro formation when your outmanned gets you blanked like the last 2 SEC teams 

I have a contrarian view...GA has not played an offense rated in the top 60..  So far they have played the # 120, #95, #124, #103 and #60 rated offenses.  Arkansas being the #60 ranked offense; and they are about as hard to diagnose as clap in a whorehouse (QB runs well, half assed thrower, one wideout that throw to and one back they hand off to).   Still hard to believe they beat A&M.  I don't think we know what GA's defense can do...they haven't had to do anything yet.  

Auburn wins 23-10; if we continue to evolve the game plan we used against LSU; RUN the damn ball, especially Hunter, Run Nix 10+ times, keep throwing check down routes to any of the backs and throw other high %age passes (well, hi %age for most teams); I think limiting Nix's pitch count to around 22-25 would be best; but no matter what we don't seem to be willing to do that even though we have two backs that are outperforming GA's backs by a wide margin ( Hunter 447 yds, 10.6 YPC and Tank  430 yds, 5.8 YPC).  GA's 4 back rotation has produced less yds than Auburns 2 man; and YPC are less.  GA just sticks with the run no matter what and they throw 25 or less passes per game.  

Our defense needs to load up on their run and force the QB to win the game for him.  Not sure he can do that.  He certainly hasn't had to yet.  That's where I'd place my bet.  

signal-2021-10-06-091531.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think Shivers and Bo's legs are the key to success Saturday. Stretch the field with sweeps and screens to make those big boys on the DL run. Work Hunter into the rotation to keep them honest. I would love to see Hunter in the backfield and Shivers in the slot at the same time like we did with Mason and Grant.

Score Prediction for an AU victory: 19-16. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

I don't think we know what GA's defense can do...they haven't had to do anything yet.  

GA just sticks with the run no matter what and they throw 25 or less passes per game.  

Our defense needs to load up on their run and force the QB to win the game for him.  Not sure he can do that.  He certainly hasn't had to yet.  That's where I'd place my bet.  

I don't mean to pick apart your post but:

I think most folks know what uga's defense can do and we know they can take over in the trenches and make a QB miserable. They'll stick with the run on Saturday because they blew up our defense last year by running it straight behind their center & guards, and they slashed us.  Kirby will want to try that again until we stop it.  Kirby loves to drain the clock while keeping his defense rested and their run game does that well. 

You are correct though, no defense has forced them to win with the passing game.  We'll see if our defense can get constant pressure on their QB and if they can,  then we'll disrupt their backfield forcing him throw quick passes.

Uga has an overwhelming talent advantage with a rock solid DC in Muschamp and they'll do just enough on offense to pull out the win.  Auburn still hasn't found consistency or an identity with the new staff, still a long way to go.  Win or Lose, WDE.

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

I have a contrarian view...GA has not played an offense rated in the top 60..  So far they have played the # 120, #95, #124, #103 and #60 rated offenses.  Arkansas being the #60 ranked offense; and they are about as hard to diagnose as clap in a whorehouse (QB runs well, half assed thrower, one wideout that throw to and one back they hand off to).   Still hard to believe they beat A&M.  I don't think we know what GA's defense can do...they haven't had to do anything yet.  

Auburn wins 23-10; if we continue to evolve the game plan we used against LSU; RUN the damn ball, especially Hunter, Run Nix 10+ times, keep throwing check down routes to any of the backs and throw other high %age passes (well, hi %age for most teams); I think limiting Nix's pitch count to around 22-25 would be best; but no matter what we don't seem to be willing to do that even though we have two backs that are outperforming GA's backs by a wide margin ( Hunter 447 yds, 10.6 YPC and Tank  430 yds, 5.8 YPC).  GA's 4 back rotation has produced less yds than Auburns 2 man; and YPC are less.  GA just sticks with the run no matter what and they throw 25 or less passes per game.  

signal-2021-10-06-091531.jpeg

Might be a chicken/egg discussion on the offenses they've faced.  What are those offenses rated without the UGA game included?  What will our offense be ranked after the game?  Probably lower than it is now.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think most folks know what uga's defense can do and we know they can take over in the trenches and make a QB miserable. They'll stick with the run on Saturday because they blew up our defense last year by running it straight behind their center & guards, and they slashed us.  Kirby will want to try that again until we stop it.  Kirby loves to drain the clock while keeping his defense rested and their run game does that well. 

You are correct though, no defense has forced them to win with the passing game.  We'll see if our defense can get constant pressure on their QB and if they can,  then we'll disrupt their backfield forcing him throw quick passes.

Uga has an overwhelming talent advantage with a rock solid DC in Muschamp and they'll do just enough on offense to pull out the win.  Auburn still hasn't found consistency or an identity with the new staff, still a long way to go.  Win or Lose, WDE.

Muschamp is not DC.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I didn’t think Muschamp was DC (analyst).

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I didn’t think Muschamp was DC (analyst).

My bad, Dan Lanning is the official DC.  But everyone knows WM's up to his eyes in the middle of that defensive game planning with he and Kirby are licking their chops with all that talent. 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

My bad, Dan Lanning is the official DC.  But everyone knows WM's up to his eyes in the middle of that defensive game planning with he and Kirby are licking their chops with all that talent. 

I think Smart is egotistical enough to believe he needs to keep him (WM) bottled up and working on recruiting more than defensive coaching, but he is a defensive analyst.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I think Smart is egotistical enough to believe he needs to keep him (WM) bottled up and working on recruiting more than defensive coaching, but he is a defensive analyst.

Possibly but Kirby would be stupid as hell to not have WM pouring over film study, opponents offensive tendencies and input on defensive schemes and personnel packages.   

Just now, keesler said:

Possibly but Kirby would be stupid as hell to not have WM pouring over film study, opponents offensive tendencies and input on defensive schemes and personnel packages.   

True, brings a lot to the table. I believe WM is there trying to learn recruiting from Smart, also.