defense makes progress

aubiefifty

Auburn's defense makes progress on third-down stops

ByMark Murphy
3-4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–While there is still room for improvement, five games into the 2021 football season the Auburn defense has made a significant step forward in its ability to get off the field after third down plays. Going back to spring training, that was a point of emphasis for the new coaching staff.

Last season opposing offenses converted slightly better than half of their third downs when facing Auburn’s defense. The Tigers finished last in the Southeastern Conference in the category and ranked 121st nationally.

After allowing LSU to convert just 6-17 third down opportunities in a 24-19 victory for the visiting Tigers on Saturday night at Baton Rouge, the Auburn defense is allowing opponents to convert 34.7 percent of the time this season. That ranks eighth in the Southeastern Conference, just behind Ole Miss (34.5 percent) and Alabama (34.3 percent).

For the season opposing offenses are 6-18 on third down conversion attempts in the first quarter and 9-18 in the second quarter. The second half numbers are better for the Tigers, who have allowed 6-19 in the third quarter and 4-17 in the fourth quarter during the team’s 4-1 start.

Junior edge rusher Derick Hall, who was in on a collegiate-high eight tackles last week with 1 1/2 quarterback sacks, said that one of the major themes in practices for Coordinator Derek Mason's defense is focusing on a strong fourth quarter performance.

10590276.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Defensive coordinator Derek Mason is in his first season coaching for the Tigers. (Photo: Adam Sparks / Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

This week’s opponent has been strong defensively from the start to finish of games. Georgia, which is 5-0, leads the nation in total defense by a wide margin. The Bulldogs are giving up just 180.6 yards per game. Iowa State is a distant second allowing 232.0 per contest. In the SEC the No. 2 ranked defense in yards allowed is Arkansas at 282.8.

One of the reasons why the Bulldogs are No. 1 nationally in fewest yards allowed is that their opponents are converting on just 25.7 percent of their third down opportunities. That ranks No. 1 in the Southeastern Conference and is sixth nationally after dominating previously unbeaten Arkansas 37-0 in game five.

Auburn heads into Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. CDT (CBS television coverage) home contest vs. Georgia allowing 299.0 yards per outing, which ranks 21st nationally. The 2020 Auburn defense allowed 406 yards per game, which ranked 63rd among FBS teams.

2COMMENTS

In their Southeastern Conference opener at LSU on Saturday night the visitors were able to keep the Bayou Bengals from scoring in the fourth quarter. One of the reasons for that was LSU managed just 54 yards in the final quarter while converting on just two of six third down plays in addition to Bydarrius Knighten getting his first Auburn interception on LSU’s final offensive play, a fourth down and six call from the home team’s 46-yard line.

• Thanks 1

• Like 2
  • Love 1

When we start like we finish, this defense will be very good. I dont understand why we start like we react to what the offense dictates but I like the improvements each game, especially the pass rush and strong tackling. War Eagle 

22 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

You can tell they’re starting to get used to playing with multiple schemes. Steele only played with man and never switched. Good job Mason 

Seems CDM and CBH are committed to a long term plan. I like it.

People freaked out about Tuberville switching to the spread in 2008 and then Chizik switching to a more pro style offense in 2012. The thing is, the fact that they made those changes wasn't the problem. The problem was that they didn't do it right and/or there were major problems elsewhere in the program- defense, off-field stuff, all of the above.

Change is hard. It takes patience. I think CDM could've handled the PSU game better but otherwise I'm not mad at all. Glad that we're making the big, difficult changes. And what better time to do it. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

To be honest, it seemed like the defense played pretty well against an LSU team that decided to throw first, run little.

And on those 2 big plays in their first series.

on the play to Boutte that went for 55 yards, I noticed on the film, that we blitzed both our LBs, leaving the middle open, and McCreary had to hesitate, as another of our DB crossed right in front of him as Boutte received that slant. McCreary had to hesitate while Boutte was running in full stride. I don't feel it was a broken play or bad play, just unfortunate on the execution.

And on the TD to Boutte, Johnson made a fantastic play and placement that made it easy for a great player like Boutte to catch it. The only problem I had, is if Knighten had just turned his head around to see where the ball might be landing, I think he could have gotten his hand up and batted it away pretty easily.