How 'bout them apples?

Rednilla

On 10/3/2021 at 6:53 PM, Hank2020 said:

Noteworthy but not comparison worthy. Hoping not but could just be a 1-off. That’s why I suggested waiting.

How is it noteworthy without the comparison? Malzahn never won such a game, and Harsin won his first. That's not to say that everything is automatically better, but in his only chance to beat a primary rival on their home field during his first season, he succeeded. There are a lot of people who see that as a breath of fresh air, and pointing it out, while exacerbating things for those still holding onto their Gus crush, makes a large portion of the fan base smile.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:13 PM, AU9377 said:

Don't assume things. I don't get the obsession on this board with Gus.  I have supported every coach we have ever had and that isn't changing with this one.  I want Harsin to do well.  I want Auburn to win.  Some of you get in this dumbfounding love fest after a win and can't imagine something negative being pointed out.  Then we have a Ga State like game and the sky is falling.  

I doubt we have the same coordinators next year.  That doesn't mean that I hate Bobo or don't want Harsin to succeed.  That is just looking at the product on the field. By the way, that field is not void of talent, as we saw last night.  It looked like Harsin was much more involved in the play calling last night and game plan overall.  He did more of what we can do instead of calling plays that a play caller wants us to execute.  That is important for a coach to do when you first inherit a team.

I assumed nothing; I measured the tone of your reply and asked a question based upon that tone. 

Also, I never said a word about the GA State debacle meaning that the sky is falling, so please do me a favor and don't assume that I'm a part of that group.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

How is it noteworthy without the comparison? Malzahn never won such a game, and Harsin won his first. That's not to say that everything is automatically better, but in his only chance to beat a primary rival on their home field during his first season, he succeeded. There are a lot of people who see that as a breath of fresh air, and pointing it out, while exacerbating things for those still holding onto their Gus crush, makes a large portion of the fan base smile.

Yep. As time goes on, we'll shift more to comparing against where we should be. But right now, it's all about comparing against where we were. Metrics mean nothing absent context. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Not one of those with a Gus crush, and I definitely see it as a positive data point. Just can’t compare with 1 IMO.

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Not one of those with a Gus crush, and I definitely see it as a positive data point. Just can’t compare with 1 IMO.

When that one was the head coach for the 8 previous seasons and the new coach does something positive that the old coach never did, it's worth mentioning.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

When that one was the head coach for the 8 previous seasons and the new coach does something positive that the old coach never did, it's worth mentioning.

Completely agree.