How 'bout them apples?

Rednilla

10 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Malzahn was 0-13 against Alabama, LSU, and Georgia away from Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Bryan Harsin is 1-0.

Yeah, it's early, but I genuinely believe we are heading in the right direction. Probably going to take a couple of years before we're competing for championships, but this win gives Harsin a bit of a signature to carry him forward, pushing away those who would nag and complain and end up running him off before he's able to implement his system. 

you would be right. and folks complain about some weird stuff on here. i would like to think bird had something to do with the win repping the family. if we had lost some might have said bird laid an egg............grins.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Malzahn was 0-13 against Alabama, LSU, and Georgia away from Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Bryan Harsin is 1-0.

Yeah, it's early, but I genuinely believe we are heading in the right direction. Probably going to take a couple of years before we're competing for championships, but this win gives Harsin a bit of a signature to carry him forward, pushing away those who would nag and complain and end up running him off before he's able to implement his system. 

Who is bringing up Gus now?  When we beat bama 3 times, win the West twice and play for a natty, we will know more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 5
  • Dislike 5

Bryan Harsin is 1-0.

We have a long way to go to have a winning season.  I loved last night.  I hope we do well.  I hope Harsin does well, but if he doesn't, and recruiting doesn't improve, he will have done himself in, not the other way around.

• Dislike 5

Just now, AU9377 said:

I hope Harsin does well, but...

But you don't believe he will, is that it?

Bryan Harsin is 1-0.

You going to make a feel people mad with this which should bring into question “why would they be mad with the success of CBH?”

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Guest MustardSeed

Just an FYI,

Every coach at every school will be compared to the previous coach at said school. Especially when the previous coach was fired for lack of success. Gus was compared to Chizik. Chizik compared to Tubbs, Tubbs compared to Terry and Terry was compared to Dye.  And that’s just in my lifetime.

Gus will be brought up and compared to because it is required to compare to the previous staffs to analyze if levels of improvement are being achieved  

Harsin being 1-0 in a situation where Gus was 0-13 is extremely noteworthy. He deserves recognition for that. Even if he doesn’t work out it’s a very positive sign at the moment  

I forgot about that stat. Definitely a lot to improve upon, hopefully last night s win was the foundation for something better. 

1 minute ago, metafour said:

The last guy in Year 8 of his tenure: "8-5 is fine, losing to South Carolina is fine, they'll get better next year."

The new guy in Year 1 of a rebuild: "Losing by one possession on the road against a Top 5 team shows that he's in over his head."

🙄

Right . I am not going to say I haven’t been criticizing some aspect of coaching and I think rightfully so, but there are clear distinctions between last year staff and this year staff. Two glaring ones are their ability to adjust on the fly and the utilization of every player to their skill set. No clue why some people are truly hoping CBH fails and it shows. 

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed

Interesting note. 
Tubberville only won in BR once. 
he beat LSU the year the fired Denardo and went 3-8. Denardo lost 7 straight SEC games and was fired before the last game (Arkansas) which the interim coach won. So LSUs head coach (Denardo) was 2-8 the last year an AU coach won in BR.  

4 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Interesting note. 
Tubberville only won in BR once. 
he beat LSU the year the fired Denardo and went 3-8. Denardo lost 7 straight SEC games and was fired before the last game (Arkansas) which the interim coach won. So LSUs head coach (Denardo) was 2-8 the last year an AU coach won in BR.  

I didn't remember that Dinardo was fired that year...but I feel pretty certain that the Auburn loss was the beginning of the end for him, not just a stop along the way, because it seems like they were favored pretty big.

It's also interesting to note that this is only our 6th win in Baton Rouge all time.

And I need to learn my own patience. Honestly , I can tell with the frustration on CBH face he is having to teach all these players football 101. You can tell there is a deficiency in the mental aspect with this group . @cole256 has kept me grounded with CDM because I have to believe the way these players play on the field is not how they are being taught in practice . This is the second week in a row where it has been mentioned that the defense has just executed better in the second half. Even playing off the ball, some of these guys instinctively seem to not get it. Alabama had the same scheme against ole miss and their players instinctively also know what to do. We will get there. We just got to be patient .

• Like 6

Guest MustardSeed
12 minutes ago, metafour said:

The last guy in Year 8 of his tenure: "8-5 is fine, losing to South Carolina is fine, they'll get better next year."

The new guy in Year 1 of a rebuild: "Losing by one possession on the road against a Top 5 team shows that he's in over his head."

🙄

And besting LSU on the road in an ugly but fiery game for the first time in 22 years…

”We have major issues…and why are our coaches such morons?”

I think the past few years has brought a good bit of the fan base from a place of “hope for the best, prepare for the worst” to a place of “expect the worst, and if there’s hope squash it before it grows and hurts me again”

The ability of Harsin and staff to make halftime adjustments is light years... ahead of what we had the last eight years.

We will continue to improve as the staff learns what the players are capable of doing in these new systems.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

And I need to learn my own patience. Honestly , I can tell with the frustration on CBH face he is having to teach all these players football 101. You can tell there is a deficiency in the mental aspect with this group . @cole256 has kept me grounded with CDM because I have to believe the way these players play on the field is not how they are being taught in practice . This is the second week in a row where it has been mentioned that the defense has just executed better in the second half. Even playing off the ball, some of these guys instinctively seem to not get it. Alabama had the same scheme against ole miss and their players instinctively also know what to do. We will get there. We just got to be patient .

Yep. It takes much longer to undo bad habits than it does to build them.  We are still going to experience growing pains. But, if we can find a groove and dig in, we've got a chance to really start building. Improvement will drive hype and that will hopefully lead to more wins on the recruiting trail. Start filling in some holes and we will see where we are really headed. 

25 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Just an FYI,

Every coach at every school will be compared to the previous coach at said school. Especially when the previous coach was fired for lack of success. Gus was compared to Chizik. Chizik compared to Tubbs, Tubbs compared to Terry and Terry was compared to Dye.  And that’s just in my lifetime.

Gus will be brought up and compared to because it is required to compare to the previous staffs to analyze if levels of improvement are being achieved  

Harsin being 1-0 in a situation where Gus was 0-13 is extremely noteworthy. He deserves recognition for that. Even if he doesn’t work out it’s a very positive sign at the moment  

And as for the 1-0 mentality I think the fans are going to need to adopt this as well until things get going a little smoother. The players are learning and the coaches are learning about the players as they go along. Every game will be different and last week's result won't matter. What matters is what they learned about themselves and each other that will improve the chances of being 1-0 this weekend. Obviously putting together multiple 1-0 games means a pretty good season if they keep learning and improving. LSU is over, time for Georgia. 

• Love 1

Guest MustardSeed
9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I didn't remember that Dinardo was fired that year...but I feel pretty certain that the Auburn loss was the beginning of the end for him, not just a stop along the way, because it seems like they were favored pretty big.

It's also interesting to note that this is only our 6th win in Baton Rouge all time.

Yep. We are now 6-19-1 from my math and 13-8 at Jordan Hare. 
Denardo was their version of Barfield. So yeah, the last time we won in BR was against a Barfield type coach.  Orgeron may be on the down slide but his record is infinitely better overall

44 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Who is bringing up Gus now?  When we beat bama 3 times, win the West twice and play for a natty, we will know more.

The last West title was the reason we kept that genius two years too long.  It was obvious he could only recruit stars and none were where we needed them (OL and DL for instance).  He couldn’t recruit or develop a QB to save his career.  Harsin will have to recruit his players to fill his needs.  If Hunter is his type of player we may be in for a show.  Get behind him, you can always be a UCF fan as well as an Auburn fan.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

LSU is over, time for Georgia. 

Come on now. I can get this mentality for the coaches and players, but we're fans. Can you not give us at least one day to savor our first victory at LSU in this century?

• Like 3

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, gr82be said:

And as for the 1-0 mentality I think the fans are going to need to adopt this as well until things get going a little smoother. The players are learning and the coaches are learning about the players as they go along. Every game will be different and last week's result won't matter. What matters is what they learned about themselves and each other that will improve the chances of being 1-0 this weekend. Obviously putting together multiple 1-0 games means a pretty good season if they keep learning and improving. LSU is over, time for Georgia. 

Agreed

I think last week there were a lot of signs of players having not bought in to the new system yet. I think that was expected with a big change of style from softer coaching to more business style coaching.  No one had to look over their shoulder in previous years. They got by on talent. They didn’t have to earn it every day. Now they do.  The culture change was bound to have ripples. Last week we saw them. Last night we saw some ripples moving towards more players buying in.  I cannot express how huge last night was for team morale, trust in this staff moving forward, trust in the QB to give his all, trust in the player next to you where if I give it my all the player next to me will step up too, etc. 

Im expecting a rough game Saturday, but we took some extremely important steps forward last night. A very welcome sight. 

I don’t want to bash previous coaching but not running up the middle on first down every time is refreshing to watch! And the tight ends being so involved is just fun to watch. Only time will tell what Harsin’s teams will look like but I am enjoying the change in scenery 

• Like 4