What Kiesau brings to the receiver group

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I think the biggest difference is that the Boise guys that Harsin brought with him, or hired later, are more experienced.  Kiesau, in particular, has more P5 experience than any OC Gus ever hired.  If I were a betting man, I would wager that any Boise assistants Harsin brings, are being brought simply because Harsin knows they do a good job.

Harsin spent most of his assistant coach years working for Chris Petersen, then Mack Brown briefly.  Malzahn spent his working for guys like Houston Nutt, Todd Graham, and Gene Chizik.  Harsin worked for head coaches that could build and sustain successful programs, while Malzahn never did.

Yup. Harsin's pedigree is so far beyond Gus's it's ridiculous. Still, heavy Boise flavor so far. I'm optimistic but concerns are valid.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Right, its just a bad example. Ppl worried about Harsin trying to make Auburn Bosie of the South stems from him bringing a ton of coaches with him from BSU.

Saban from MSU brought absolutely no one to LSU. 

He’s talking about system and ways of thinking about building programs.

Edited by toddc

11 hours ago, TJRanger175 said:

From my understanding, it was a move that needed to be made and could be done right now due to Kiesau being on staff. 

C-Will, while a good coach and a great recruiter, came from a rather simple offensive system that used speed and simplicity to throw off defenses. It is entirely possible that while he is a promising young coach, he was out of his depth. That does not make him a bad person or a bad coach, just a bad fit.

Bottom line- everything about the offense is struggling right now, but the WR's have been really abysmal.

Kiesau is not only an outstanding WR coach, but a great OC as well.

That means another set of eyes in addition to Bobo and Harsin, but this time he has more of a seat at the table.

I also expect we will have the better players on the field more and way more accountability in the WR room.

Best take on the situation in this thread.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, toddc said:

He’s talking about system and ways of thinking about building programs.

And I'm explaining ppl aren't worried about his system and ways when talking "Boise South" they are more concerned about people, coaching talent, recruiting prowess of the coaches he is bring with him.

Saban brought no one and essentially upgraded his whole staff.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

And I'm explaining ppl aren't worried about his system and ways when talking "Boise South" they are more concerned about people, coaching talent, recruiting prowess of the coaches he is bring with him.

Saban brought no one and essentially upgraded his whole staff.

That's fair.

For the record, Saban tried to bring some of his staff but they did not want to leave the north.

My main point is that it should not matter how many people he brings over. In terms of recruiting, parents are more interested in how a program is going to help develop their son. Importance is placed on having a system that lays out a road map for that development.

That is one of the main reasons Saban is a great recruiter (as well as Meyer). They brought in processes that were well defined. Parents and HS coaches are both attracted to highly organized programs.

They are selling value over substance.

The past decade plus at Auburn on the other hand, probably over relied on how awesome Auburn is. We have seen College recruiting's equivalent of "used car salesmen" pitching how amazing Auburn is, without a solid plan on how the program and the Creed are used to benefit a promising recruit.

Now we have a coach who seems to have a solid plan that he can back up with the Auburn Experience.

A better example probably would have been Urban Meyer, who brought most of his staff from Utah to Florida. There were a couple of people with SEC experience (Charlie Strong), but most of them did not have SEC experience.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

That's fair.

For the record, Saban tried to bring some of his staff but they did not want to leave the north.

My main point is that it should not matter how many people he brings over. In terms of recruiting, parents are more interested in how a program is going to help develop their son. Importance is placed on having a system that lays out a road map for that development.

That is one of the main reasons Saban is a great recruiter (as well as Meyer). They brought in processes that were well defined. Parents and HS coaches are both attracted to highly organized programs.

They are selling value over substance.

The past decade plus at Auburn on the other hand, probably over relied on how awesome Auburn is. We have seen College recruiting's equivalent of "used car salesmen" pitching how amazing Auburn is, without a solid plan on how the program and the Creed are used to benefit a promising recruit.

Now we have a coach who seems to have a solid plan that he can back up with the Auburn Experience.

A better example probably would have been Urban Meyer, who brought most of his staff from Utah to Florida. There were a couple of people with SEC experience (Charlie Strong), but most of them did not have SEC experience.

I don't really mind the BSU coaches.  He needs guys he's familiar with.  I'm not sure I totally buy into just the "process", they need to show NFL development, which you also touched on.  

I do think there is a little bit of underselling the pure sales aspect of recruiting.  I don't think Chiz had the best process, but he had some dogs on the recruiting trail.  Saban is an elite closer & recruiter AND runs a great program.

Unless we win, the best process isn't going to matter.  We need to win, have an elite process defined, and have elite recruiters.

3 hours ago, TJRanger175 said:

A better example probably would have been Urban Meyer, who brought most of his staff from Utah to Florida. There were a couple of people with SEC experience (Charlie Strong), but most of them did not have SEC experience

Good example with the DC being the important outlier. 

Edited by McLoofus