Auburn is currently putting itself through the wringer

aubiefifty

Auburn is currently putting itself through the wringer.

After a hot start at home, the Tigers fell on the road 28-20 against now No. 4 Penn State. This past Saturday, Auburn needed a come-from-behind win sparked by backup quarterback TJ Finley to beat Georgia State.

This week Auburn fired their receivers coach and a quarterback controversy is beginning to brew. Not only are there plenty of off-the-field distractions for Auburn, but the Tigers still need to figure out how to adjust after giving up over 200 yards rushing and 24 points to Georgia State in the first half.

Here’s a breakdown of Auburn by each position group.

Quarterback: C-

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

As an entire unit, Auburn is averaging 227.2 passing yards per game (eighth in the SEC). Neither Nix nor Finley have thrown an interception this season, but they haven’t been explosive either. Whoever starts for Auburn won’t blow the doors off of this LSU defense.

Running Back: A

The combination of Tank Bigsby (403 yards, four touchdowns) and Jarquez Hunter (382 yards, 2 touchdowns) is lethal. Unlike against Mississippi State, LSU will most likely opt for more down lineman against Auburn this weekend.

Wide Receivers: C

Auburn’s receiving core has been incredibly inconsistent this season. The Tigers lack a true deep threat at the position. Kobe Hudson (197 yards receiving, one touchdown) and Shedrick Jackson (166 yards, one touchdown) lead the way, but after firing their receivers coach I can’t imagine things are going to click immediately for this group.

Offensive Line: B

Auburn’s offensive line was an area of concern last season, but with five seniors on the line this year, the Tigers have been able to hold the point of attack up front. Both pass blocking and run blocking have been just fine so far this season.

Defensive Line: C+

Auburn’s defensive line has been a mixed bag. While the Tigers have been solid at stopping the run, they gave up over 200 yards rushing this last weekend to Georgia State. The pass rush has not been particularly impressive either. That was on full display against Penn State.

Linebackers: A-

Chandler Wooten (32 tackles), Zakoby McClain (23 tackles), and Owen Pappoe (15 tackles) from a strong trio at the linebacker spot for Auburn.

Defensive Backs: C-

There have been blown coverages galore for this Auburn secondary. If LSU can take advantage of Auburn’s poor safety play, they will carve Auburn up.

some of you will disagree with this but i think it is on point. this pretty much backs up what cole said about other aspects of the team playing badly.

ed is gonna sell out to stop the run so one of our qb's needs to step up big time.i think tj should start but i want whoever gives us the best chance to win. i do like where harsin is not telling who is starting so they have to work on both but if we do not play better at qb we will lose.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn is currently putting itself through the wringer.

After a hot start at home, the Tigers fell on the road 28-20 against now No. 4 Penn State. This past Saturday, Auburn needed a come-from-behind win sparked by backup quarterback TJ Finley to beat Georgia State.

This week Auburn fired their receivers coach and a quarterback controversy is beginning to brew. Not only are there plenty of off-the-field distractions for Auburn, but the Tigers still need to figure out how to adjust after giving up over 200 yards rushing and 24 points to Georgia State in the first half.

Here’s a breakdown of Auburn by each position group.

Quarterback: C-

As an entire unit, Auburn is averaging 227.2 passing yards per game (eighth in the SEC). Neither Nix nor Finley have thrown an interception this season, but they haven’t been explosive either. Whoever starts for Auburn won’t blow the doors off of this LSU defense.

Running Back: A

The combination of Tank Bigsby (403 yards, four touchdowns) and Jarquez Hunter (382 yards, 2 touchdowns) is lethal. Unlike against Mississippi State, LSU will most likely opt for more down lineman against Auburn this weekend.

Wide Receivers: C

Auburn’s receiving core has been incredibly inconsistent this season. The Tigers lack a true deep threat at the position. Kobe Hudson (197 yards receiving, one touchdown) and Shedrick Jackson (166 yards, one touchdown) lead the way, but after firing their receivers coach I can’t imagine things are going to click immediately for this group.

Offensive Line: B

Auburn’s offensive line was an area of concern last season, but with five seniors on the line this year, the Tigers have been able to hold the point of attack up front. Both pass blocking and run blocking have been just fine so far this season.

Defensive Line: C+

Auburn’s defensive line has been a mixed bag. While the Tigers have been solid at stopping the run, they gave up over 200 yards rushing this last weekend to Georgia State. The pass rush has not been particularly impressive either. That was on full display against Penn State.

Linebackers: A-

Chandler Wooten (32 tackles), Zakoby McClain (23 tackles), and Owen Pappoe (15 tackles) from a strong trio at the linebacker spot for Auburn.

Defensive Backs: C-

There have been blown coverages galore for this Auburn secondary. If LSU can take advantage of Auburn’s poor safety play, they will carve Auburn up.

some of you will disagree with this but i think it is on point. this pretty much backs up what cole said about other aspects of the team playing badly.

ed is gonna sell out to stop the run so one of our qb's needs to step up big time.i think tj should start but i want whoever gives us the best chance to win. i do like where harsin is not telling who is starting so they have to work on both but if we do not play better at qb we will lose.

We'll actually need to complete some of those deep balls we've been consistently missing and finally pressure an opposing QB into making mistakes. I think we'll be fired up to play this one though.

• Like 2

here is corch jays take on the game

Observations

Took balls by Coach Harsin to pull his QB but was the right call. I don’t know who will be the starter next week Bo and TJ are about the same player so we will see. Good call by coach Harsin to make a change and seemed to provide a spark.

Like I mentioned above both QBs played about the same not much difference at all. But if the players rally behind TJ then he should be the starter. We don’t have enough information about TJ to really know what his mental make up will be. What we do know is that Bo won’t lose you many games but we also know he won’t win you games either.

Back to in game observations I don’t think I have ever seen a QB benched that hasn’t thrown an INT. Just a bizarre occurrence. WR play was horrible again. The drops will drive you insane.

OL - Ga state was play run all the way. Even safeties crashing the box. Their DL was slanting two gaps across the face of the OL 2 gaps not just a normal one gap and our lineman were missing assignments getting caught up in the traffic and not able to climb to the free running linebackers. They slanted almost always to the QB side anticipating the zone opposite the running back. (Want to note I mentioned we need a slasher running in our stable of backs in the recruiting thread last week this is the reason why Tank and Hunter both are cut backs but not slashers.). Anyway to adjust to that we should have had plays like the counter and toss sweep either from the gun or under center to counter that. That’s why Hunter and Tank would look like no one was even in the area sometimes running straight up the middle the DL slanted so far. Worked well for Ga state because we didn’t adjust.

Wooten and Steiner aren’t McClain and Pappoe but they have to get better at run fits. Most of the big plays were missed assignments. An option(ish) team you have to stop inside out. Take the dive away, then the QB, then the pitch man. We failed on multiple occasions. The DL played average but the back 7 were really bad the first half. Something is broken in either our scheme or communication on the back end. Seems to center around safety but also seems calls are coming in to late to get lined up sometimes. Zakoby is a monster. He is t ideal size but he is a straight baller. Seemed to settle everything down with his return in thr 2nd half. We still can’t generate a pass rush but I like Eku opposite of Wooden. He plays with leverage doesn’t rush up field on pass rush and is a good mix with Hall and TD hope yo see more of him.

Special teams were about the same made some big plays blocked kick for score (Congrats Caylin). To many penalties, muffed punt, missed FG.

At the end of the day we stole a win. Coaches coached hard but were way to basic in the first half. Took to long to adjust. Everyone seemed to have a good play and then 2 bad plays.

On to Red Stick. I have no idea if we win 8 conference games or lose 8. Hold on tight October looks brutal

i have no idea why  he was runnoft but i wish he was back. we seem to let one or two others back that were let go. so do not shoot me if he slapped someones mama or something and i do not want to hear any garbage because he is not able to defend himself here. and i do not know him well either but i enjoyed his takes on here.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a good assessment of the personnel...not gonna argue with grades...

LSU should be simple to defense...double cover the only receiver they have and pressure the line/QB.  Not sure if Mason's zone-bail defense is up for that.

First 2 games Auburn looks great

Last 2 games sky is falling and the coach is incompetent 

whatever it takes Auburn fans to click the articles.