My opinion of the difference in the QB play

cole256

This is how I feel it looked THIS GAME. Bo isn't accurate. He didn't throw balls to his guy, he lobs balls to his target and when he tries to throw the ball sails on him. It's very simple, and it's clear as day. And when things start getting tough he's not where he needs to be with his fundamentals. Harsin sort of mentioned this indirectly.

Now these are things I have preached and pointed out over a year ago so I can't be accused of just jumping on a trend or anything. I got specific so clearly I see this. I said the thing about blaming it all on Gus is when a real offense with pro concepts gets installed it will be difficult to a guy who isn't good fundamentally.

Now one thing that was mentioned to me in different threads was the completion percentage......I've never been just a number guy, I think numbers can be manipulated by a person that's smart enough. You have to watch the game. Finley just throws the ball better, but this game in particular he had 4 throws that hit the hand or finger tips. I'm not saying they should've been caught because they were difficult throws but let's be real. He came in a game cold, team looks as if they are going to lose down, all the pressure in the world and he's not getting the reps. It's ridiculous to compare it and say well Bo was this number and he was that number and that's it. No his timing was slightly off and why wouldn't it be. But he knew where to go with the ball, which is the most important.

Also while discussing this, the skinny post that was just missed to canion I think.....that's a throw that a lob can't get to. Missing 6 inches to the right is much different than 2 feet to high in the air. They are both incompletions but let's not pretend they are the same as far as improving. 

Ok something else, I guess we can agree to disagree but Finley didn't look ancy at all, maybe the first couple of series but when it was we either do this or lose he looked his most calm. I don't see how you can be ice cold in that situation then a knock on you is you looked ancy. Not to mention all the pressures mentioned earlier. He kept his eyes down field and made at least 4 plays when under pressure....But the knock is how he looked under pressure? 

I have a few more points too but I don't want to go on and on on the first post, like how he won the game making a throw that Bo missed two td's on earlier.....but if anybody want to discuss let's.

Also if you do decide to discuss and if I reply back and don't agree, that's not a personal slight. No feelings need to be hurt. You can disagree and still respect each other.....that is missed on here a bunch

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

but if anybody want to discuss let's.

I know you quoted me in the other thread that you'd start this one...but I can't really compare the two bc I didn't watch the 1st half at all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I know you quoted me in the other thread that you'd start this one...but I can't really compare the two bc I didn't watch the 1st half at all

Well you brought up the points made were good and I gave a rebuttal but if you don't want to discuss you certainly don't have to. It's ok

I watched the game and I believe as you Finley throws a better ball. His release is fast and the ball has velocity with OK accuracy, which I expect would get better with more game reps. This is not to say Nix is not fixable, but it will take time because it just seems he is not processing the field fast enough in a very fast game. The deep ball has to be an option , which I hope Finely can execute, to give us more space to operate more passing routes and help the running game. 

• Like 1

Over-throws a wide-open receiver in the endzone (Capers or Canion - don't remember which one). Sails the ball over Luke Deals' head - who was wide open. Overthrows a wide-open Johnson on a gimme-touchdown on a pass that wasn't even close.

He's a thrower, not a passer. One pass is great, the next is nowhere near an open receiver. This team isn't good enough to absorb 3-4+ absolutely brutal misses to wide-open receivers. The receivers themselves are a mess, but at least put the ball on their hands - if they drop it so be it, but I don't see what else you can do or say at this point when you call a play, the receiver is 5+ yards open, and the ball isn't even in the vicinity of the receiver on the pass.

He looks completely robotic.

• Like 3

I honestly don't feel overly confident in either Qb,but I'll give Tj a lil lead way coming in cold. Tj missed some of the same throws Bo missed. Wr dropped a few of Bo's passes as well. I have no ideer why but they have eliminated Bo's running altogether.  Tj I think goes through his progressions alot better than Bo.

• Like 3

Just now, metafour said:

Over-throws a wide-open receiver in the endzone (Capers or Canion - don't remember which one). Sails the ball over Luke Deals' head - who was wide open. Overthrows a wide-open Johnson on a gimme-touchdown on a pass that wasn't even close.

He's a thrower, not a passer. One pass is great, the next is nowhere near an open receiver. This team isn't good enough to absorb 3-4+ absolutely brutal misses to wide-open receivers. The receivers themselves are a mess, but at least put the ball on their hands - if they drop it so be it, but I don't see what else you can do or say at this point when you call a play, the receiver is 5+ yards open, and the ball isn't even in the vicinity of the receiver on the pass.

He looks completely robotic.

My theory as to why he missed those endzone throws is he has to give it everything he has to attempt the throw. When Finley threw it it seemed he took stuff off his throw and put touch on it. 

That's just a theory though, it's what it looked like on the TV. I wasn't at the game. 

It seems like Bo is at his best when he's lobbing the ball, like you said a thrower and not a passer

I haven't posted here in almost a decade (hello old friends). The only reason I'm posting today is to say IF TJ starts and plays, I hope he thrives (like I do with all Auburn players). I'll never understand any so called fan that spews vitriol towards an Auburn player regardless of performance. Use to be that kind of fandom was a Gump thing. I've never in my life as a fan wanted to emulate what a Gump would do. Btw, this is no directed at the op. Just Auburn fans in general. All that said if he's healthy I'd start Bo and wouldn't think twice. Mainly because if he's on he is by far the best option at QB. Also lets not forget Bo (and TJs) numbers in the last Auburn-LSU game.

Capture+_2021-09-26-11-00-36.png

Edited by The SandMntTiger
  • Like 1

TJ missed some throws, and I'm not going to sit here and say that's acceptable like how people have tried to justify Bo's issues for three years. However, besides the Kobe Hudson end zone throws, he was missing by mere inches. If he gets the reps this week, maybe he can get that ironed out. We also saw Canion and Capers with TJ, probably because they have good chemistry with him since they were all second team. Those two and Kobe need to start next week, with both Johnsons getting snaps. I expect more under center and some play action with TJ, or Bobo just wants to get fired

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well you brought up the points made were good and I gave a rebuttal but if you don't want to discuss you certainly don't have to. It's ok

I'm just telling you I can't compare the two in this game, which seemed like the point ITT.

WRT just Finley and no comparison to Bo, it was good and bad vs a poor opponent. I liked the last drive. Love his arm strength, seemed to have control/understanding of the offense and made some pre snap reads.

He was still pretty inaccurate and it's not like his YPA was massive. I can live with someone being a 60% passer if they are near 10 in YPA vs 6.

At the end of the day he still missed a lot of open WRs. Hopefully timing gets better as he gets more reps with the 1s this week and he plays well at LSU next week.

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is how I feel it looked THIS GAME. Bo isn't accurate. He didn't throw balls to his guy, he lobs balls to his target and when he tries to throw the ball sails on him. It's very simple, and it's clear as day. And when things start getting tough he's not where he needs to be with his fundamentals. Harsin sort of mentioned this indirectly.

Now these are things I have preached and pointed out over a year ago so I can't be accused of just jumping on a trend or anything. I got specific so clearly I see this. I said the thing about blaming it all on Gus is when a real offense with pro concepts gets installed it will be difficult to a guy who isn't good fundamentally.

Now one thing that was mentioned to me in different threads was the completion percentage......I've never been just a number guy, I think numbers can be manipulated by a person that's smart enough. You have to watch the game. Finley just throws the ball better, but this game in particular he had 4 throws that hit the hand or finger tips. I'm not saying they should've been caught because they were difficult throws but let's be real. He came in a game cold, team looks as if they are going to lose down, all the pressure in the world and he's not getting the reps. It's ridiculous to compare it and say well Bo was this number and he was that number and that's it. No his timing was slightly off and why wouldn't it be. But he knew where to go with the ball, which is the most important.

Also while discussing this, the skinny post that was just missed to canion I think.....that's a throw that a lob can't get to. Missing 6 inches to the right is much different than 2 feet to high in the air. They are both incompletions but let's not pretend they are the same as far as improving. 

Ok something else, I guess we can agree to disagree but Finley didn't look ancy at all, maybe the first couple of series but when it was we either do this or lose he looked his most calm. I don't see how you can be ice cold in that situation then a knock on you is you looked ancy. Not to mention all the pressures mentioned earlier. He kept his eyes down field and made at least 4 plays when under pressure....But the knock is how he looked under pressure? 

I have a few more points too but I don't want to go on and on on the first post, like how he won the game making a throw that Bo missed two td's on earlier.....but if anybody want to discuss let's.

Also if you do decide to discuss and if I reply back and don't agree, that's not a personal slight. No feelings need to be hurt. You can disagree and still respect each other.....that is missed on here a bunch

I started watching Bo live his Jr year in HS.  He had the same issues then. I stated numerous times he needed to set a few season and learn the basics on footwork, etc.  Bo has has D1 coaches since he was a child and still he cannot get simple mechanics down.  He may never play another meaningful snap at QB again. 

• Like 3

I’ll take a swing.   Bo has given plenty of film for everyone to see that he is just an average QB.   The post pass that was 5 yards overthrown on his last possession is completely unacceptable in year three.   
Finley came into the game much later than I would put him in.   He would have been in the game on possession four if I were making the calls.  He clearly has the better arm and seems to keep his eyes down field better.   He did over shoot a couple of sure touchdowns just like Bo, but like you said, he was just getting into the game.   Still, he over threw the one play ten yards.  That’s just natural awareness and I hope it gets better but I’m worried that he may have what Bo has, no awareness.    
The bottom line is both are put in very bad positions because the Oline completely sucks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I'm just telling you I can't compare the two in this game, which seemed like the point ITT.

WRT just Finley and no comparison to Bo, it was good and bad vs a poor opponent. I liked the last drive. Love his arm strength, seemed to have control/understanding of the offense and made some pre snap reads.

He was still pretty inaccurate and it's not like his YPA was massive. I can live with someone being a 60% passer if they are near 10 in YPA vs 6.

At the end of the day he still missed a lot of open WRs. Hopefully timing gets better as he gets more reps with the 1s this week and he plays well at LSU next week.

Right and I posted a rebuttal to that and of course your numbers will go up with ypa if you complete the passes. But anyway there were much different circumstances when Finley had to throw than when Bo did. I'm just going to always point that out when the inaccurate stuff is brought up

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’ll take a swing.   Bo has given plenty of film for everyone to see that he is just an average QB.   The post pass that was 5 yards overthrown on his last possession is completely unacceptable in year three.   
Finley came into the game much later than I would put him in.   He would have been in the game on possession four if I were making the calls.  He clearly has the better arm and seems to keep his eyes down field better.   He did over shoot a couple of sure touchdowns just like Bo, but like you said, he was just getting into the game.   Still, he over threw the one play ten yards.  That’s just natural awareness and I hope it gets better but I’m worried that he may have what Bo has, no awareness.    
The bottom line is both are put in very bad positions because the Oline completely sucks

The throw on third down was the only pass that frustrated me as far as incompletions. It's high pressure situation but he had made a few plays before that so he needs to hit that one. I agree

Edited by cole256

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

TJ missed some throws, and I'm not going to sit here and say that's acceptable like how people have tried to justify Bo's issues for three years. However, besides the Kobe Hudson end zone throws, he was missing by mere inches. If he gets the reps this week, maybe he can get that ironed out. We also saw Canion and Capers with TJ, probably because they have good chemistry with him since they were all second team. Those two and Kobe need to start next week, with both Johnsons getting snaps. I expect more under center and some play action with TJ, or Bobo just wants to get fired

I liked the fact that they showed up when he came in. He was spreading it everywhere. Not locked in to one person

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, metafour said:

The receivers themselves are a mess

Feel likenthe WRs had a really good game.

They were constantly open, at least in the 2nd half and from the highlights a few good plays in the 1st

6 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

I started watching Bo live his Jr year in HS.  He had the same issues then. I stated numerous times he needed to set a few season and learn the basics on footwork, etc.  Bo has has D1 coaches since he was a child and still he cannot get simple mechanics down.  He may never play another meaningful snap at QB again. 

I said this and it ruffled some. Your footwork is literally the first thing a QB is taught. I'm talking 5th and 6th grade. To a QB it's like dribbling with a point guard in basketball and his dad being a qb and a coach and Bo being so behind in that......It's just very very weird

8 minutes ago, The SandMntTiger said:

I haven't posted here in almost a decade (hello old friends). The only reason I'm posting today is to say IF TJ starts and plays, I hope he thrives (like I do with all Auburn players). I'll never understand any so called fan that spews vitriol towards an Auburn player regardless of performance. Use to be that kind of fandom was a Gump thing. I've never in my life as a fan wanted to emulate what a Gump would do. Btw, this is no directed at the op. Just Auburn fans in general. All that said if he's healthy I'd start Bo and wouldn't think twice. Mainly because if he's on he is by far the best option at QB. Also lets not forget Bo (and TJs) numbers in the last Auburn-LSU game.

Capture+_2021-09-26-11-00-36.png

Certainly fair points but Bo is not the same QB on the road. He wasn't even the Home QB that he had been yesterday. Neither of them are world beaters to date but I think TJ has to be given a shot at a start. Bo has been given ample opportunity and hasn't capitalized. The bottom line for me is which one the team rallies around. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right and I posted a rebuttal to that and of course your numbers will go up with ypa if you complete the passes. But anyway there were much different circumstances when Finley had to throw than when Bo did. I'm just going to always point that out when the inaccurate stuff is brought up

YPA will also go up if you actually hit deep balls. Not just more completions. 

I think we'll see that with Finley. We might get the same inaccuracies, but hitting deep passes will change the game, flip the field, and he'll be more effective 

Give TJ first team reps and figure out your receiver rotation.  I think the kid just has more poise than anyone of us expected, after what our Defense did to him last year.  Before he came in, I literally questioned whether or not his signing with AU was a good thin.  I was of the belief that Demetrius Davis is the future of the team, and having TJ available, would keep the coaches from being forced to playing DD because of Bo's shortcomings.  Now, I am pretty excited about what we have in both TJ and DD.

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

YPA will also go up if you actually hit deep balls. Not just more completions. 

I think we'll see that with Finley. We might get the same inaccuracies, but hitting deep passes will change the game, flip the field, and he'll be more effective 

Right and like we thought with Bo. Reps matter. He came in a game cold as the number 2 him not hitting guys and being slightly off makes sense. Throwing high every throw and missing when you have reps doesn't

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I actually think Bo is going to start

Probably, said it in another thread. It'll be dumb, hopefully Harsin doesn't do it

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Probably, said it in another thread. It'll be dumb, hopefully Harsin doesn't do it

His on field interview seemed like it. Most important thing though is this week both QB's will practice like they have something to lose

• Like 1