What they’re saying nationally

aubiefifty

What they're saying about Auburn's late rally, QB change vs. Georgia State

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
2-3 minutes

Shedrick Jackson, Quavian White

Auburn wide receiver Shedrick Jackson (11) catches a pass for a touchdown over Georgia State cornerback Quavian White (20) to take the lead in the final minute of the second half of an NCAA football game Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021, in Auburn, Ala. Auburn won 34-24. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

What was set to be a final tune-up before the start of SEC play turned into a dramatic and quite eventful homecoming for Auburn on Saturday.

After trailing by 12 at halftime, Auburn rallied to defeat Georgia State, 34-24, thanks to some late-game heroics by LSU transfer quarterback T.J. Finley, who replaced third-year starter Bo Nix late in the third quarter. Finley’s late touchdown pass to Shedrick Jackson, paired with Smoke Monday’s pick-six -- both of which came in the game’s final minute -- helped the Tigers avoid disaster against the Panthers.

It also brought about conversation about Auburn’s quarterback situation moving forward, with the start of SEC play next weekend on the road at LSU.

Here’s a look at what’s being said across the country about Auburn’s comeback win and the Tigers’ quarterback position:

-- At least we know Bryan Harsin has guts (AL.com)

-- Georgia State coach Shawn Elliott says Auburn was helped by referees (ESPN)

-- After replacing Bo Nix, T.J. Finley seems like a good bet to start against his former team (Associated Press)

-- Shedrick Jackson’s late touchdown catch rallies Auburn past Georgia State (Associated Press)

-- Georgia State was one play away from its second SEC win in as many tries (247Sports)

-- Auburn avoids upset with help from officials (Yahoo Sports)

-- No one expected it to be so close, but T.J. Finley saved the day for Auburn (CBS Sports)

-- Auburn avoids upset with wild late score (Sports Illustrated)

-- Auburn needs late comeback to avoid home loss to Georgia State. Not Georgia. (Bleacher Report)

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I think the "guts" comment is kinda dumb. I don't think he had a choice. We needed a spark, and Bo wasn't playing so well. Had he not made the change, and we lost, people (myself included) would be questioning his coaching.

Also, the "help from officials" comments are a little overblown. While maybe a bad call (in Auburn's favor), it's not like it was the final play of the game, or even a 4th down play.

Everything else is fair.

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

I think the "guts" comment is kinda dumb. I don't think he had a choice. We needed a spark, and Bo wasn't playing so well. Had he not made the change, and we lost, people (myself included) would be questioning his coaching.

Also, the "help from officials" comments are a little overblown. While maybe a bad call (in Auburn's favor), it's not like it was the final play of the game, or even a 4th down play.

Everything else is fair.

While I think the "he had guts" part is a bit overstated, he absolutely had a choice. Did you watch games with the previous HC? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

While I think the "he had guts" part is a bit overstated, he absolutely had a choice. Did you watch games with the previous HC? 

Yeah, and I was frustrated with Gus for not changing things. e.g. not putting in Gatewood @ Florida after 3 INTs.

1 minute ago, yngwie1995 said:

Yeah, and I was frustrated with Gus for not changing things. e.g. not putting in Gatewood @ Florida after 3 INTs.

Yep. That was the game that we all knew it was Bo or bust with Gus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Considering Gatewood is still not even a 2nd string QB, if I was Gus I wouldn't trust him either. 

Did those 'sources' report last week that "Penn State was helped helped by the officials" ?  

The no call PI and removing Z McClain  last week were much more impactful that upholding the call on the field yesterday. 

Heck...how about the no review on the safety last week?  

Also...how about the PI yesterday on the post route where the Ga State DB pushed our WR in the back just before he tried to catch the TD pass???  

I just love click bait reporting.  That is why don't click any of that crap.  I trust what I see and enjoy what this site posts...

7 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You gotta earn it, that’s how it works.

Nah I'm not arguing for us to be higher I'm saying it's ridiculous that they're doing so good and we're...at where we're at.

• Like 2