Matchups to watch vs Georgia State

aubiefifty

Matchups to watch in Auburn's game vs Georgia State

Zac Blackerby
2-3 minutes

We will see how this Auburn football team bounces back from their first loss of the season on Saturday.

The Tigers host Georgia State in Jordan-Hare Stadium for their annual Homecoming game this weekend.

The Panthers will be the second toughest opponent that Auburn has faced this season and could provide a real opportunity to improve and get back on track before the road trip to LSU.

In Bryan Harsin’s first Homecoming game during his Auburn tenure, I think all eyes should be on the defense. Typically, I highlight matchups on both sides of the ball but I believe the defensive side of the ball is what Auburn fans should be keeping a close eye on this Saturday.

Here are the important matchups to watch on Saturday.

15-Auburn-7.jpg

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Pickney was one of the players Harsin brought up by name in his press conference this week. His 6-foot-4, 210-pound frame has helped him become one of the best receivers in the Sun Belt.

Normally, I typically pair the opposing best receiver against Roger McCreary but the big question after Penn State is how the other corners do against the opposition’s top guy.

3765246486cc4f2cadc646e970d55452.jpg

AP Photo/Barry Reeger

McCoy is known for his elite speed and is primarily used in the slot.

I wanted to highlight the matchup against Kaufman because he’s a name we haven’t heard much about once the season started. That’s almost always a good thing for a defensive back.

game10.jpg

Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports

Georgia State likes to use two tight end sets. We all saw how well Auburn defended the tight ends against Penn State on Saturday. Can the Auburn defensive backfield get it together in stopping plays from happening in the middle of the field? Let’s see if Monday can help lead this group starting Saturday.

USATSI_16729778.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Georgia State has recently gone thru a QB change. Grainger took over the starting job last week and was a huge part of the game plan. he ran it 16 times vs Charlotte last week.

Wooten will need to step up this weekend with Zakoby McClain missing the first half due to targeting and Owen Pappoe recovering from injury.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Wooten will need to step up this weekend with Zakoby McClain missing the first half due to targeting and Owen Pappoe recovering from injury.

Truth!  LB has been the only bright spot on this D, and with our 2 best likely out (ZM for 1/2) Wooten and some of our younger guys are going to need to step up big time!  It’s a great opportunity for those guys!