Question....what are we wanting to see this week?

cole256

Stretch the damn field. Harsin has stressed this a ton. Get Dawson and Jet Johnson some opportunities. We know we got a great ground game, so lets figure out who our best receivers are and get in rhythm. If receivers are messing up, get them out and get others in. Conversely, if Bo can't stretch the field, give TJ a few chances. If TJ does well, maybe they consider giving him a package against LSU to help stretch the field

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Stretch the damn field. Harsin has stressed this a ton. Get Dawson and Jet Johnson some opportunities. We know we got a great ground game, so lets figure out who our best receivers are and get in rhythm. If receivers are messing up, get them out and get others in. Conversely, if Bo can't stretch the field, give TJ a few chances. If TJ does well, maybe they consider giving him a package against LSU to help stretch the field

All the talk we saw of Dawson and his speed in camp. He could be our deep threat. Put him out there!

Yeah. Hard to get jazzed about another win over a weak opponent. I don’t care if we were still in the game late, last week.  It was a miracle that we were still in it. We were outplayed.  That pass D (scheme) and Bo’s weak play, bad play calling.  I know where Cole is coming from. High hopes, then the whole WhiteOut excitement of possibly upsetting them on National TV, game-of-the-weekend,  then we got exposed. We need to play tough against SEC teams and what we had to watch last week does not bode well.  I’ve got odd feelings as well. And I feel badly about that too.  Not happy with Bo’s play and a big game against Georgia State is meaningless.  More unhappy with coaching but we may not see what the pass D changed, against a triple option.  But yeah, I’m in a weird place too.  

• Like 2

1) Ill be watching to see how we defend- do we communicate better are we in position. 

2) passes defended. I want to see us making plays on the ball

3) if we only rush three we better get home, or we better bring a delayed blitz or run something to get pressure 

4) offensively: a clean pocket, 0 pressures, opening holes in the run game

5) bo going through progressions, settling his feet down

6) WR making plays on the ball. Go get open and get the ball bo matter what. Step up. 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I was thinking, I expect us to look more like week 1 again...but how do I take it? I'm not going to be impressed with the QB play if he does well. I'd be pissed if he played bad. And that goes for every position now that I think about it. 

I feel that's a crappy situation and I wish I could feel different but as of now I don't. The only thing I can say is if we play well against a quality team I'm going to make sure to give props where they are due.

But how about some of you? How do you feel? Anybody feel like me? Or is it Cole is stupid or whatever. I'm interested on does anyone view it like me and sometimes feel bad. But it's all part of the game as well. 

I am not going to put much stock into what the players do so much this week. If they do great, there still isn't much to take away because of competition. If they do bad...Well...let's hope that doesn't happen.

I will paying more attention to what the coaches do with game-plan and personnel. Will we focus on passing game to try to improve it? Do they realize what Bo is and try to focus more on run game? What WRs are getting the most reps? Is TJ in early or DD and are they running the whole playbook with them? Will we be doing similar things on Def as the first 3 games. Do we stay in zone 90 percent of the time. Do we try to bring more blitz packages. Those are the types of things I will be watching for this week. I feel there is more to be gained from that than what the actual players do or don't. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1

I'm really sorry we're playing a triple option offense so we likely won't have much opportunity to work on pass defense. I'd like to see the defense know who's supposed to cover the tight end. I'd like some turnovers. Seriously, when was the last time we had a defense that forced a lot of turnovers? Even some of our good defenses under Steele didn't get many. And we got 0 against Akron. Sheesh! What is up with that? On offense no drops, no wrong routes, no missed blocks by the WRs. And win the Ryder Cup. Oh wait...  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Tiny Thighs Jackson

Lol!  Word of advice for opposing DB's, don't even think about going low and taking those legs out from under him.  Not gonna happen.

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

was thinking, I expect us to look more like week 1 again...but how do I take it?

We look like week 1 or week 2 it really doesn't matter tbqh.

It will be nice to look fundamentally sound by all players, but it's easier to do when we're playing a team that has been a D1 program for like 4 years

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We look like week 1 or week 2 it really doesn't matter tbqh.

It will be nice to look fundamentally sound by all players, but it's easier to do when we're playing a team that has been a D1 program for like 4 years

We also probably won’t see this style offense again.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

We also probably won’t see this style offense again.

Oh Geez, don't tell me they are an option team

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Oh Geez, don't tell me they are an option team

except for a small period when a coach tried to bring in i think the spread they have always been an option team. they won six natty's with most under erk russell. and they have beaten a couple of big boys in their day but it has been a while. in fact jawja almost hired erk for the head coaching position.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

except for a small period when a coach tried to bring in i think the spread they have always been an option team. they won six natty's with most under erk russell. and they have beaten a couple of big boys in their day but it has been a while. in fact jawja almost hired erk for the head coaching position.

Are you thinking of Ga Southern?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

We play Georgia State.  Not Georgia Southern

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

We play Georgia State.  Not Georgia Southern

my bad it is early. hell i looked it up and got the school wrong googling it as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Are you thinking of Ga Southern?

yes. i need more coffee. sorry freak............

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gravejd said:

Definitely want to see us dominate all phases of the game, but trying to be more specific than that... They run a triple option attack so i don't think we'll get much defensively out of the game that we can use going forward. But we do want to see our guys playing the run well and doing a good job of making tackles. When Ga St does throw the ball i hope we have someone in coverage. Good game to see if our guys in the secondary can stay focused on their job while not getting a lot of opportunities to shine. 

On offense i'd like to see the WRs make plays when a DB is close by. I want to see more WRs making those plays. Like Harsin said "lets see that depth". I'd like to see Shivers,  Jackson, and Ingram get a lot of touches. And i would like to see some TEs beside Shenker catch the ball and be used in the passing game. Finally i want to see some good deep throws by Bo. I also think this would be a great (and maybe last) chance to get DD some action in real games. I'm all for redshirting him but that can still be accomplished while getting him some playing time. 

Did you not see some deep balls thrown by BO in the first 2 games? he just can not do it in games that matter?!?!

15 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I think the difference between my thoughts and yours is I don’t land singularly on Bo for progress to be made. I hope they work on all the things they need to ( in my mind that is at least:  Bo’s downfield passing, receivers catching/getting open, pass rush by DL, and DB play.

BO has had 3 FREAKING YEARS????? for the love of you know what man..

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am not going to put much stock into what the players do so much this week. If they do great, there still isn't much to take away because of competition. If they do bad...Well...let's hope that doesn't happen.

I will paying more attention to what the coaches do with game-plan and personnel. Will we focus on passing game to try to improve it? Do they realize what Bo is and try to focus more on run game? What WRs are getting the most reps? Is TJ in early or DD and are they running the whole playbook with them? Will we be doing similar things on Def as the first 3 games. Do we stay in zone 90 percent of the time. Do we try to bring more blitz packages. Those are the types of things I will be watching for this week. I feel there is more to be gained from that than what the actual players do or don't. 

well said, I agree.

What I would like to see:

Run up the score as fast as possible, THEN- put as many people in the critical need spots as possible (OL/WR) to see if there is someone in those groups who performs only "so-so" in practice but turns it on in an actual game.

While I am a big believer that how you practice translates into how you perform the field, I do recognize that there are those who may not do well in practice but go "lights out" in front of a crowd.

I agree.  It is difficult to be “impressed” by anything that takes place this week, but it would be easy to be disappointed if things go south.   It’s a “no-win” situation from that standpoint.   
However, it is an opportunity for our guys to work on some things that didn’t go well last week.   I would like to see the D get some reps with some more exotic blitzes.   We are not going to be able to rush consistently with our front 3/4 against decent teams, so let’s practice some blitzes that might work.  The soft zone in the secondary is terrible.  Several teams we will be playing soon will tear that apart!!!  We need reps in a tighter zone, man, and/or combo coverages.  
On O, the main thing would be practicing certain routes with certain receivers to improve our effectiveness in the passing game.   Hopefully, the coaching staff can learn what works (plays and personnel) and what doesn’t.   I would also like to see some of our young talented receivers get more reps.   I also, would like to see Worm get the most carries.  He’s itching to go and the we’ve seen enough to know what we have with the other 2.  Worm has a ton of potential too (2 TDs on 3 touches).   We need all 3 of these guys rolling the rest of the way!!!

- Improved pass rush 

- Bo throw for 200+ yards. Stretch the field

- A WR to step up and be the man, catch passes, fundamentals in the route running and execution

- All three RB’s get plenty of touches or action

- Positive attitude and response after loss

- Absolutely destroy GSU. Score as much as possible. 

- Give DD snaps

We know this team had a better attitude on the road and never quit so I really hope they bounce back and Lee it up. They will need it next week and definitely the week after. 

Edited by woodford

1) Dominant win

2) More man coverage/ not as much cushion

3) GSU QB complete less than 62% of his passes

4) More Auburn WR on the field

5) Bo completing passes to at least 7 different targets (i.e. use the WR depth)

6) Establish an offensive identity that plays more to our strengths (i.e. Run the damn ball. We can take a couple of shots, but don't put Bo in a situation where we need him to complete passes 20+ yards down field)