Tuberville Offense

AUght2win

Should this be our identity offensively? Lean on excellent backs in simple downhill concepts, use the tight ends primarily to pass, and only ask receivers to move the chains. 

Though TT's teams weren't known for offense, when he had a hoss at runningback, the offense was potent. Tank is certainly as good as any back we have had since Cadillac. Adding Hunter and Shivers, we have the depth to pound the rock. 

We could still be more creative and use Bo's legs when we need to, but with Bo still not turning the corner and our receiver room being not so great, maybe this is the identity that gives us the best chance. 

I don't think the pop screens, deep balls, or 5-wide looks will do anything at all for us. Ditch it and embrace hard nosed simplicity.

• Like 1

I dunno about the Tuberville offense in this era, but I'd take most of the Tuberville defenses...with the exception of some games against Arkansas, LSU and the finale against Bama (and a few others.)

50 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Should this be our identity offensively? Lean on excellent backs in simple downhill concepts, use the tight ends primarily to pass, and only ask receivers to move the chains. 

Though TT's teams weren't known for offense, when he had a hoss at runningback, the offense was potent. Tank is certainly as good as any back we have had since Cadillac. Adding Hunter and Shivers, we have the depth to pound the rock. 

We could still be more creative and use Bo's legs when we need to, but with Bo still not turning the corner and our receiver room being not so great, maybe this is the identity that gives us the best chance. 

I don't think the pop screens, deep balls, or 5-wide looks will do anything at all for us. Ditch it and embrace hard nosed simplicity.

well if we tried it we could always go back to what did not work. i am not sure if they even have the whole systems in on both sides of the ball. i expect us to get better. i know harsin likes it balanced but a little run heavy when working sounds good to me. plus when you run more others get more carries.

I just watched the Penn State game again. That offense was pure Gus (later years) without the misdirection, and with more TE. Passing game was not quite as slow-to-develop but was still uncreative with far too many low percentage throws. It was vanilla and mediocre without even talking about the turnover and final play abortion. With the exception of two series where we ran it consistently.  I think it’s clear we need to rely on our running game more. But it’s not going to matter with our deer-in-the -headlights pass defense. They were lost. Took damn good athletes and made them look bad.  Zero passes broken up.  With the teams we face coming up, we have a lot of work to do.  My biggest concern is that they stopped running it down their throats when it was working, and switched back to low percentage passing, one after the other.  And Harsin or Mason said they just need to change “a few little things” on pass D, when it is clearly more than that. We have all seen our offenses, and defenses, make dramatic improvement overnight, unexpectedly. But that’s what we need.  Tweaking ain’t gonna do it.  Run, run, run the football and scratch the hybrid zone D catastrophe. Ole Miss in particular will lay some unreal numbers on us, otherwise.

• Like 3

Yea, well I'm not so sure about that... Run, run, run the football isn't actually going to work with this offensive line. We don't have the studs in the O-line to do that, we have to have balance. Yea, it worked for a couple of series, but it's not an overall recipe for success.

Same goes with the thought that changing a "few little things" isn't going to fix the D. Well, it may not, but a complete D over haul isn't going to work either. You just can't do that. 

The Offensive and Defensive schemes our coaches are running are not out of the real of effective. So yea, fixing a few things can have a huge impact. It remains to be seen if we can fix those things correctly. Or if we can't teach them correctly or they can't grasp or don't have the talent to be effective. 

G

• Like 1

That’s what they are trying to do. Go back to a more pro style offense. The reason we hired Gus was because of his offense was different and fresh. We weren’t going to beat other teams (consistently) running the pro style especially when our rivals were landing better talent. That’s why Tubs took a chance on Tony Franklin and a different offensive system. 

11 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

That’s what they are trying to do. Go back to a more pro style offense. The reason we hired Gus was because of his offense was different and fresh. We weren’t going to beat other teams (consistently) running the pro style especially when our rivals were landing better talent. That’s why Tubs took a chance on Tony Franklin and a different offensive system. 

Except the best offenses in the NFL are spread based systems.  The concept of "pro style" is dead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gabo4au said:

Yea, well I'm not so sure about that... Run, run, run the football isn't actually going to work with this offensive line. 

It worked all night Saturday against one of the best defenses in the country.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Except the best offenses in the NFL are spread based systems.  The concept of "pro style" is dead.

It’s hard to escape a lot of what Gus was doing because that’s what the majority of high school, college, and some pro teams are running.  The difference between Gus and a Dan Mullen and hopefully Harsin is you can build on the basics and be successful.  I don’t follow Florida recruiting but are teams recruiting against their oline and Wrs due to lack of NFL skills?  They  looked pretty good against Bama this weekend with a very average QB.  

2 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I just watched the Penn State game again. That offense was pure Gus (later years) without the misdirection, and with more TE. Passing game was not quite as slow-to-develop but was still uncreative with far too many low percentage throws. It was vanilla and mediocre without even talking about the turnover and final play abortion. With the exception of two series where we ran it consistently.  I think it’s clear we need to rely on our running game more. But it’s not going to matter with our deer-in-the -headlights pass defense. They were lost. Took damn good athletes and made them look bad.  Zero passes broken up.  With the teams we face coming up, we have a lot of work to do.  My biggest concern is that they stopped running it down their throats when it was working, and switched back to low percentage passing, one after the other.  And Harsin or Mason said they just need to change “a few little things” on pass D, when it is clearly more than that. We have all seen our offenses, and defenses, make dramatic improvement overnight, unexpectedly. But that’s what we need.  Tweaking ain’t gonna do it.  Run, run, run the football and scratch the hybrid zone D catastrophe. Ole Miss in particular will lay some unreal numbers on us, otherwise.

If you c an throw the ball with any kind of consistency you can put some unreal numbers on Auburn. :dunno:

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He’s had numerous offenses— which one most offends you?

The Franklin offense ...

Need to let Bobo run UGA offense when they had Cox and Freshman Murray. King and Ealey doing most of the yards. Then when Bo or TJ gets comfortable, open it up like the Stafford and Senior Murray era.

Edited by clwn
  • Like 1

A lot of y'all probably know a lot more of the X's and O's than me, but I just don't think you can successful without balance in the SEC. Coordinators adjust to what they see. Teams are going to watch the film and probably load the box, bring safeties in, and dare us to beat them over the top. Look at Leonard Fournette against Bama in the Les Miles days. Great running back, but could never do anything against Bama because they couldn't stretch the field against them

• Like 1

The two years Auburn had Nick they scored  a lot and ran all over people. Unfortunately, the defense was lacking. Especially his second year. U pretty much had to out score Auburn to beat them. 

If I’m down at the 2 with a 4th and goal I’m putting in two TE’s, big Pegues as a FB and I’m getting the ball to Tank or Hunter.  They keep saying we are going to be a downhill running team.  4th and 2 with the game on the line ain’t no time to be cute for a downhill running team.   Our best skill players on offense are Tank, Hunter, Shenker and Robertson, not Nix and Hudson.  When the game is on the line you find a way to get the ball to the best you got and at some point you have to win the LOS to win the game.  I know PSU has a strong DL but they certainly are not UGA or Bammer.  We were running the ball effectively on them all night.  

• Like 3

I'm liking the Kendall Briles (with Art's tutelage) Arkansas running right now.  They have stud RBs & they utilize the TE's with great results. 

I think we'll see just what the Hogs have going this weekend vs aTm, I know I'm pulling for them. 

I know i saw at least one play against Penn St where we had both Tank and Hunter at the RB position. That is one thing from the tubs era that i would be interested in seeing more of!

Thread has pretty much said what I’m thinking. Need to lean on the run. I think Bo will perform better in this offense but he’s not ready to completely take over. 

I’m more worried about pass rush than offense at the moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I'm liking the Kendall Briles (with Art's tutelage) Arkansas running right now.  They have stud RBs & they utilize the TE's with great results. 

I think we'll see just what the Hogs have going this weekend vs aTm, I know I'm pulling for them. 

Ole Miss and Arkansas are both running the Briles system on offense. Kendall is the OC at Arkansas and his brother in law, Jeff Lebby,  is the OC at Ole Miss. Lebby was the passing game coordinator at Baylor.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Ole Miss and Arkansas are both running the Briles system on offense. Kendall is the OC at Arkansas and his brother in law, Jeff Lebby,  is the OC at Ole Miss. Lebby was the passing game coordinator at Baylor.

They’ll get HC gigs here soon imo

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, woodford said:

They’ll get HC gigs here soon imo

No doubt.  Now that the NCAA has cleared Art Briles, I will be shocked if he doesn't get a job by this time next year. At the very, least an OC job.

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

No doubt.  Now that the NCAA has cleared Art Briles, I will be shocked if he doesn't get a job by this time next year. At the very, least an OC job.

Yeah Art was screwed by ESPN and the national media. Such a disgrace. And not a single person has publicly apologized from what I’ve seen  

I hope he does. He’s a great football mind. Someone will take a chance on him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weagl1 said:

If I’m down at the 2 with a 4th and goal I’m putting in two TE’s, big Pegues as a FB and I’m getting the ball to Tank or Hunter.  They keep saying we are going to be a downhill running team.  4th and 2 with the game on the line ain’t no time to be cute for a downhill running team.   Our best skill players on offense are Tank, Hunter, Shenker and Robertson, not Nix and Hudson.  When the game is on the line you find a way to get the ball to the best you got and at some point you have to win the LOS to win the game.  I know PSU has a strong DL but they certainly are not UGA or Bammer.  We were running the ball effectively on them all night.  

I know everyone is disappointed with play call, but a pivotal part of the game was at the end of the third quarter.   3rd and 1 and a running play was called that resulted in a one or two yard loss.  Running on them was not a guarantee of getting two yards.  

honestly , my biggest disappointment of the entire game was calling the timeout before the play and in the first half calling timeout on defense when it wasn’t needed.   I thought time management could have been better