Nix talks about the play call

aubiefifty

Bo Nix talks about the play call on fourth and goal against Penn State

Zac Blackerby
Tue, September 21, 2021, 2:31 PM

Auburn fans can’t stop talking about the play call from the Penn State two-yard line Saturday night.

The play resulted in being an incomplete pass from Bo Nix to Kobe Hudson on a fade route.

Head coach Bryan Harsin was asked about the call immediately after the game and said the play had multiple options once the ball was snapped. His quarterback had a similar response.

Nix was asked about the play on The JBoy Show earlier in the week.

The play resulted in being an incomplete pass from Bo Nix to Kobe Hudson on a fade route.

Head coach Bryan Harsin was asked about the call immediately after the game and said the play had multiple options once the ball was snapped. His quarterback had a similar response.

Nix was asked about the play on The JBoy Show earlier in the week.

“When you look at that kind of situation, obviously there’s a million different directions you can go,” Nix said. “Every coach and every coordinator has their perspective but I thought our coach did a good job, Coach (Mike) Bobo. He could have put the ball in many different options and he put the ball in my hands to make that decision and obviously, you can say ‘you should have ran the ball’ or whatever but when you throw the ball like that, you have five different options.

Tank got out and was an option of those receivers and we just tried to see what they would play and both sides of the field had some options to throw to. We just got a low goalline man-to-man. I decided just to work the fade and see what could happen. Unfortunately, when I let the ball go, he was tangled up and we practiced all the time throwing to that spot, especially inside the red zone. THrowing so those guys can go get it but he got tangled up and may have gotten pass interference and it was a no-call but that’s just part of football.”

-

It was designed to be a pick play. Bo saw the match-up that he wanted pre-snap and apparently locked in on Kobe.  The wide receivers messed up the natural pick and Bo didn't adjust when the pick didn't work. 

What is he supposed to say "We were trying to run a pick play"?

To their credit both Bo and Kobe have admitted that they messed up. 

Go back and watch it. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Yabo said:

It was designed to be a pick play. Bo saw the match-up that he wanted pre-snap and apparently locked in on Kobe.  The wide receivers messed up the natural pick and Bo didn't adjust when the pick didn't work. 

What is he supposed to say "We were trying to run a pick play"?

To their credit both Bo and Kobe have admitted that they messed up. 

Go back and watch it. 

Yeah, not a fan of the call but this nails it.

if it was a pick play the receivers were lost. I'm still not buying it. played for the PI.  looking at the player alignment, there's no easy way for either to set a pick for the other.

Edited by EastAl_Tiger

7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m sure had they run up the middle and not made it everyone would be raising cane that they didn’t try something like this pass. 🤔

i think the opposite,  anyone who watched the game knew that we were more successful running the ball.  I think it would be easier to accept

15 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

i think the opposite,  anyone who watched the game knew that we were more successful running the ball.  I think it would be easier to accept

Just in case you missed it we run the ball on the two downs before that without scoring. I do agree we need a big package ( like PSU used on a 4th down) for those type situations. Their is no reason for an offense not to power in from the 2 yd line . 

21 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Just in case you missed it we run the ball on the two downs before that without scoring. I do agree we need a big package ( like PSU used on a 4th down) for those type situations. Their is no reason for an offense not to power in from the 2 yd line . 

according to the drive summary we ran the ball 1 time,    

1st down  incomplete pass 

2nd, Tank +1 yard  and pushed out of bounds

3rd, pass complete to Shenker

4th...   incomplete. 

thats alot of pass attempts for a team that was more successful running the ball all night. 

Edited by auskip07
  • Like 2

I will be glad when this game comes Saturday so people can get passed this. We aren't playing madden here. Initially, I was very upset with the call, but if the coach and the QB are working on autonomy and going off their reads, then it is a learning lesson for all. They all will get better including the WRs in the future.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I will be glad when this game comes Saturday so people can get passed this. We aren't playing madden here. Initially, I was very upset with the call, but if the coach and the QB are working on autonomy and going off their reads, then it is a learning lesson for all. They all will get better including the WRs in the future.

Passed Vs Past?    nice Freudian slip

• Haha 1