Tank Angle Route

AUght2win

6 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

In a non-conference game against a stout opponent in the road? Yes. Find out how he reacts now. Find out if he has grown.

Not sure if you're serious, but if so, completely disagree. This isn't like a mid-week baseball game where Butch can experiment with the lineup and throw our below average pitchers all he wants because those games don't have too much of an effect on getting in the postseason. Every single game matters in football

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

In a non-conference game against a stout opponent in the road? Yes. Find out how he reacts now. Find out if he has grown.

....or try to wing the game.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Set up damn near perfectly outside the ball being on the far hash.

Yeah, in our sitch it's a harder throw going left for a right handed QB.

An Inside Zone RPO would have popped too. 

41 minutes ago, au302 said:

Not sure if you're serious, but if so, completely disagree. This isn't like a mid-week baseball game where Butch can experiment with the lineup and throw our below average pitchers all he wants because those games don't have too much of an effect on getting in the postseason. Every single game matters in football

Perhaps I overstated the game/scenario, but I am serious. Based on CBH comments, they clearly had practiced this play. At some point, you gotta allow Bo to make that play/call. Somewhere down the line, we will face a defense that will shut down our running game and Bo will be forced to make that play. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Agree to disagree.  This is a hyped up game in primetime and Auburn needed to make a statement on the national scene in front of the whole country.

The game is on the line.  You can give your QB the play and let him try to execute it OR lay the game on his shoulders, make him read the defense and then task him with choosing from multiple play options all in a few seconds while the opponent's crowd is jacked up to deafening levels as they cheer on their defense.

You put your players in the best position to be successful and you coach to win.  I don't how that particular moment was a time to test your 3rd yr starter QB to see if he has grown. :gofig:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Agree to disagree.  This is a hyped up game in primetime and Auburn needed to make a statement on the national scene in front of the whole country.

The game is on the line.  You can give your QB the play and let him try to execute it OR lay the game on his shoulders, make him read the defense and then task him with choosing from multiple play options all in a few seconds while the opponent's crowd is jacked up to deafening levels as they cheer on their defense.

You put your players in the best position to be successful and you coach to win.  I don't how that particular moment was a time to test your 3rd yr starter QB to see if he has grown. :gofig:

I fully agree with setting your players up to succeed. I guess I just lean towards them having practiced this specific scenario. 

It’s all good man. I’m just spitballing like everyone else.

The OC never had the intention of running a real play. Unfortunate. So many teams are successful with the dump down to the RB. Tank had a lot higher probability to score than we did getting the penalty.  A pump fake to the corner and back to Tank. Done.

• Like 1

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I fully agree with setting your players up to succeed. I guess I just lean towards them having practiced this specific scenario. 

It’s all good man. I’m just spitballing like everyone else.

We're all spitballing today and scratching our heads bald.   It's what we do when we see the things we saw Saturday night and can't fathom who or why some of the decisions were made during that game.  Poor in-game adjustments, poor clock management, poor play calling at critical junctures, and poor coaching on both sides of the ball at times.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keesler said:

We're all spitballing today and scratching our heads bald.   It's what we do when we see the things we saw Saturday night and can't fathom who or why some of the decisions were made during that game.  Poor in-game adjustments, poor clock management, poor play calling at critical junctures, and poor coaching on both sides of the ball at times.  

I hear ya man. In the end, I just look at it like we were in a one possession game with a chance to win on the road against a top 10 team.

Does it suck to be that close and lose?

Absolutely. 

Are there things that are correctable?

Absolutely.

Hell, I’m just ecstatic that we have scored points in the 3rd quarter.👀

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Perhaps I overstated the game/scenario, but I am serious. Based on CBH comments, they clearly had practiced this play. At some point, you gotta allow Bo to make that play/call. Somewhere down the line, we will face a defense that will shut down our running game and Bo will be forced to make that play. 

That’s all fine and dandy but looking and the defensive alignment Tamk was the only choice. Unless he can call an audible. I don’t recall a coach ever saying a Qb had 5 options when u on the 2 yard line . Maybe from the 10yard line ok

I hate the call regardless, but it would be a little better if we still had Seth or some other proven, taller receiver. Just think about the personnel involved here. A QB who is not very accurate, a young WR who has never had to win a 50/50 ball in college, and going up against their best DB. 

• Like 1

Should have been a run play... The best player on the team should have had the ball in his hand that close to the end zone. In that situation when you call time out and tell your offensive line they better drive the defensive line all the way to the stands.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn't like the play, but they were in the correct defense. It would have been better is the wide side would have been to the right. I would have preferred a back shoulder throw to the goal line.

Tank has every right to be pissed. If Bo throws a better ball and it gets picked off he would get slammed to hell and back for being "Road Bo."

If Auburn doesn't want the game to come down to a 4th and goal from the 2, then they should execute sooner. I'm frustrated too because it was a winnable game, but blame goes all around not just Mike BoBo or Harsin. Our defense made Sean Clifford look like Peyton Manning. Come on. 

It's time to move on. Auburn has a massive game in Baton Rouge in two weeks.

There is no separation on 3 of the 4 receivers, all of them on the center to the right. It looks like everything that had a chance of being open was on the center to the left. The only WR who got any separation at all was Robertson on the far left. Because of that, he has a chance if it's a quick pass to the inside before the DB can react. 

The other open option and the best option on that play imo, was Tank breaking into the clear on the delay. People have said Tank came open late but that is part of the play and the QB knows he is there. I think Tank scores there. The final option would be a QB scramble. Having said all that, I wouldn't have called that play. My choice would be Tank on a running play. 

go back and look at Shenker. he's got 2 men in front. the guy to his left doesn't move. is he waiting on Tank in the flats? if so, the other guy is shading 47 to the middle. all he has to do is take one step to middle and head to the "N's".  I understand the route he's running and it works but got to have the QB in synch.  moot point however, it was going to be try for the PI and heave it out of bounds.

Like everyone else is saying, the call is inexcusable. Honestly, did PSU hold a sweep to less than 3 yards all night? I would have tossed it to Tank and challenged the defense to stop him in the open field. 

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I think Tank scores on the angle route out of the backfield.

I don't. Both LBs purposely covered the middle for Tank and the Nix draw. I saw it live.

Tank's only scoring pass route would have been the left flat, with the two left-side receivers cutting towards the middle to clear the left flat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Viper said:

I don't. Both LBs purposely covered the middle for Tank and the Nix draw. I saw it live.

Tank's only scoring pass route would have been the left flat, with the two left-side receivers cutting towards the middle to clear the left flat.

If you look at the 2nd pic in the OP, the LBs in the EZ are looking to their left as Bo makes his motion to pass. A pump fake right there would have caused a similar reaction, leaving them little time to react to Tank wide open on a delay route at the 4yard line. I like those odds. The timing has to be there but I think he scores on a quick pass. But we probably both agree, a run by Tank would have been the better call.  

This settles it then. Let’s stop hyping folks up. The coaching staff probably realizes it too. This season from the offensive end is shouldered on tank and tank only. I don’t think CBH thinks this way but the comments are telling. 

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

If you look at the 2nd pic in the OP, the LBs in the EZ are looking to their left as Bo makes his motion to pass. A pump fake right there would have caused a similar reaction, leaving them little time to react to Tank wide open on a delay route at the 4yard line. I like those odds. The timing has to be there but I think he scores on a quick pass. But we probably both agree, a run by Tank would have been the better call.  

With the doubts about Bo, why would you think the timing would be there? With the confidence in Tank, I would have spread them out and give to tank.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This settles it then. Let’s stop hyping folks up. The coaching staff probably realizes it too. This season from the offensive end is shouldered on tank and tank only. I don’t think CBH thinks this way but the comments are telling. 

I would be 100% fine using our 3 RBs and running the ball 40-50 times per game.  Pound the rock.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, woodford said:

Tank has every right to be pissed. If Bo throws a better ball and it gets picked off he would get slammed to hell and back for being "Road Bo."

If Auburn doesn't want the game to come down to a 4th and goal from the 2, then they should execute sooner. I'm frustrated too because it was a winnable game, but blame goes all around not just Mike BoBo or Harsin. Our defense made Sean Clifford look like Peyton Manning. Come on. 

It's time to move on. Auburn has a massive game in Baton Rouge in two weeks.

i call it the curse of gus. gus told us we already had a great coach but did we listen? of course not.  so here we are.