Harsin and Bobo need to read this article....

steeleagle

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Are we even running much of any RPO?  Some are more obvious than others, but it doesn't seem like we are.

Harsin missed or couldn't hire Lebby, which probably was his 1st choice for OC.  Would have been a more creative play caller and we see what he's doing at Ole Miss

I respect Lebby. He is probably a great OC but for sure watching that system all calls go through the HC much as it was at Auburn in Malzahn’s early years. Lebby’s system not a good match with what Harsin was looking for.

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Should have been a 2 TE set and run the RPO with one TE go out to the flats with the opposite WR in a drag route

I agree 100%. I am sure there are statistics to support such things. Still shaking my head that such a low percentage play was even considered. Especially after they had worked so hard to get so close. Just hoping that the players have a chance to convince Harsin to trust the OL and skill players next time. Hope the coaches don’t start a new “I have to overthink this play” like our former regime. 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Agree.

Also, I remember hearing so much about being under center in the RZ.  Being tough, etc.  Don't think we did it that much and definitely didn't on that last play.  

I go back to to Penn State's last TD play.  That was a amazing play call.  None of our players were looking in the backfield and chased WRs/TEs out of the picture and opened up a massive hole.  4 people covering 3, no one on the RB.  Not sure if this was a blown assignment by one of the 2 guys covering the inside guy.

Fade is just a lazy call.

tdplay.JPG

Correct me if I am wrong thought the linebacker fell down when he tried to react. Idk who was playing LB because Owen and McClain were out. Not sure if he would have made the stop but would have had a shot

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Correct me if I am wrong thought the linebacker fell down when he tried to react. Idk who was playing LB because Owen and McClain were out. Not sure if he would have made the stop but would have had a shot

37 and 32 were the two linebackers in the play.  Smoke followed the TE out wide and ran out of the play.  Doesn't look like anyone fell down

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

37 and 32 were the two linebackers in the play.  Smoke followed the TE out wide and ran out of the play.  Doesn't look like anyone fell down

Ok u right ran right through 32s arms

15 minutes ago, e808 said:

Ok u right ran right through 32s arms

Yeah, went back and watched.  Steiner kinda hit him, but not sure how much he really tried to wrap him up as it was already a TD.  I didn't realize Owen was also out of the game at this time and we were down both our starting LBs

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Agree.

Also, I remember hearing so much about being under center in the RZ.  Being tough, etc.  Don't think we did it that much and definitely didn't on that last play.  

I go back to to Penn State's last TD play.  That was a amazing play call.  None of our players were looking in the backfield and chased WRs/TEs out of the picture and opened up a massive hole.  4 people covering 3, no one on the RB.  Not sure if this was a blown assignment by one of the 2 guys covering the inside guy.

Fade is just a lazy call.

tdplay.JPG

On that play, the LB got sucked in covering a guy that was already covered. By the time he realizes it, too late. It was either 37 or 32. I can’t recall.

I didn’t know Gus was still calling plays for Auburn.

22 hours ago, e808 said:

For me play one spread them out and let Bo use his legs. 2,3, and 4 Tank or Hunter with either heavy packages or student bodies.

This was kind of my thinking. That was the time for Bo to become an option for running. RPO rollout with Bo and Tank. Bo can either run it in, or lateral to Tank or pass with a drag to TE or WR. Those are options for a QB that can be made quickly according to the defense. 

Several have done a great job breaking down the play. Still looks like a predetermined play IMO. I do believe Harsin in that there where options for BO but seems like he was locked on one. But even before that play i felt like we should've went for it on 4th down and not settle for a FG. 

On 9/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

How many play action passes did AU try last Saturday? 

Good question.  I don't recall so there couldn't have been that many.  Definitely need to see more running and play action asap.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This was kind of my thinking. That was the time for Bo to become an option for running. RPO rollout with Bo and Tank. Bo can either run it in, or lateral to Tank or pass with a drag to TE or WR. Those are options for a QB that can be made quickly according to the defense. 

Several have done a great job breaking down the play. Still looks like a predetermined play IMO. I do believe Harsin in that there where options for BO but seems like he was locked on one. But even before that play i felt like we should've went for it on 4th down and not settle for a FG. 

I was ok with the Fg. It kept the game within one possession no matter what. I wasn’t ok with running a play before the quarter ended when u don’t have to. Let the clock run out and reset for a critical play 

When they got to LOS I figured, hoped, it was a read option.  Fades should do just that fade away.  Very low percentage, especially, in this down and distance and to the boundary 

16 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I didn’t know Gus was still calling plays for Auburn.

With the poor clock management, poor play calling at critical times and shoddy time-out management it was nauseatingly reminiscent at times. 🤢

25 minutes ago, e808 said:

I was ok with the Fg. It kept the game within one possession no matter what. I wasn’t ok with running a play before the quarter ended when u don’t have to. Let the clock run out and reset for a critical play 

I would've been fine with the FG if our defense had been better in the 2nd half. Even though it was still early in the 4thQ, it felt clear to me that we were not going to have an opportunity for that many possessions. And with the possessions we did get we needed time because of our running game. The 3rd Q TD drive took 7+ minutes. Not sure of the stats but our starting field percentage didn't appear to be good all game. 

We were getting at least 3 yards just running it up the middle. Trust in it until they show they can stop it. 

Archived