Explain the Receiver Rotation

AUght2win

Just now, steeleagle said:

Sour? no. But disappointed.

I thought a coach who played QB and an OC that played QB would know that a fade route to the corner from the 2 with a WR that is not built or shows he is a go to clutch WR, should not have been the first option. Certainly they know that is a low percentage pass option. 

What did they see that even after a TO, they thought that was their best chance. Was it executed wrong which resulted in their DB standing their waiting for Hudson and simply locked him up easily.

It was a scripted play per Harsin. If so, why burn the TO. After the timeout, you still do it. Looked like a moment too big for Harsin. Discouraging and a little scary moving forward. Coming out of the half with a trick play? Damn. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You can be wrong. That is your right. Should have kept Gus. Save a lot of money. Both look like the same coach on offense. 

I'm surprised to hear you say that. Sure, the 4th down call was abysmal. Other than that, the offense looked very different to me than Gus' big game offenses, where there was absolutely no chance of moving the ball. That run-heavy TD drive to answer after the turnover was big time football. 

What did Harsin inherit on offense? Tank. Shenker. And that's about it. A weak O-line that looks improved and is probably now average. An average QB that looks a little better. Very little at WR. He brought in Hunter, who is already the second best playmaker on O. Let's give it some time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More first downs than them. Controlled the TOP. A very balanced offense, but yeah exactly like Gus lol. Get a grip. There was some boneheaded calls, boneheaded plays and poor execution, but this team is far from out of it. They have a ton to grow from including coaching staff.

• Like 7

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It was a scripted play per Harsin. If so, why burn the TO. After the timeout, you still do it. Looked like a moment too big for Harsin. Discouraging and a little scary moving forward. Coming out of the half with a trick play? Damn. 

If Kobe doesn't drop the ball, we all love that play. We probably win the game and are praising Harsin as a courageous genius. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cbo said:

If Kobe doesn't drop the ball, we all love that play. We probably win the game and are praising Harsin as a courageous genius. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but it’s okay to imply it reeked of a little desperation. Esp when earlier reverses and edge type plays were blown up. 
At the very least, it’s another play that went away from what was working, and putting the hands in a young, fairly unproven guy who had a rough showing up until that point, and asking him to handle 100% of the risk 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but it’s okay to imply it reeked of a little desperation. Esp when earlier reverses and edge type plays were blown up. 
At the very least, it’s another play that went away from what was working, and putting the hands in a young, fairly unproven guy who had a rough showing up until that point, and asking him to handle 100% of the risk 

Those are definitely fair points. I don't hate the call as much as some on here, but it was probably too risky at that stage of the game. I was hoping they would hand it to Tank to start the half. 

• Like 1

If they ran the reverse pass 100 times, what occurred would not happen in 99 of them.   It was a completely bad luck situation.   The guy is switching the football and loses possession or it was off to the races.   Just poor handling of the football, period.   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

no, no and that is not how it works

You may be right in that it isn't how Harsin's playing time system works, but if so, it's a system out of whack.

I don't care how well you know a playbook, what damn good is it if you can't catch the ball and trip over your own two feet. There has to be a balance between intangible demands (learning playbook, practice rep quality) and tangible talent. Receiver play, Robertson included, was one of the primary reasons we didn't get the W Saturday night (though it clearly isn't #1 or #2 on the list). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

And the following drive made it all the more painful - we imposed our will and drove methodically down the field. It proved we didn't need to outsmart Penn State so much as just execute. We were better.

Bobo will have to stop overthinking. Something like the 4th down goalline call can't happen again. I would have pointed to where I was running the ball with Tank before I called a multi-option 4-wide pass play. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Sour? A little. That was just awful game planning and adjusting by Harsin and staff. Given they used almost 3 weeks of prep for this game. They looked lost Saturday and the moment too big for them. 

Wow.  One game is all it takes.  You are not even looking at the bigger issue and that is Mason teaching our players how to play zone defense and getting zero pass rush.  We are at last in the country in defending the pass.  

4 hours ago, cbo said:

I'm surprised to hear you say that. Sure, the 4th down call was abysmal. Other than that, the offense looked very different to me than Gus' big game offenses, where there was absolutely no chance of moving the ball. That run-heavy TD drive to answer after the turnover was big time football. 

What did Harsin inherit on offense? Tank. Shenker. And that's about it. A weak O-line that looks improved and is probably now average. An average QB that looks a little better. Very little at WR. He brought in Hunter, who is already the second best playmaker on O. Let's give it some time. 

This is how I feel. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You may be right in that it isn't how Harsin's playing time system works, but if so, it's a system out of whack.

I don't care how well you know a playbook, what damn good is it if you can't catch the ball and trip over your own two feet. There has to be a balance between intangible demands (learning playbook, practice rep quality) and tangible talent. Receiver play, Robertson included, was one of the primary reasons we didn't get the W Saturday night (though it clearly isn't #1 or #2 on the list). 

I mean, about as good as running the wrong route or not blocking your man.  At least if you run the right route there is a chance to catch the ball.  Now I am mot saying this is what is happening but what if guys are not putting in quality reps when opportunity arrives in practice, failing in the film room, not maximizing workouts, maybe missing class, not showing up on time and ready to perform.  You can’t reward that with starter snaps when others are doing what is needed.  That is how Chizik lost the program in a hurry.   Maybe it would be nice if a reporter would just simply ask Harsin why?  We might get a round about answer but we at least would have a better idea.

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

Wow.  One game is all it takes.  You are not even looking at the bigger issue and that is Mason teaching our players how to play zone defense and getting zero pass rush. 

:banghead:  That is inexcusable. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Mid-major coaching on Saturday night. In the big moments. 

After going down 21-10 we led a methodical drive down Penn State's throat when the crowd was at a fever pitch. 95% of teams would have folded after Kobe fumbled. The fact that we kept battling and returned every punch bodes extremely well for Harsin.

Idk why you're summing up Harsin's night on a couple of abysmal calls. The team responded to adversity and came ready to play. That's a huge step forward.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Sour? A little. That was just awful game planning and adjusting by Harsin and staff. Given they used almost 3 weeks of prep for this game. They looked lost Saturday and the moment too big for them. 

To me, it seems more of like they didn't know what their personnel was truly capable of in a big game. They probably didn't think our line would be able to open up the run game like they did. I actually thought Bobo did pretty well in the second half once he realized the ground game was working. Mason is a whole other conversation. Now they have a baseline picture of what this offense is capable of against good teams. Let's wait to see if we don't see any adjustments for LSU

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:32 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Looked like a mid-major coach out of his league Saturday night. WR rotation and all. Pathetic. 

Finally a voice of reason. Not speaking with feelings, hopes and beliefs but with common sense facts based on two eyes and a brain.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

On 9/20/2021 at 11:22 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I can’t understand how anyone in their right mind could disagree with this. Maybe “right mind” is the key.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I can’t understand how anyone in their right mind could disagree with this. Maybe “right mind” is the key.

Explain exactly how the moment was too big. I'd love to hear this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Explain exactly how the moment was too big. I'd love to hear this.

You mean, you really can’t figure it out without an explanation? OK, I’ll play your silly game…

Fourth and goal at the two, and not playing Idaho State or University of Idaho. He was on the big stage in front of ESPN game day, and it was obviously too big for him.

Listen to his post game press conference after he looked up from his “written notes” and answered: “Bo had 4 options on the play, oh well, I mean, 4 or 5 options on that play”   Really coach? So it wasn’t your play call, it was the quarterback with four or five options picking the wrong option. Yeah that’s it. What exactly were these four or five options. Break it down for us coach. Were there even five receivers eligible on that particular play call? All this after he burned a time out he could’ve used later.

Don’t forget, after a full half time discussion, he decides to start the second half with a flea flicker that one awry.

When asked about our D-line not putting pressure on Penn State, our coach again, not finding an answer in his notes, looked up and said: he only knew of one play where PSU’s quarterback had a lot of time to throw. Really coach, one play? You only saw one play where they had a lot of time to throw? Somehow or another some of us were simply not watching the same game as others.

Somewhere between $30-$40 million for this guy!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

15 hours ago, AU-24 said:

good lord, you are a f'ing idiot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1