Explain the Receiver Rotation

AUght2win

Are Capers and Cannion in the doghouse? How is Shedrick playing over these 2? 

All off-season many of us had our concerns about this receiving corp. But in those discussions, we were all talking about the expectations for Hudson, Malcom, Cannion, Evans and Capers. I never dreamed they'd all be buried behind Shedrick. I don't want to dump on any Auburn player, but Shed just isn't SEC caliber in speed nor hands. What's going on?

Is there an attitude problem with our more athletic receivers? It's all I can think of to explain who is and isn't playing right now. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, au302 said:

There's no good reason imo. The other guys must be complete idiots when it comes to the playbook or totally awful in practice

I just don't know how inefficient the starters gave to be before someone else gets a shot. Capers has always looked smooth. And Cannion's play in the bowl game gave me hope. But they've both vanished.

I did notice Capers got in on like literally the last or next to last play because Shedrick was gassed from a previous Go route. So it clearly isn't a full suspension from play. 

Kobe is going to be the best of this group and I'm not sure it'll be close. I think he can be a #1 for us down the road.

I'm not sure what other talent we gave at WR.

Seemed odd that JJ was pretty much absent as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

based on Caylin Newton being one of the first up when we had multiple banged up or hurt last game, I'm not sure if the coaches do either 

to the OP: I don't follow offseason minutia, but Canion seems too naturally fluid to not be one of the 5 best guys in that stable. One issue to me is that other than Hudson, the rest of these guys seem very stiff. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, au302 said:

There's no good reason imo. The other guys must be complete idiots when it comes to the playbook or totally awful in practice

Don't know how they could possibly look bad in practice going against our completely inept secondary. I'm at a loss why they aren't playing.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Don't know how they could possibly look bad in practice going against our completely inept secondary. I'm at a loss why they aren't playing.

I’m betting Harsin has his reasons.

19 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kobe is going to be the best of this group and I'm not sure it'll be close. I think he can be a #1 for us down the road.

Seemed odd that JJ was pretty much absent as well

From what I've seen you're correct about Hudson.  He's got good size and appears to have really good hands.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

I can't believe people watched that game and thought our secondary was the issue. Worst pass rush I've ever seen Auburn field. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

based on Caylin Newton being one of the first up when we had multiple banged up or hurt last game, I'm not sure if the coaches do either 

to the OP: I don't follow offseason minutia, but Canion seems too naturally fluid to not be one of the 5 best guys in that stable. One issue to me is that other than Hudson, the rest of these guys seem very stiff. 

Capers got time on the field last season when Seth, Eli, and Schwartz were playing. He looked legit. 

The thing is, I don't know how you could play any worse that Shed did last night. And like I said, I'll always root for Shed and love all our boys. But being slow, stiff, and having bad hands is not a good combo at all. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I can't believe people watched that game and thought our secondary was the issue. Worst pass rush I've ever seen Auburn field. 

It wasn't just this game. They are giving up 78% completion percentage. 29/33 this week. Secondary has sucked for decades. Pass rush was definitely non existent, but you anybody that thinks the secondary has played well isn't being realistic.

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 3

5 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

It wasn't just this game. They are giving up 78% completion percentage. 29/33 this week. Secondary has sucked for decades. Pass rush was definitely non existent, but you anybody that thinks the secondary has played well isn't being realistic.

You could take Prime Deion, Prime Ed Reed, Prime Revis, and Prime Sean Taylor and they aren't covering 5 eligible receivers for more than 6 seconds. You don't understand how coverage works. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Capers got time on the field last season when Seth, Eli, and Schwartz were playing. He looked legit. 

The thing is, I don't know how you could play any worse that Shed did last night. And like I said, I'll always root for Shed and love all our boys. But being slow, stiff, and having bad hands is not a good combo at all. 

I think Shed did a good job of getting open, but failed in every other aspect. Bad hands, ball retention, just not a very good game 

I feel like he’d be a good WR3-4 though. Just clearly not a 1 

• Like 4

I said it last night jokingly, but it really seems we are intent on getting Shed his first college td. Really forcing playing time where it’s almost odd now. It’s almost laughable that we clearly aren’t putting the most talented group we can in the lineup. They can’t all be in the doghouse for goodness sake. On another note, someone actually said our secondary has sucked for decades? Decades??

• Like 2

how you practice, how you prepare and how you handle yourself earns playing time.

I really believe it is that simple.  The foundation of a new culture is being put into place.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

how you practice, how you prepare and how you handle yourself earns playing time.

I really believe it is that simple.  The foundation of a new culture is being put into place.

yep, also knowing the playbook, route adjustment and blocking play a factor I assume.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Jeff Holland was the last AU player who could consistently hit QBs. Four years ago. It's hard to fathom. 

On the other hand, I wouldn't really know if anyone on this roster could get home since we dropped 7-8 on every pass play. I think Mason deserves a bit more heat than he's getting for that game plan. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

From what I've seen you're correct about Hudson.  He's got good size and appears to have really good hands.  

Except when running the WR reverse pass play?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

What's going on with Tar'Varish? Where was he last night?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Then Harsin needs to boot these guys. They don't need to sit on the roster. If they're in good enough standing to make the trip, they need to be playing. 

Just because this is specifically designed around receivers, both sides would’ve gained a TON from Seth Williams returning. I don’t have any interest in discussing a personality clash between Seth and Harsin’s way of doing things, but the main thing they’re missing is literally the one thing Seth brought. Just a guy that’s gonna catch it if you stick it on him. A possession receiver. 
There was a period during his youth where there was overlap with some of his skills; RD, Hastings, Stove. But none really had his radius. I’d contend none did the next two years and none seem to now 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Yeah. He's just young and still a little inconsistent, which us exactly what Corn said this off-season.