What they’re saying nationally

aubiefifty

What they’re saying nationally, in Pennsylvania after Auburn lost to Penn State

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
3 minutes

Auburn-Penn State

Penn State tight end Brenton Strange (86) breaks away from the Auburn defense in the fourth quarter of their NCAA college football game in State College, Pa., on Saturday, Sept.18, 2021.Penn State defeated Auburn 28-20. (AP Photo/Barry Reeger)AP

Auburn went into Happy Valley looking for an early-season statement. The Tigers instead returned home with a stinging loss to Penn State, falling 28-20 in Beaver Stadium.

It was a drama-filled affair between the two teams, with Auburn’s late comeback bid coming up short in Penn State’s annual White Out game. As one of the marquee matchups of Week 3 of the college football season, Saturday night’s showdown garnered a lot of attention.

Here’s a look at what’s being said in Pennsylvania and nationally about Auburn’s loss to Penn State:

-- Auburn should be disappointed, but not discouraged after loss to Penn State (The Athletic)

-- Sean Clifford backs up his confidence against Auburn, and his play could take Penn State a long way (The Athletic)

-- Auburn gave Penn State everything it could handle (Yahoo Sports)

-- Penn State makes case as Big Ten’s top team with win against Auburn (Yahoo Sports)

-- Nittany Lions show mettle in win against Tigers (CBS Sports)

-- With two impressive wins against ranked teams, it’s time to consider Penn State a contender (CBS Sports)

-- Penn State-Auburn was Exhibit A in the case for banning neutral-site nonconference games (Associated Press)

-- Penn State holds on to white out Auburn (Associated Press)

-- Through three games, James Franklin is delivering on a promised redemption tour (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

-- Penn State’s 2020 failures still motivating 2021 team, including against Auburn (StateCollege.com)

-- As Penn State rolls under James Franklin, what if Penn State is already his USC? (StateCollege.com)

-- Against Auburn, Penn State’s Jahan Dotson again proves he’s one of country’s top receivers (Centre Daily Times)

-- Penn State’s offensive line shines against Auburn, which didn’t have a sack (Centre Daily Times)

-- A quarter of the way through the season, Penn State has the best pair of wins in the country: Auburn and Wisconsin (247Sports)

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

I really need to get a subscription to The Athletic. 

Those headlines seem on par with what to expect. I love the AP article and agree 💯. Home-and-homes are the way to go. Can't wait to make it down to Auburn when PSU visits next year! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Penn State’s offensive line shines against Auburn, which didn’t have a sack

This one stings.  I guess we had one pressure on their QB maybe two?  We got to fix that asap.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, USATiger said:

I'll be very surprised if PSU isn't the B10 champ this year.  They are solid everywhere

It will be time for us to cancel all P5 OOC games if Cal suddenly becomes a powerhouse.

4 hours ago, USATiger said:

I'll be very surprised if PSU isn't the B10 champ this year.  They are solid everywhere

They will be in contention  but they lack a solid run game. If we had ran the ball more we would have controlled the game. So the OSU  game is a good one to look for. Also the 2 michigan schools look to have strong running games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

It will be time for us to cancel all P5 OOC games if Cal suddenly becomes a powerhouse.

No.  I have a LOT planned for that away week, starting with a trip to Pebble Beach.

5 hours ago, USATiger said:

They will likely lose to Purdue or Northwestern, eliminating them from playoff contention because it’s what the BIG 10 does. Much like UCLA losing to Fresno State and setting the PAC 12 back. 😂

Edited by Gowebb11

29 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

They will likely lose to Purdue or Northwestern, eliminating them from playoff contention because it’s what the BIG 10 does. Much like UCLA losing to Fresno State and setting the PAC 12 back. 😂

In the big ten championship game? Because neither is on PSU’s schedule during the regular season.

I doubt they get through the schedule unscathed with Michigan and Michigan state both looking good. The OSU game in the shoe with lots of time for them to figure stuff out and Iowa being at Kinnick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fastlax16 said:

I doubt they get through the schedule unscathed with Michigan and Michigan state both looking good. The OSU game in the shoe with lots of time for them to figure stuff out and Iowa being at Kinnick. 

@Iowa, @MSU, @OSU, @Maryland even looks tough at 3-0 with a W over WVU.  

Michigan - still untested but look solid, at least we get them at home.  Rutgers doesn't even look like a pushover.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PSUPat said:

@Iowa, @MSU, @OSU, @Maryland even looks tough at 3-0 with a W over WVU.  

Michigan - still untested but look solid, at least we get them at home.  Rutgers doesn't even look like a pushover.  

Tennessee was beyond idiotic to run off Schiano like that.

Edited by AUwent

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

Tennessee was beyond idiotic to run off Schiano like that.

They pushed back bc they did not want to carry the PSU stigma. Had nothing to do with his football coaching prowess.

I didn't want to start a thread for this, so I thought this the best option to put it in.

I am always curious to see what the opponent says about us and our players after a game especially games that we lose. Here are a few take aways from TOS from PSU fans. 

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.11.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.14.45 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.08.44 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.07.10 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.05.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.05.02 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.04.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.04.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.03.14 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I didn't want to start a thread for this, so I thought this the best option to put it in.

I am always curious to see what the opponent says about us and our players after a game especially games that we lose. Here are a few take aways from TOS from PSU fans. 

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.14.45 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.08.44 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.07.10 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.05.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.05.02 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.04.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.04.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.03.14 AM.png

Appreciate you posting this.

I hope those people are right that say PSU is a playoff contender and we were just a couple of bad plays from winning that game.

What I saw was a team with a pretty good defense and one offensive weapon take advantage of a team that’s not very good on offense and really, really bad at pass D!   

I think we're a playoff "contender" in the sense that we're a solid but not spectacular team right now and the B1G has 6 or 8 teams at the same level as us.  The difference between 1st and 9th in this conference is razor thin this year.  

Teams aren't static.  Who improves the most from here?   Who gets the ball to bounce their way?   We're in that mix though.  

• Like 3

On 9/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, SRBautigerfan said:

This one stings.  I guess we had one pressure on their QB maybe two?  We got to fix that asap.

ESPN box score lists 1 sack but does not list the player

• Like 1

I would have been surprised if the PSU fans and AU fans did not get along.

In the 2 years I lived in central PA, I met a lot of wonderful people. PSU and AU are very similar in a lot of respects (from a fan base perspective).

Despite the issues the school and the athletics program had, the fan base has always prided itself in being very high character (like AU).

• Like 4

12 hours ago, PSUPat said:

I think we're a playoff "contender" in the sense that we're a solid but not spectacular team right now and the B1G has 6 or 8 teams at the same level as us.  The difference between 1st and 9th in this conference is razor thin this year.  

Teams aren't static.  Who improves the most from here?   Who gets the ball to bounce their way?   We're in that mix though.  

You have a solid ball club. You won outright. We had plenty of chances to win but didn’t do it. Tons of respect for PSU. I pray y’all whoop tOSU (always pull for y’all over them). I like your QB, I worry about your run game though. Maybe that can improve. Solid defensive unit. That will help smother teams like Rutgers, Maryland, etc 

I think PSU can make moves. If we fix things we can win 9 games and that will help your SOS. 

• Like 1