Disappointed but not mad

TitanTiger

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah.  To some degree.  But I'd put it more like, it looks like a different kind of team to me.  I mean, I've been around for a while.  I remember 1981 in Dye's first year.  We'd gone 5-6 in Barfield's last season and went 5-6 in Dye's first one.  But anyone paying attention could tell there was a difference in the two teams and the two coaches.

I would love for this to be like 1981. Because we quickly improved our record. But as Ive made perfectly clear, I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Don't forget that Bear was almost on the way out in 1981. And Wee Man could be there for 15 more years.

Edited by AUwent
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I would love for this to be like 1981. Because we quickly improved our record. But as Ive made perfectly clear, I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Don't forget that Bear was almost on the way out in 1981. And Wee Man could be there for 15 more years.

I can't predict what the next few years are going to be under Harsin.  But I just think it's crazy to act like we're looking at the same kind of football we saw the last few years under Gus.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I can't predict what the next few years are going to be under Harsin.  But I just think it's crazy to act like we're looking at the same kind of football we saw the last few years under Gus.

Fair. I was glad we didn't fold when we fell behind 21-10.

But IF 5-7 happens, IDK how good we should be feeling about our program's future.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah.  To some degree.  But I'd put it more like, it looks like a different kind of team to me.  I mean, I've been around for a while.  I remember 1981 in Dye's first year.  We'd gone 5-6 in Barfield's last season and went 5-6 in Dye's first one.  But anyone paying attention could tell there was a difference in the two teams and the two coaches.

Ugh. Don't pull the experience card. I played the flipping sport and have watched AU religiously for 25 years now,

This isn't indicative of how things will going forward, but the coaching ineptitude is cause for concern no matter how hard the boys go at it. The boys cared under Gus too. Don't read more into it than is warranted. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I hope you are right my friend. So disappointed with tonight’s outcome. 

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I would love for this to be like 1981.

Charles and Dianna got hitched.

The Iran hostages were released.

The Delorean was created.

Raiders of the Lost Ark debuted.

American Airlines introduced the first frequent flier miles.

China and CDC were only "what-iffing" gain-of-function experiments on the Coronavirus.

• Haha 1

Just now, AUx said:

Charles and Dianna got hitched.

The Iran hostages were released.

The Delorean was created.

Raiders of the Lost Ark debuted.

American Airlines introduced the first frequent flier miles.

China and CDC were only "what-iffing" gain-of-function experiments on the Coronavirus.

Good times.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Ugh. Don't pull the experience card. I played the flipping sport and have watched AU religiously for 25 years now,

It’s not “the experience card.”  I’m just telling you what I’ve seen. We were a 5-6 team in 1981. Coaches made some bad calls or didn’t have players ready for some situations that cost them some games that year too. But the difference was clear. 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

This isn't indicative of how things will going forward, but the coaching ineptitude is cause for concern no matter how hard the boys go at it. The boys cared under Gus too. Don't read more into it than is warranted. 

It’s more than “they cared.”  But honestly I’d don’t really care to keep splitting hairs over it with you anymore. 

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Fair. I was glad we didn't fold when we fell behind 21-10.

But IF 5-7 happens, IDK how good we should be feeling about our program's future.

You really see six more losses on this schedule based on what you’ve seen?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

He's 69.  He won't be there much longer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You really see six more losses on this schedule based on what you’ve seen?

Possibly. LSU should be pretty fired up coming in with win over MSU and given our track record in DV and Bo on road. Arky is after LSU and Georgia. OM is looking pretty good. 

@Brad_ATX: JoePa stayed at PSU til he was 85. Bobby til he was 80. And much to the delight of the Turd fanbase, he is a workaholic perfectionist.

Edited by AUwent

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It’s not “the experience card.”  I’m just telling you what I’ve seen. We were a 5-6 team in 1981. Coaches made some bad calls or didn’t have players ready for some situations that cost them some games that year too. But the difference was clear. 

Yep, playing the "experience" card. 

One of my favorite AU teams was the 99 team, Tommy's first year. You want to talk about a year we had the heart but not the horses?  Yeah. That was a good example.

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It’s more than “they cared.”  But honestly I’d don’t really care to keep splitting hairs over it with you anymore. 

No it isn't, and now you're taking your ball and going home. Because "reasons" or something.

Tonight was an abject failure. We had everything we needed to pull this out and why we didn't is clear. Coaching .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 out of 10 posters here wanted to see improvements and I think in a lot of the game we did. Bit there are also those scratch your head moments that has already been discussed.

I really hope Bo becomes a good QB but I am not holding my breath. He could easily have a total of 5 ints this season. 2 at Ala St and 3 tonight. So to those who say he isn't turning the ball over is not because of his decision making but sheer luck on his part. 

I do like that we punched back as hard as we were punched throughout the game. I look forward to what our future holds when we get some recruits from our current coaching staff! War Eagle 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Rumplestiltskin is one honest reporter question away from an aneurism - one wrinkled-red-carpeted-step from a femur and hip fracture - one 60-minutes interview from arraignment - or one more infuriating 1,000,000-"rolltidecoach" day from going postal (only bammers think he actually "likes" hearing that). May he live long and enjoy his prosperity. Difficult to digest today's mediocre performance when the prior average record wasn't terrible. What I think and tell myself is the fundamental values NOW are more aligned to higher ceilings. Trust but verify Don't hang life-worth on something I can't control via forum posts. :) 

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Love the general support here for players efforts, but this feels like so many Malzahn losses - we SHOULD have won.

U nailed it. Most people won’t like it but pretty much the same thing. Bad play calling trying to get to cute. I was concerned about the defense scheme. Need to press more

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

We were down 21-3 before we cracked 100 yds of offense in the Bama game.  96 yds of our total offense came on one drive at the end of the game when we were down 42-6.  The two games aren't comparable.

Do better.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400933843

I’m going to start from 2017 and work up from the Gus era. I will not even roll back to his NC appearance year. Hopefully this is more comparable for you. @ Clemson , if you did not know Clemson ended up winning NC this year.  

Again I wanted a change more than the next guy. Tonight was no different how ever you try to slice it up. That’s ok , improvements can be made. 

You  want to compare Gus first year to now ? 

This is good for you. You can block this account too. I won’t come back, but don’t be a coward and respond to someone then block them. Yes that is 💯 a losers mentally and you proved ne right when you blocked my original account. 

WDE 

33 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

8 out of 10 posters here wanted to see improvements and I think in a lot of the game we did. Bit there are also those scratch your head moments that has already been discussed.

I really hope Bo becomes a good QB but I am not holding my breath. He could easily have a total of 5 ints this season. 2 at Ala St and 3 tonight. So to those who say he isn't turning the ball over is not because of his decision making but sheer luck on his part. 

I do like that we punched back as hard as we were punched throughout the game. I look forward to what our future holds when we get some recruits from our current coaching staff! War Eagle 

U nailed it the team did show improvement . However the team lost because of those head scratchers . There may haven’t been as many as in the past but the results are the same. Running that 3rd and 1 play instead of letting the quarter end really blew my mind.

The more I think about it the more I think we miss a bowl this year and next. I think we have a very dark future as a program--the SEC has just never been better and it appears we are falling behind. I could see us becoming sixth in the pecking order in eh west. I'm sorry, I wish I could find something to convince me otherwise.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Clear improvement by the offensive line, which has been atrocious the last two years.

Bo has improved.  He is clearly making better decisions out there and not doing dumb things to get us beat.  And that's despite the fact that we do not have a WR corp that helps him out much at all.

We are physical.  A Gus team would have fallen apart after that turnover putting us down 21-10 right out of half.  These guys go out and ram the ball down their throats 12 out of 15 plays for a 75 yd TD drive.

I honestly don't know how anyone watches that game and thinks we look just like we have the last few years under beep boop.  This team is made of different stuff.  

Has Oline improved or are RB making them look good ?
Go back and watch the game. Most runs where hit at the line or cut back. 
 Bo was under pressure a good part of the game. What in the world are you talking about. 

Do not have good WR? 
Well we have out-recruited Penn State in that category so who does that fall on? 

A Gus team would have fallen ? 
uuummm , again can bring up plenty of games where Auburn clawed back into games after big set backs. 

We could have rammed the ball down there throat from the first whistle. Coaches just decided to do it too late. 

Do you just make up stuff in your head and block who ever calls you out or what ?  

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

Yep, playing the "experience" card. 

One of my favorite AU teams was the 99 team, Tommy's first year. You want to talk about a year we had the heart but not the horses?  Yeah. That was a good example.

No it isn't, and now you're taking your ball and going home. Because "reasons" or something.

Tonight was an abject failure. We had everything we needed to pull this out and why we didn't is clear. Coaching .

It’s no more the experience card than you citing 1999 would be to a kid in college now. It’s just something you have seen similarities (or not) to before. That’s it. I think we’re a team that’s learning to get better. You don’t. Fine. It’s not “taking my ball and going home,” it’s just understanding that given the vehemence of your position, I don’t think continuing to go at it with you is going to change anything. I don’t know what else to tell you because we’re discussing a “vibe” or a feeling to some degree. 

5 hours ago, Field said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400933843

I’m going to start from 2017 and work up from the Gus era. I will not even roll back to his NC appearance year. Hopefully this is more comparable for you. @ Clemson , if you did not know Clemson ended up winning NC this year.  

Again I wanted a change more than the next guy. Tonight was no different how ever you try to slice it up. That’s ok , improvements can be made. 

You  want to compare Gus first year to now ? 

This is good for you. You can block this account too. I won’t come back, but don’t be a coward and respond to someone then block them. Yes that is 💯 a losers mentally and you proved ne right when you blocked my original account. 

WDE 

I gave you the night off (a suspension not a ban) because you were being a jackass. 

That said, I hardly see how a game where we had 117 yds of total offense and had a team that was a Kerryon injury away from an SEC title makes your case. We had a better team overall then. This is a team that went 9-4 two years ago, 6-5 last year and got hammered by their biggest rivals. You make zero sense. 

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

Possibly. LSU should be pretty fired up coming in with win over MSU and given our track record in DV and Bo on road. Arky is after LSU and Georgia. OM is looking pretty good. 

@Brad_ATX: JoePa stayed at PSU til he was 85. Bobby til he was 80. And much to the delight of the Turd fanbase, he is a workaholic perfectionist.

I think MSU gives LSU a good game and perhaps a win.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not convinced we win if its in Auburn, but I love the effort and fight.  Had this penciled as an L pre-season, but wanted to see progress.  I saw that tonight.  Lots to build on.

You don’t think being at home swings this game a touchdown? I think we win by 10-14 if we’re in Auburn, personally. Hell, Bobo dials up a run instead of that fade and we win this one. 

The culture of mental and physical toughness and quality coaching flashed bright last night. Now we need to get better playmakers at key positions. I look forward to the next few years with Harsin in charge of our program. 

• Like 3

Mental and physical toughness was displayed. Coaching is TBD because that’s basically what lost the game. There may not have been as many events, but the events that happened loomed large.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1