Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It actually cost closer to $40 million with assistant contracts.

Even if it was $50M, it was still money well spent.  Could not have taken one more play with Goober Malfunction at the helm!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

I agree Bo is accountable that's not even the point I'm trying to make. I'm saying he's not in my top 5-10 of concerns in last night's games.

Have a hard time believing that was a read on that play the way it went down. Maybe a pre-snap read? Regardless. If you call a timeout call a play not a multiple read situation with the game on the line. Put the ball in Tanks hands. Period.

It looked like a “rub fade” and the defender read it and blocked the fade with his body (exactly the way it is coached). The 2nd receiver was not able to execute the rub bc the defender moved pre-snap. ( looked like to me anyway).

I'm nit reading this thread so not sure it was touched on, but I liked seeing Tank/Hunter on the field together. 

On one solid run to the left, Hunter sealed the edge and left Tank yet a big gain

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

oh-the-irony-derek-muller.gif

image.gif.243c1d9458ef4e5f1f6b19f8b1e88160.gifthere were some questionable play calls but to equate years of questionable play calls is a weird comparison.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Exposing themselves?  This isn't Nazi Germany after WWII. 

I see people that want to see improvement in the area of play calling.  That was not on display last night.  If anything, it was worse.  There is nothing wrong with pointing out the truth.  This is not Idaho.  Make dumb decisions and you will get called out for it.  I called out Gus plenty of times and the same with those that came before him. I hope we learn and improve, but if we don't, I won't pretend that we are.  You don't have to like it, but you don't have the power to make people talk pretty just for the sake of your feelings.

Everyone wants CBH to succeed.  You want to coddle him.  Nobody gets paid millions to coach football in the South without having dumb decisions pointed out.

We should have just stolen PS last play call that they scored on. That was brilliant. Line up 3 WR to the right and pretty much empty it defenders on the left side, then run off Left Tackle. Easy TD. We should have run a similar play. But Bobo runs fade. SMH. I would love to hear Bobo and Harsin own that and just admit it was a bad play call and assure us it won't happen again.

• Like 3

Overall I was pleased with last night. We took a top 10 team to the wire.

We're going to be a VERY good program. Last night, it was obvious the coaching was 100% improved. That will help sustainability. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

Overall I was pleased with last night. We took a top 10 team to the wire.

We're going to be a VERY good program. Last night, it was obvious the coaching was 100% improved. That will help sustainability. 

Exactly. Coaching wasn't perfect nor was play but we have building blocks. A long season ahead.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

image.gif.243c1d9458ef4e5f1f6b19f8b1e88160.gifthere were some questionable play calls but to equate years of questionable play calls is a weird comparison.  

It is but you got to know this individuals. 

There is no doubt that yesterday on the long passes Bo was throwing Moonshots that were pretty awful. In our first game he threw more traditional long balls with much less arc. I am wondering if after that one hit if his arm was damaged. I know Bo doesn't have the strongest arm but I have seen him throw better long balls. I am not excusing him it was either really bad throws and his arm was healthy or his arm was hurting and he couldn't make the throw if that was the case you tell the coaches and they have option of bringing in Finley or avoiding those type throws.   

I am hoping on offense we learned enough to realize where our strengths are and utilize them. Smash mouth formations with 2 TE's   and sometimes 3 TE's utilizing Tank and Hunter at TB with sometimes both in backfield if LB's and safety's come up do what Penn State did have the TE do initial block then leak out for an easy throw and catch.  I hope Bobo analyzes the Penn State O plays we could incorporate a lot of what they did. 

I am still baffled how Dotson could continuously be so open. We have DB's with the skill set to stay with him in man to man but the zone gave him to many easy catches with to much green to allow him to make people miss. The bend not break D was not working so we should have made adjustments which we didn't do.  

Finally pressure the QB. Any decent QB he can stay in the pocket for extended periods of time will eventually find an open receiver you have to find a way to pressure. To often we rushed only 3 or 4 and almost never shot a LB or safety making it very easy to pass block against us, the few times we did Blitz we advertised it in advance so they were able to adjust for it. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I'm nit reading this thread so not sure it was touched on, but I liked seeing Tank/Hunter on the field together. 

On one solid run to the left, Hunter sealed the edge and left Tank yet a big gain

I thought that might have been the arrangement for the forth and 2 play.

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Even if it was $50M, it was still money well spent.  Could not have taken one more play with Goober Malfunction at the helm!  

Goober Malfunction. I like that

8 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Last play of the game.  did not understand. not as bad as fade on 4th down but still.

send 3 WR's to a spot in the EZ and chunk in there.  it actually works sometimes.  Bo trying to laser a ball into coverage  short of the goal line. what was that? he has neither the arm strength nor the accuracy to pull that off.

upon further review, that play was much worser than I first thought.  not only did Bo attempt a pass that he is ill-suited for, there was a receiver running wide open in the middle of the field.

AT THE 15 YD. LINE.   

now, i suppose it's possible that he was a decoy to draw a defender away from the intended WR, but for pete's sake, Bo had time to wait until his receivers made it to the endzone, . catch and run for TD highly unlikely.

Edited by EastAl_Tiger
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Finally pressure the QB. Any decent QB he can stay in the pocket for extended periods of time will eventually find an open receiver you have to find a way to pressure. To often we rushed only 3 or 4 and almost never shot a LB or safety making it very easy to pass block against us, the few times we did Blitz we advertised it in advance so they were able to adjust for it. 

This for sure. 

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

PSU is coming to Auburn next season too so we can always win the next one.  

Hope a lot of PSU fans make the trip. As a whole, they were absolutely terrific fans, and the atmosphere was phenomenal. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Hope a lot of PSU fans make the trip. As a whole, they were absolutely terrific fans, and the atmosphere was phenomenal. 

By the way, where were you?  I thought you were picking me up to go to the game?  You promised…

B6E7850C-216E-41AE-B53A-9CF1CB24931C.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Jeezbus. Some of y’all act like we didn’t just take a top 10 team down to the wire on the road.

A loss is a loss...we shouldn't be happy with moral victories...we're not Vandy or FSU.  This is a good perspective and I hope Harsin gets a clear picture what each loss means on the Plains.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

A loss is a loss...we shouldn't be happy with moral victories...we're not Vandy or FSU.  This is a good perspective and I hope Harsin gets a clear picture what each loss means on the Plains.

That’s correct. I am not claiming a moral victory. We showed improvement and I can appreciate that. I don’t think Harsin needs any pointers from the fans. He’s way more invested than we pretend to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I rarely make a game, but I’ll damn sure help make a tailgate next year if someone needs a cook/grillmaster.

20 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Play calls on offense, at very critical times, were Malzahn type. 

Look no further than the first play of the 2nd half. Mind boggling.

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

That’s correct. I am not claiming a moral victory. We showed improvement and I can appreciate that. I don’t think Harsin needs any pointers from the fans. He’s way more invested than we pretend to be.

It's wild that pointing out the positives to build on is being "happy" with a "moral victory". I've noticed a decent amount of that performative hypercritical tough guy stuff today.

If the same mistakes are still being made 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 years from now... have at it, fam.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Look no further than the first play of the 2nd half. Mind boggling.

The problem is that we have been trained over the last few years to look for bonehead play calls.   There were a few in this game,  but not more than any other coach makes. And definitely WAY less than Gus.    Even the great Saban's teams make bonehead calls every now and then.   Right now we do not have the horses to make up for the random bad play call.

The trick play was not a bonehead call.  It was just not executed well,  and the random fumble was not cause because of a bad play call.  

• Like 1