Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

If you're running a fade at the goal line it literally isn't an option at all unless it's the first option. 

That's what I would have thought, too. 

But, if so, that basically means Harsin is lying and is blaming his QB. Which also seems unlikely. 

I would love to hear from some of the coaches here on this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

(I was mostly just venting on not using Tank/Jarquez more, and the low-percentage throws, and of course the fade!). That fade was Taylor made for: 1. Better QB and go-to WR and 2. Up-by-21, “what the hell, let’s try that fade we were talking about”.  

This.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't disagree.  Just pointing out that we apparently had more options on the play that was called and our experienced QB chose none.

This will be interesting to see what Harsin says after looking at the tape.. either Bobo called a fade and we threw it and blew it or nix just decided to throw the fade .. the 5 other options is crazy .. when a fade is called.. you throw the fade there are no other options.. regardless it was a horrible play call and horrible execution. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Main thing I was really disappointed with was the pass rush.  Plus that silly call coming out half and the other silly one on the 4th down at the 2.  If I got a stud RB I’m getting him the ball in that situation.  

You know, “bobo” in Spanish literally means “silly”

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I remember Gus Malzahn taking the 2013 team into a hostile Baton Rouge in game 3 of the season and getting beaten to death in the first half. Then we ran the table and we almost won another natty. I’m not saying that’s going to happen this year. But an 8 point loss to #10 on the road during their most insane home game of the year doesn’t necessarily equate to a team that will be completely average and bland.  I trust in this staff to coach the guys up and learn from the loss. 

Apples and oranges, but of the type that does not dispute the conclusion. Hopefully, the most beneficial outcome here is that BOTH the players AND coaches learn from this - and get much, much better. Neither has shown inability, YET. 

There's probably a little that the players and coaches didn't know about each other from mere practice +2. Now, they can calibrate. Certainly no reason to abandon ship. So wish it had been a PSU skull stomp :)

23 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

How can you tell? If we had gotten pressure on their QB, he may have folded. The few times we did, he threw an INT. 

A nothing interception in trash time before the half. I can tell by the fact that he hit his open receivers in the chest. Our guy under threw and over threw his all night in crucial moments and he did that with time to throw. Again, going back to the first terrible throw to the end zone when our receiver was wide open. And that’s just one of many examples. 

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

This is horse crap. You HAVE to blame someone and declare the season a loss!

Lol. Apparently. All these people saying “we are what we are, not bad but not good”. Good teams lose on the road in a Penn St whiteout by a score. Average  teams get beat 29-10. Bad teams get manhandled like Georgia did us last year. Jesus, A&M almost lost on the road to Colorado. Bama almost lost on the road to Florida, LSU got freaking beat down by UCLA, Ohio St got beat at home! Oklahoma nearly lost to Tulane at home. Clemson nearly lost tonight. Those are your “Good Teams”. 

People need to see the big picture and quit freaking the **** out every time we lose. Bama doing what they are doing has been the absolute most toxic thing for Auburn fans. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AUx said:

Apples and oranges, but of the type that does not dispute the conclusion. Hopefully, the most beneficial outcome here is that BOTH the players AND coaches learn from this - and get much, much better. Neither has shown inability, YET. 

There's probably a little that the players and coaches didn't know about each other from mere practice +2. Now, they can calibrate. Certainly no reason to abandon ship. So wish it had been a PSU skull stomp :)

The point of the first part was to show that teams can recover from loses and a game 3 loss to a good opponent doesn’t always spell doom or mean you don’t have the horses to win games.

10 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I was wondering about that. It seemed like Franklin caught it, was screaming at the ref, and punted anyway?  I figured he would have just refused to play the next down, until the situation was addressed.  So instead of that, he just trotted the punt team out there?  If so, your are certainly correct that that was most assuredly a huge mistake. (I was mostly just venting on not using Tank/Jarquez more, and the low-percentage throws, and of course the fade!). That fade was Taylor made for: 1. Better QB and go-to WR and 2. Up-by-21, “what the hell, let’s try that fade we were talking about”.  

This confused me, why not at least call a timeout in that situation, surely they'd give it back once they knew they screwed it up?  Either way, officiating in this game was terrible, should never have been in that situation in the first place.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

This.

I am ignorant compared to most of the AuFamily.  Never played, never coached. But I’m a fairly bright guy, and a rabid fan. Of all things Auburn (class of ‘96). I think what burned me up tonight was watching such wonderful play calling by PSU, then ours. Like point/counterpoint and we were clearly outclassed.  If someone as ignorant as I, could see that, I’m sure the coaches/ former players were apoplectic. I fully realize that you cannot just run the ball 80 times. I know you need to mix it up and keep them honest and set up the run but, it was just such a difference in playcalling, I was just disappointed so then I started running off at the mouth. My mouth gets me in a lot of trouble. 

7 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

A nothing interception in trash time before the half. I can tell by the fact that he hit his open receivers in the chest. Our guy under threw and over threw his all night in crucial moments and he did that with time to throw. Again, going back to the first terrible throw to the end zone when our receiver was wide open. And that’s just one of many examples. 

I sure wish our QB would have had all that time with no pressure..:

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I never called for Finley except for the last drive where I thought we’d have to chunk it, but it seems pretty evident that this drive is going to want the QB to make some pretty difficult passes to some very ordinary WRs. That’s not Bo’s game. Not to say Finley definitely can, but he can at least stick it on a receiver. The ability to ensure a ball doesn’t hang in the air for centuries left with Nick Marshall it felt like 

And I’m not necessarily calling for Finley either. Bo just brings mediocrity with him. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Coach might be pissed but that screw up to open the half is really what cost Auburn the game. That basically was the ball game . Had they ran the plays they were on the second possession who knows. This sucks but tomorrow the sun will still rise

Just now, Fastlax16 said:

Courtesy of your wonderful SEC officiating crew.

If I'm getting paid what Franklin and his staff is getting paid, that doesn't end the way it did.  I knew it as soon as it happened. .Penn State punted on third down and that's on James Franklin.

• Like 2

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

The point of the first part was to show that teams can recover from loses and a game 3 loss to a good opponent doesn’t always spell doom or mean you don’t have the horses to win games.

Sorry. I was not disagreeing. I was subtly saying we stand to LEARN and IMPROVE a lot more than the case cited, IF what happens what (I too) expect to happen. There was a lot more "lightning in a bottle" previously - Just need some more explosive plays, more fades, more reverses. I kind of think this time, it is more "mea culpa" and we will hari kari if we do that 5h1t again.

11 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Whew- listening to harsin postgame radio.... he is ill. In the most constructive way but he is ill. Would not want to cross that guy

donald-glover-good.gif

Came back to say:

@cole256 is right about Bo. Can’t rely on him to win a game in crunch time and tonight proved it.  Loss doesn’t fall on Bo, but he’s not recreating that Oregon magic any time soon. The back shoulder throws were great, but you can’t make a living off of that.

- If we had upper level SEC talent, then Robertson would be WR2.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s clearly our #1, and he’s pretty good.  Not sure why Canion or Capers aren’t the other starters - what are they not doing right and how has their stock plummeted?

- Cant win with those drops.  Shed should not be on the field that much.

- OL held their own.  Could’ve gotten a little better push in the middle in some short yardage situations and could’ve pass blocked better early in the game, but not at all the disaster many had feared.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I am ignorant compared to most of the AuFamily.  Never played, never coached. But I’m a fairly bright guy, and a rabid fan. Of all things Auburn (class of ‘96). I think what burned me up tonight was watching such wonderful play calling by PSU, then ours. Like point/counterpoint and we were clearly outclassed.  If someone as ignorant as I, could see that, I’m sure the coaches/ former players were apoplectic. I fully realize that you cannot just run the ball 80 times. I know you need to mix it up and keep them honest and set up the run but, it was just such a difference in playcalling, I was just disappointed so then I started running off at the mouth. My mouth gets me in a lot of trouble. 

If the coach calls a pass play and the line gives the QB all day and he completes a beautiful pass, it’s pretty easy to say it was a great play call. 

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Coach might be pissed but that screw up to open the half is really what cost Auburn the game. That basically was the ball game . Had they ran the plays they were on the second possession who knows. This sucks but tomorrow the sun will still rise

Would rather make those mistakes now than in SEC play.  If we turn around and win in two weeks at LSU, no one here will care about tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

If I'm getting paid what Franklin and his staff is getting paid, that doesn't end the way it did.  I knew it as soon as it happened. .Penn State punted on third down and that's on James Franklin.

Except it wasn’t third down. The officials huddled and announced it was fourth down. It was officially 4th. Did you want Franklin to pull his team off the field in protest? He would have been tossed if this was a basketball game. Horrible crew. 

• Like 1