“Show up, give a s*** and repeat.”

SRBautigerfan

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

So, that's actually a good idea that I hadn't considered before, not to combine. But, I always combine before dipping. 

By the way, I don't know how this conversation turned into a Conecuh geek out, but I'm here for it. 

If you're ever looking for an easy meal that's good for serving company, a stripped down shrimp and grits with Conecuh is usually a crowd pleaser. Brown the sausage, deglaze with onions and peppers, add some garlic, cook those down a little and then throw the sausage back in, throw in the shrimp, add in whatever seasonings you want and some heavy cream if you are feeling decadent, serve over some cheese grits that you googled the recipe for... bread and salad if you're so inclined... makes great leftovers, too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Best damn boudin I've ever had is from T-Boys in Ville Platte.  I never leave LA without loading up a cooler and hauling it back to Alabama.  

Here you go @McLoofusto get your "research" started. T-Boys

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

If you're ever looking for an easy meal that's good for serving company, a stripped down shrimp and grits with Conecuh is usually a crowd pleaser. Brown the sausage, deglaze with onions and peppers, add some garlic, cook those down a little and then throw the sausage back in, throw in the shrimp, add in whatever seasonings you want and some heavy cream if you are feeling decadent, serve over some cheese grits that you googled the recipe for... bread and salad if you're so inclined... makes great leftovers, too. 

So, we don't cook much seafood in my house because Ms. Barnacle is not a fan, but I do get to cook it when we have folks over. I am 100% going to give this a shot. 

Question, once you put the shrimp back in, are you browning it before you add the cream, or letting it cook while the cream reduces?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cook grits in salted water  - add 1/2 block of cream cheese + add 2 cups of Cracker Barrell extra sharp cheddar cheese + add 1/2 stick of real butter + add 1/2 cup heavy cream.   Increase quantities as needed for the volume of grits. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

So, we don't cook much seafood in my house because Ms. Barnacle is not a fan, but I do get to cook it when we have folks over. I am 100% going to give this a shot. 

Question, once you put the shrimp back in, are you browning it before you add the cream, or letting it cook while the cream reduces?

Personally I'm going to let the shrimp cook halfway and then do the cream. 

Oh, and garnish with scallions/green onions.

By the way, did y'all know that you can get regular grocery store green onions and plug the cut bulb into some dirt and never buy green onions again? Ditto for those "living lettuces" that come with the root balls fully intact.

• Thanks 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

Personally I'm going to let the shrimp cook halfway and then do the cream. 

Oh, and garnish with scallions/green onions.

By the way, did y'all know that you can get regular grocery store green onions and plug the cut bulb into some dirt and never buy green onions again? Ditto for those "living lettuces" that come with the root balls fully intact.

I did not know that... but my wife and I kill everything we plant. We are the worst. THE WORST at keeping stuff alive. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Cook grits in salted water  - add 1/2 block of cream cheese + add 2 cups of Cracker Barrell extra sharp cheddar cheese + add 1/2 stick of real butter + add 1/2 cup heavy cream.   Increase quantities as needed for the volume of grits. 

Keesler, my dude! Why have we not talked food more.

I'm'a step it up another notch here. If you're making shrimp and grits and you're buying your shrimp with the shells still on- sure hope you are- make a shrimp stock after peeling and deveining and cook the grits in that with the salt. Chicken broth is great, too. Sometimes I go half stock and half water since there's already so much cream and cheese in them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I did not know that... but my wife and I kill everything we plant. We are the worst. THE WORST at keeping stuff alive. 

Right there with you but those onions are resilient little bastards. Hard fighting soldiers, they are. Moderate sunlight, just make sure the dirt doesn't dry all the way out. 

• Like 1

Right there with you but those onions are resilient little bastards. Hard fighting soldiers, they are. Moderate sunlight, just make sure the dirt doesn't dry all the way out. 

I have a bad feeling that you are overestimating the onions, and underestimating me. By the way, how the hell does anyone keep basil alive? I'm like 0 for 20 on that front. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 1

Same as chives - you can not kill it and it multiplies so much that the neighbors get a fresh bag twice a month.  I'm primed and ready for cool/cold weather lettuces/kale/greens. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Barnacle said:

I have a bad feeling that you are overestimating the onions, and overestimating me. By the way, how the hell does anyone keep basil alive? I'm like 0 for 20 on that front. 

Okay, so maybe I have a magic little corner on my back porch where my grocery store basil sits next to my grocery store green onions and lettuce. But I did finally learn something with the basil- make sure your pot has holes in the bottom and then set it in a tray/pan full of water and just make sure that pan doesn't dry out. You'll never have to water the basil pot itself. Basil loves sun but it stays thirsty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Okay, so maybe I have a magic little corner on my back porch where my grocery store basil sits next to my grocery store green onions and lettuce. But I did finally learn something with the basil- make sure your pot has holes in the bottom and then set it in a tray/pan full of water and just make sure that pan doesn't dry out. You'll never have to water the basil pot itself. Basil loves sun but it stays thirsty. 

Water from the top? Or only keep water in the pan?

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Just throw the peels in some water and boil?

Yup. And any veggie peels and stems you have. 

The way they used to make stock is they kept a pot on the stove all day long and threw in every bit of leftovers- carcasses, inedible vegetable parts, stale bread, cheese rinds... everything. No science to it at all. Just use hot water to extract flavor out of everything. Get it to a boil then drop it down to a simmer for as much time as you've got until you need it. Or just freeze it for later. Makes a huuuuge difference when cooking starches and making sauces. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I have a bad feeling that you are overestimating the onions, and underestimating me. By the way, how the hell does anyone keep basil alive? I'm like 0 for 20 on that front. 

I put mine in a sunny spot with a plastic pan under it that I fill with water 2-3 times/week, I do the same with rosemary & thyme.  It grows so fast I can't give enough away.   Now I've had a hell of a time with dill this year, maybe too much rain & moisture??  IDK

• Like 1

Yup. And any veggie peels and stems you have. 

The way they used to make stock is they kept a pot on the stove all day long and threw in every bit of leftovers- carcasses, inedible vegetable parts, stale bread, cheese rinds... everything. No science to it at all. Just use hot water to extract flavor out of everything. Get it to a boil then drop it down to a simmer for as much time as you've got until you need it. Or just freeze it for later. Makes a huuuuge difference when cooking starches and making sauces. 

Yeah this is an art I've yet to master, but seems pretty elemental to cooking a lot of things correctly. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Conecuh owns

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was about to answer but I'm 100% going to let @keesler take it from here.

Haha!

I water from the bottom 2-3 times a week IF it's a dry week with little to no rain.  This year however, has been unusually rainy and I just leave them alone and let nature do it's thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah this is an art I've yet to master, but seems pretty elemental to cooking a lot of things correctly. 

A big part of me is the reduce/reuse/recycle aspect of it. Taking literal trash and using it to make your food taste better with minimal effort... like, it doesn't get any better for me than that. BUT... it really does make your food taste better. And there's no substitute for that fatty protein umami. 

And you don't have to add anything but the carcass. You can always season when you put it in your meal. The only critical part is extracting that fat and flavor out of the bones and infusing your water with it. Everything else is just using whatever's on hand.

Do me a favor. If you guys ever get rotisserie chickens from the grocery, just save all the chicken bones and boil for 20 minutes. Strain that and then use it instead of water for any savory dish. Hell, just cook some rice or pasta in it. 

I'm getting hungry. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Haha!

I water from the bottom 2-3 times a week IF it's a dry week with little to no rain.  This year however, has been unusually rainy and I just leave them alone and let nature do it's thing.  

Same. The only reason it's working for us is the low maintenance. Our thumbs are any color but green.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I can imagine.

I don't believe I've had Richard's, but if it's from Louisiana, then it'll put up as good a challenge as any. Louisiana and Texas are always the states that give me pause in meat-based conversations. @Tiger Refuge turned me on to Best Stop in Scott for ordering Cajun food for delivery. Their jalapeno cheddar smoked sausages are insane, as are their smoked boudin and stuffed deboned chickens. And some other stuff. 

Have now spent 30 mins looking at their online store. Big order coming. 

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is the best thread ever. Just look how far we've come, the stops along the way. And who knows what awaits. 

I do a very similar quick shrimp and grits, adding a little wine and celery to the onion and pepper deglaze. I've even been known to cheat with quick-cook grits, just adding some cheddar, garlic, and cream. I know, I know. But it makes for a surprisingly fast and delicious meal. 

25 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Man, same here with the basil. A shame, since it's my favorite herb and I love cooking Italian.