“Show up, give a s*** and repeat.”

SRBautigerfan

4 hours ago, cbo said:

I'm not a huge gin guy, but that sounds refreshing. 

Would love to hear more from you and @fredston the Maker's Mark recommendations. 

I heard recently that the oldheads in KY, now that they have been priced out of the Buffalo Trace distillery products and the like, are drinking Very Old Barton and 86 proof Old Forester. And liking it fine. Might have to check those out for cheap alternatives. Then I can blow the money saved on expensive bourbon!

Cask strength Makers and the 1910 and 1920 OF are all very good and always “findable”. Thrown in some Barrell product on the higher $ end- it is almost all excellent and in those higher proofs (110*) that I like- and not much need to get other stuff. Barrel proof Larceny is also 🔥(120 proof wheated bourbon….yes please). 
Wait….is this the Beer/Spirits club meeting on another area of the board?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Agree, it's really nice being excited about a big game instead. We're not there by any means yet but when Dye was there I always felt like we could win. I have missed this feeling. 

I knew I had grown apathetic in the last couple seasons. But I didn't realize how much until I compared to my current excitement. Win or lose, it feels great to care again. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

how do I not now about this secret beer thread?  Is there a secret knock or something?

I know somebody that can help you out ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, looney said:

Got a wood chip smoker? Smoked bourbon/whisk(e)y cocktails are game changers.

Not @McLoofusbut I've got one. Haven't tried a cocktail yet. It's worth it? Tell me more. 

23 minutes ago, fredst said:

Cask strength Makers and the 1910 and 1920 OF are all very good and always “findable”. Thrown in some Barrell product on the higher $ end- it is almost all excellent and in those higher proofs (110*) that I like- and not much need to get other stuff. Barrel proof Larceny is also 🔥(120 proof wheated bourbon….yes please). 
Wait….is this the Beer/Spirits club meeting on another area of the board?

Appreciate it. I will carry this info to my next liquor store visit and have a much better chance of emerging victorious. 

That's way too many posts in a row from me. Somebody wake up and post something so I seem like less of a dork. 

I am a fan of the Conecuh Ridge 92, but my recent go to is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Don't sleep on WTRB!

@ Tiger Refuge I also used to brew beer (great hobby) but youth coaching and a declining interest in beer (too filling for the dad bod) led me astray, not that I don't drink any beer.

FYI for those of you visiting Mobile: both the Haberdasher and the Merry Widow pour Old Forrester 86 as their well bourbon.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Viper said:

Not to be debbie downer, but the last time I was this pumped for a road game was 2017 Clemson. That one was going to be so damn pivotal. I still think Gus bet on Clemson.

Then Gus bet on the other team alot. Js.

14 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Switch to two Old Forester 1910s. Neat.

willies reserve vape cartridges for the win..................lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I don't but I do love smoked everything.

Also, try some Rivulet pecan liqueur with the bourbon and stir it with a freshly cooked piece of Benton's bacon

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Also, try some Rivulet pecan liqueur with the bourbon and stir it with a freshly cooked piece of Benton's bacon

Bacon in general makes everything better. Benton’s, however, is on a higher plane. That is the best bacon in the history of  bacons. It should be served as a featured entree at fine restaurants 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, CMRVHS said:

@ Tiger Refuge I also used to brew beer (great hobby) but youth coaching and a declining interest in beer (too filling for the dad bod) led me astray, not that I don't drink any beer.

I brewed for about 10 years starting in grad school at AU.  Had my son 20 years ago,  and stopped brewing beer and meads until this year.   My son will be 21 in a few months,  so I started teaching him to brew when he came home from school this spring.  

I had forgotten how much of a pain brewing beer is.     If you never tried brewing mead,  It is extremely easy.  No boiling or dealing with wort.  Just mix it up and wait,  and wait and wait and wait.   Like beer,  complete and obsessive sanitation is the key.   If everything is sanitized it is hard to screw it up.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, looney said:

Got a wood chip smoker? Smoked bourbon/whisk(e)y cocktails are game changers.

i have never heard this. can you tell me how ya do it? i got a friend that drinks makers mark and he loves a roaring fire. he keeps some chips for his grill. i bet he would love this.

16 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I brewed for about 10 years starting in grad school at AU.  Had my son 20 years ago,  and stopped brewing beer and meads until this year.   My son will be 21 in a few months,  so I started teaching him to brew when he came home from school this spring.  

I had forgotten how much of a pain brewing beer is.     If you never tried brewing mead,  It is extremely easy.  No boiling or dealing with wort.  Just mix it up and wait,  and wait and wait and wait.   Like beer,  complete and obsessive sanitation is the key.   If everything is sanitized it is hard to screw it up.

i am into fantasy and historical novels from the dark ages. i have yet to taste any real mead and alabama will not allow you to order any by mail. i also always wanted to try wild boar of pig. i have a hunter friend that has some but he says it has a dirt taste that you cannot get rid of completely. but i have wanted to try the two at the same time. outside of atlanta they have a renaissance fair and for their 'back then' food was a turkey leg. and never get their frozen banana dipped in melted chocolate because that stuff will give you gas from hell. i broke off from my group to hopefullyl let one go and i heard a "my word sir"! the queen and two hand maidens popped out of a venders booth and i bombed the hell out of them. i was so embarrassed. lol.   funny story for the morning but i am interested in smoking whiskey.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am into fantasy and historical novels from the dark ages. i have yet to taste any real mead and alabama will not allow you to order any by mail. i also always wanted to try wild boar of pig. i have a hunter friend that has some but he says it has a dirt taste that you cannot get rid of completely. but i have wanted to try the two at the same time. outside of atlanta they have a renaissance fair and for their 'back then' food was a turkey leg. and never get their frozen banana dipped in melted chocolate because that stuff will give you gas from hell. i broke off from my group to hopefullyl let one go and i heard a "my word sir"! the queen and two hand maidens pooped out of a venders booth and i bombed the hell out of them. i was so embarrassed. lol.   funny story for the mornng but i am interested in smoking whiskey.

HAHAHA!  We all that a  a crop dusting.  You know,  when you walk by someone and crop dust them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

I think it just... Yep. It just moved a little.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I don't but I do love smoked everything.

Drop everything and deep dive on Amazon ("smoking gun" search) to find you one. It's worth it...most are well under $100.

Great way to get oohs and aahs from your guests.

Or yourself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i have never heard this. can you tell me how ya do it? i got a friend that drinks makers mark and he loves a roaring fire. he keeps some chips for his grill. i bet he would love this.

Just replied to Loof but a quick search on Amazon for "smoking gun" will pull up what you need.

The one my wife got me came with a sampling of wood "chips" (more like flakes).

I'll try to find a video of some of our early efforts, but basically... 

You measure your brown liquor and pour into a shaker/decanter. Light the smoker and pump it into the decanter and cap it, then swirl it around a bit. Put any other cocktail ingredients (if applicable) into a glass with ice.

You decide how long to let the brown liquor sit in smoke... Doesn't take long to get really smoky though.

Then uncap and pour it into the cocktail.

This sort of shows it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vkqGsS5u5qCpEumB9