Burks has 'shown a lot of growth'

aubiefifty

Marquis Burks has 'shown a lot of growth' on Auburn D-line

ByNathan King
4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Through two games, Marquis Burks isn't just getting it done on the stat sheet. Every part of his performances against Akron and Alabama State impressed his coaches, so much so that after both games, Auburn's defensive staff voted him the Tigers' defensive lineman of the week.

After turning in one sack in just five games last season, Burks, a JUCO addition in Auburn's 2020 class from Iowa Central Community College, is carving out an important role along Derek Mason's defensive front. He's a big-bodied defensive tackle at 6-foot-3 and 314 pounds who's not just contributing as an anchoring run-stopper.

Burks has provided plenty of pressure for No. 22 Auburn's defensive line, with two sacks in the the season opener against Akron. Last game against Alabama State, he was credited with a tackle for loss and a forced fumble of Hornets quarterback Ryan Nettles.

"He's been productive," Harsin said of Burks on Wednesday's SEC coaches teleconference. "He caused a fumble; he's been in one plays and had some opportunities to pressure and stop the run."

Burks, who picked up the nickname "Big Cheese" at Iowa Central for his love of cheese dip, didn't get spring practices with the team last year during the COVID-19 shutdown. In his first spring under Mason, however, he emerged as an important piece at defensive tackle, taking over first-team reps from Jeremiah Wright after his torn ACL.

"I’ve seen a lot of growth since he first got here," junior linebacker Owen Pappoe said of Burks this week. "Fresh out of JUCO to now, he’s shown a lot of growth, studies a lot more in the film room a lot with me and coach and it’s shown on the field. He’s gotten in shape. He’s a bigger dude so he’s going good now at the workouts that we do, sprints and all that, making our times and stuff."

Heading into the Tigers' first real test of the season at No. 10 Penn State (6:30 p.m. CST, ABC), Burks has been Auburn's fifth-most utilized defensive tackle in terms of snaps, yet he's tied for the team lead in sacks and is second in tackles for loss.

"(Burks) put the work in and it’s paying off now, man," Pappoe said. "He had two sacks a couple of games ago and had a really good game last week, too, so I’m expecting big things from him this weekend."

Quarterback pressure will be key for Auburn at Penn State this weekend. Nittany Lions quarterback Sean Clifford has yet to throw an interception after throwing 10 during the team's five-game losing streak to start last season.

"Coach Eason is doing a good job with those guys," Harsin said of Auburn's defensive line. "... I think all those guys have shown flashes."

In two games, six different Auburn defensive linemen have registered a sack, and eight have contributed to at least one negative play. Neither of Auburn's first two opponents eclipsed 200 yards of offense.

"I think we need to be more consistent to get that done, play after play," Harsin said. "I think against really good teams, that's important. Those guys on the D-line — it's very important for our team that those guys play well and do their jobs consistently. And not just the four that are out there."

Auburn's staff has been intentional about its defensive-line rotation ahead of Penn State. They're not reaching too far down the depth chart yet, making sure the players who will be playing this weekend are comfortable and confident heading into a marquee, early season matchup. Auburn has five freshmen defensive linemen, if edge rusher Dylan Brooks is included, and only one has appeared in the team's first two games (defensive end Tobechi Okoli).

"More reps for those guys in the last two games hopefully helps us in the long run," Harsin said. "That message has been sent in practice — taking care of business on the D-line so the rest of the guys can do their job."

Burks had a good game against Alabama state. It pissed me off that he got a sack,FF, and I think he recovered it too all in one play and the broadcast didn’t even say his name. Hopefully he keeps making plays, having somebody who can make an impact from inside like that is important 

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 1