Auburn opens as touchdown underdog at Penn State

aubiefifty

Auburn opens as touchdown underdog at Penn State

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
2 minutes

Football: Auburn vs Alabama State

Sep 11, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Captains meeting before the game between Auburn and Alabama State at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn will be an underdog for the first time in the Bryan Harsin era when it travels to State College, Penn., next weekend.

Auburn opened as a seven-point underdog against Penn State on Sunday, according to VegasInsider.com. The Tigers were favored by at least five touchdowns in each of their first two games of the season, against Akron and Alabama State.

No. 22 Auburn (2-0) will take on No. 10 Penn State (2-0) at 6:30 p.m. CT Saturday in Beaver Stadium, with the game airing on ABC. It will be the first matchup between the two teams since the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1, 2003.

The top-25 showdown will be the first of six games remaining on Auburn’s schedule against teams currently ranked in the AP poll, including four against top-10 teams. Auburn has not won a game against a top-10 ranked opponent on the road since 2014, when it defeated fourth-ranked Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss., in a top-five matchup.

Happy Valley will also host ESPN’s College GameDay on Saturday, with ESPN’s flagship college football pregame show broadcasting live from the Penn State campus.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Auburn has not won a game against a top-10 ranked opponent on the road since 2014, when it defeated fourth-ranked Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss., in a top-five matchup.

i did not know this. we have a lot of work to do but i bet coach harsin gets us back on track.

Seems about right to me.  We were unranked to start the season and haven't beaten a P5 team yet.  AU was very sloppy in the game on Sat.  If we play like that against PSU we will lose by at least 7.  Yes I know we had some non-O TDs and that is great, but you can't count on those in a big game like this.  Sat will point us in the direction of our team for the season.  If we can come out and run the ball to open up the pass, then we have a chance.  But I am still very curious how Nix is going to do on the road.  He has made some bad decisions in the past on the road.  

WDE!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Seems about right to me.  We were unranked to start the season and haven't beaten a P5 team yet.  AU was very sloppy in the game on Sat.  If we play like that against PSU we will lose by at least 7.  Yes I know we had some non-O TDs and that is great, but you can't count on those in a big game like this.  Sat will point us in the direction of our team for the season.  If we can come out and run the ball to open up the pass, then we have a chance.  But I am still very curious how Nix is going to do on the road.  He has made some bad decisions in the past on the road.  

WDE!

We're going to find out in a hurry whether our 1st two games helped or hurt us in preparation for this season.  

21 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

We're going to find out in a hurry whether our 1st two games helped or hurt us in preparation for this season.  

Yeah I have been arguing (mostly for the sake of arguing) with some Bama fans that it was good to have 2 cupcakes at the start of the season so you can work out your kinks and see how your players do in games before you get into huge environment.  I think it is good in CBH case with whole new staff and new schemes.  I don't think it is something that is as necessary as the program progresses with that staff.

Reality is that it looks really good us breaking all these records but we are on week 3 and really don't know whether we have a decent team or not.  I am also not convinced that winning this week is going to tell us much.  PSU is very physical on their D and their DBs seem to be ball-hawks.  But their O seems lacking.  If we can move the ball on them then I will feel more comfortable for this year.  

• Like 2