SECW after 2 weeks

AUpreacherman22

My week 2 rankings on the SECW:

bama - blah, blah, blah, 😒 🙄🤮

Arky - best win in the league so far.  Pittman has got these dudes dialed in!!!

Ole Miss - Best offense in the conference, except now they’re playing D too!😮

AU (we’ll find out on Saturday if we’re any good yet)  Could move up or down this list after our first real test   

TA&M - very talented, but not very good so far.   We’ll see how they adapt with the new QB    

LSU - They’ve got a lot of talent, but not sure it will come together on the field this year   Coach O = CGC 

MSU - I have them last right now, but I like this team.   Their short/intermediate passing game scares me with our soft Secondary (all we’ve showed so far).  That could wind up being a long day.  And I’m going to be at that game, and ride home with, an MSU fan.  So we REALLY need to win that one!!!!

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

My week 2 rankings on the SECW:

bama - blah, blah, blah, 😒 🙄🤮

Arky - best win in the league so far.  Pittman has got these dudes dialed in!!!

Ole Miss - Best offense in the conference, except now they’re playing D too!😮

AU (we’ll find out on Saturday if we’re any good yet)  Could move up or down this list after our first real test   

TA&M - very talented, but not very good so far.   We’ll see how they adapt with the new QB    

LSU - They’ve got a lot of talent, but not sure it will come together on the field this year   Coach O = CGC 

MSU - I have them last right now, but I like this team.   Their short/intermediate passing game scares me with our soft Secondary (all we’ve showed so far).  That could wind up being a long day.  And I’m going to be at that game, and ride home with, an MSU fan.  So we REALLY need to win that one!!!!

What do you guys think?

Tough division, to be sure. Guess we’ll know more in a few weeks.

• Like 1

I got mocked for saying I thought that Arky would be tough. Pittman was the perfect hire for that program and he has two very good coordinators. SECW is shaping up tougher than many thought

• Like 7

It's crazy how it's played out so far. LSU and A&M were supposed to be 2a and 2b nipping at Bama's heels. While it could still happen, both are not looking good at all so far. Still too early, and we'll learn a lot more in the next couple of weeks, so too early for me to predict. This is the first year in a long time where the division is so wide open outside of Bama imo.

Usually Bama, LSU, AU, and A&M are 1-4 in some order and the Mississippi schools and Arky are 5-7 in some order. Legitimate arguments can be made that all three of the traditional bottom feeders are in the 2-4 spots right now. Despite looking lackluster, A&M and LSU are still insanely talented and won't go away. I think we are currently the biggest wildcard because of the new staff/systems and the fact that we haven't played anyone yet.

We'll learn a lot more in the next few weeks and a lot more about us next week. We may have the highest ceiling (besides Bama) and the lowest floor in the division. Looking forward to next Saturday night

• Like 2

Too early to know.
AU-Looks promising but we haven’t played a legit team yet. We’ll know more after Saturday night. 

Arky: The same Arky team that trailed Rice most of the game stomped Texas. Depth doesn’t appear great. 

Ole Miss: Is supposed to have a defense, but what caliber of offense have they played so far? Corral is good but people tend to forget his 14 interceptions last year. 

TAMU: lacks a quality QB but their defense is nasty and they have a strong quartet of offensive star power in A Smith, Spiller, Achane, and Weidermeyer

MS State: quality defenses are increasingly throttling Leach’s system. 

LSU: looked soft and unfocused vs UCLA, but we know the talent is there. Coach O has 9 lives but is doing his best to flame out. The AU game will likely determine his fate.

Final thought: last week FSU fans were thrilled with their team going into overtime with the mighty ND.  This week they were losing to Jax State and ND was fighting for their life vs Toledo. I’m afraid it’s going to be one of those years  

Oh, and Bama is still Bama. 😢

I think Ole Miss is #2. Yesterday was Arkansas super bowl, they'll come off that high.

Agree with is being unknown and fine with 3rd.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fredst said:

I got mocked for saying I thought that Arky would be tough. Pittman was the perfect hire for that program and he has two very good coordinators. SECW is shaping up tougher than many thought

Very interested to see if Arkansas is for real or this is just overrated TX dropping another easy game early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fredst said:

Pittman was a slam dunk hire

Ugh, the SEC west is killer. We have started very well but I am still concerned about our standing given that for possibly the next four years we have to play all of those plus Georgia, PLUS getting bafflingly bad luck out of conference (both regular season and postseason—if the bowl projections I’ve seen end up being accurate, we might get matched up AGAIN with a team with a better record than ours). And yeah, we still have work to do recruiting wise despite our progress.

Edited by AUwent

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ugh, the SEC west is killer. We have started very well but I am still concerned about our standing given that for possibly the next four years we have to play all of those plus Georgia, PLUS getting bafflingly bad luck out of conference (both regular season and postseason—if the bowl projections I’ve seen end up being accurate, we might get matched up AGAIN with a team with a better record than ours). And yeah, we still have work to do recruiting wise despite our progress.

Chicken little!!

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Chicken little!!

Indeed I am. But seriously, we're the only team who has to play six teams currently ranked, four in the top ten. And do you really think there's going to be a year going forward where that's not the case? We’re set to return just two starters on O next year. 23 might be it but I just know UCB will miraculously become a playoff contender in two years.

Keeping our attention on just this year, to try to embrace that smidgen of posibarner in me, I think 8-4 and then a bowl win, followed by a top 15 recruiting class is definitely conceivable. Not ready to predict that, but I could see it happening, and assuming competitive losses I think we would all be extremely happy with that scenario.

Edited by AUwent