Penn State fans are confident

Zeek

9 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

It's going to be a dope ass environment in Beaver Stadium Saturday night. I'm jealous that I can't make it. Don't even waste anymore of your time comparing it to anywhere else bc it's uniquely PSU and that's what makes it great. I'm glad the games will be played on campus, where cfb is meant to be played. 

Lord knows our fans can't color coordinate like you guys, lol. 

#CFBAF 

Let's get it trending lol

9 hours ago, PSUPat said:

For the band geek....

For everyone else, jump to 10:50.   You're welcome.  

Just a couple seasons ago our band hype video was the highlight of the pregame experience. Granted, our football team at the time had something to do with that...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just a couple seasons ago our band hype video was the highlight of the pregame experience. Granted, our football team at the time had something to do with that...

Wow, really good video and music.  I guess I've never seen that one.  Thx.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

College football is awesome.  That is all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

College football is awesome.  That is all.

I promise I'm not sharing this because it just happens to be set in our stadium. You might've seen it before. Just imagine this Brit at your White Out and it all works exactly the same. College football is awesome. Christahmighty is it Saturday night yet?!?!?!?

• Love 3

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just imagine this Brit at your White Out and it all works exactly the same. College football is awesome. Christahmighty is it Saturday night yet?!?!?!

That's cool.

I always imagine after a near apocalypse and mankind has recovered in like 10,000 years, some archeologist will stumble on video of major college football and report "this was the height of their society."  lol.  Stupid but awesome rituals held in great esteem.  We even have sacrifice (what do you call Alabama State?  And we got, hey, Villanova coming up).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They actually believe that a Whiteout game is louder than the Iron Bowl? Or The Swamp? Or Sanford Stadium? (But on par with Baton Rouge...)

I don't think they get how passionate the fan bases down here are. I think Happy Valley is *probably* on par with the tough venues in the SEC, but I just can't imagine the noise level being any more difficult there.

On that note, when are they scheduled to make the trip to Auburn? Wonder if any of those talking smack about their stadium will make the trip to see what ours is made of...

13 minutes ago, VaLion said:

lol, Burrow never even stepped on the field vs. Penn State at a whiteout to actually play.

Has anyone that experienced both come out and said Happy Valley was more difficult?

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

On that note, when are they scheduled to make the trip to Auburn? Wonder if any of those talking smack about their stadium will make the trip to see what ours is made of...

Next September

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Has anyone that experienced both come out and said Happy Valley was more difficult?

I posted this earlier but a I heard a quote today that reflects the futility of the discussion. ‘Once it is so loud you can’t hear, it can’t get louder.’ That can be said of several venues. What no one is talking about: for us, our players have to deal with the crowd noise which will require a monumental amount of focus to overcome. But for PSU players, they have to drown out the noise surrounding the white out and the theatrics and remember to block, tackle, and run. Noise or silence, that’s what the game comes down to. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

They actually believe that a Whiteout game is louder than the Iron Bowl? Or The Swamp? Or Sanford Stadium? (But on par with Baton Rouge...)

I don't think they get how passionate the fan bases down here are. I think Happy Valley is *probably* on par with the tough venues in the SEC, but I just can't imagine the noise level being any more difficult there.

Louder?   I dunno.   On par, absolutely.  We're scheduled to make the trip next fall.   Yes, hoping to come, as Auburn is one of the few SEC venues I haven't experienced.  

55 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yes.   But mostly media types, as not many (any?) players have experienced both.  Urban Meyer (coached at UF and OSU).  Kirk Herbreit.   Chris Fowler to name a few.  

Just now, PSUPat said:

Louder?   I dunno.   On par, absolutely.  We're scheduled to make the trip next fall.   Yes, hoping to come, as Auburn is one of the few SEC venues I haven't experienced.  

I don't doubt that it's the same type of atmosphere, but anyone who thinks it's more hostile than what Auburn sees year in and year out is crazy.

If you do make the trip, there are a couple of things you absolutely MUST do. You have to go to Momma Goldberg's on Donahue and Magnolia (the original site) and get one of their specialty sandwiches...I recommend the Momma's Love. You have to go to Toomer Drugs to get a cup of hand-squeezed lemonade. Hmm...there are at least a couple others I can't think of, but come back by here in the weeks leading up to the game, and we'll be able to give you direction.

1 minute ago, PSUPat said:

Yes.   But mostly media types, as not many (any?) players have experienced both.  Urban Meyer (coached at UF and OSU).  Kirk Herbreit.   Chris Fowler to name a few.  

Have those people said Penn State is a tougher place to play? Honest question, as I don't know. Meyer would be the only one that really has anything like a fair opinion, having experienced both atmospheres as an opponent during a game, but...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@PSUPat tell me more about "Grilled Stickies." Do I need to pack some Pepto?

I like how you’re one of those that plans your ailments out. I do that too. “Lemme just go ahead and grab some tums and sit em here beside my bow of chili and 12 pack of beer”.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Have those people said Penn State is a tougher place to play? Honest question, as I don't know. Meyer would be the only one that really has anything like a fair opinion, having experienced both atmospheres as an opponent during a game, but...

"I told [Penn State coach] James Franklin this: That became the most difficult place I've ever coached in my career," Meyer said on Big Ten Network.  

I mean, that [stadium] was as loud as I've ever heard, and we had street-fight games with them every game," Meyer said. "... In my mind, that is a 10-point differential when you play in that kind of game.

"That means you have to be on point. You remember the preparation days that drove you insane on Tuesday and Wednesday, to have that music and that jet engine blowing in your ear at practice, and you have to do it. But you can't make corrections at practice, so your coaching suffers that entire week."

All that said, Meyer said that as an ex coach on the Big Ten network.   He also was PSU's BIGGEST game every single year.   No, me personally am not saying it is louder/better than the biggest games in the biggest SEC venues.   Yes, you have seen it before.  But it is absolutely on that scale and in the same discussion.  The SEC isn't the only place with passionate fanbases.  You have a bunch of them, but not all of them.  

I'm a huge fan of college football, wherever its done well.  I can't wait to see Auburn and do it up good for us next year!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

"I told [Penn State coach] James Franklin this: That became the most difficult place I've ever coached in my career," Meyer said on Big Ten Network.  

I mean, that [stadium] was as loud as I've ever heard, and we had street-fight games with them every game," Meyer said. "... In my mind, that is a 10-point differential when you play in that kind of game.

"That means you have to be on point. You remember the preparation days that drove you insane on Tuesday and Wednesday, to have that music and that jet engine blowing in your ear at practice, and you have to do it. But you can't make corrections at practice, so your coaching suffers that entire week."

All that said, Meyer said that as an ex coach on the Big Ten network.   He also was PSU's BIGGEST game every single year.   No, me personally am not saying it is louder/better than the biggest games in the biggest SEC venues.   Yes, you have seen it before.  But it is absolutely on that scale and in the same discussion.  The SEC isn't the only place with passionate fanbases.  You have a bunch of them, but not all of them.  

I'm a huge fan of college football, wherever its done well.  I can't wait to see Auburn and do it up good for us next year!

It's difficult to argue with the SEC having more top teams, considering there are already 5 teams who have won a national title in the last quarter century in the conference, and we're about to add two more. The Big 10 is the only conference that was even close, with 3. 

Because of this fact, it makes the schedules more difficult in the SEC, and since iron sharpens iron, that often makes whatever team emerges as champion from the conference more ready to stand up against whatever the rest of the country has to throw at them. This, IMO, is what has given the SEC so much of an advantage in the playoffs/BCS title games.

But I certainly don't mean to throw shade on Penn State. There was a point made earlier that hits the nail on the head, IMO: if you can't hear, you can't hear, period. I think it's safe to say that both of our schools have a venue that can easily get that loud.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I like how you’re one of those that plans your ailments out. I do that too. “Lemme just go ahead and grab some tums and sit em here beside my bow of chili and 12 pack of beer”.

Gotta be prepared 🤣

• Haha 1

I’m sure that it will be fun, loud and insane. I’m also sure that Harsin, being the stickler for details that he is, will have our guys prepared. 

Congrats, in advance, to PSU for putting on a good show. It’s games like this that make college football so special!

In our division alone, we have @OSU, Michigan, @MSU.   And @Maryland is 2-0 and just beat WVU with a Tagovailoa as their QB.  Our crossover games this year are @Wisconsin and @Iowa.  With hosting Auburn OOC thrown on top for good measure.  

Thats not throwing any shade whatsoever at Auburns schedule, its a murderers row for sure and probably tougher than ours.   But its not like PSU's schedule isn't rough too.  

• Like 2

The schedule thingy has been the controversy every year. When the sec points out playing our schedule is to play 3-4 top 12 teams a year, and usually top 1-3 , every one cries bias. 

15 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

In our division alone, we have @OSU, Michigan, @MSU.   And @Maryland is 2-0 and just beat WVU with a Tagovailoa as their QB.  Our crossover games this year are @Wisconsin and @Iowa.  With hosting Auburn OOC thrown on top for good measure.  

Thats not throwing any shade whatsoever at Auburns schedule, its a murderers row for sure and probably tougher than ours.   But its not like PSU's schedule isn't rough too.  

That is thought sledding for sure. In the SEC West we draw Bama and LSU every year who have combined for 9 recent Natty’s. Then get UGA every year who is becoming a playoff fixture. Our recent OOC is a home and home with 2 time Nat’l Champ Clemson, 2 PAC 12 champs in Washington and Oregon, and now a home and home with PSU. Brutal. Puts gray hair on coaches and fans.