Penn State fans are confident

Zeek

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Cool for UM to say that. Shows much respect. Saban is 0-2 in his last 2 visits at Jordan-Hare and has said similar things about our stadium during the Iron Bowl. Florida’s Swamp and LSUs Death Valley are other terrific venues. Your ears ring for a week after playing there. 

That's cool.   I want to get to Jordan Hare.  Hope to make it next year.

I have experienced the Swamp and Death Valley (both of them, hehe).  They weren't rent-a-games but weren't their biggest either though, and I know how much a stadium can change depending on opponent.  

FYI, the Big House is quiet....  A lot has to do with architecture and thats just a bowl.   Outside of the SEC, VT, Wisconsin, the Shoe, and Iowa deserve some respect for their environments.   I've heard good things about Oregon too but haven't got there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PSUPat said:

Yeah, but its not like we do white outs against Ball St.   This would be like saying Auburn is "only" 8-8 against Alabama and whoever the best home opponent is in years where you play Alabama on the road.  Our record in away games against the same programs is considerably worse.   

Yeah, home field is an advantage at big programs in cfb.   Thats a surprise to nobody.  On a white out night its one of the biggest home field advantages that exist in cfb.  As recognized by media, coaches (like Urban Meyer, who says its the #1 home field advantage in cfb and worth about 10 points), and Vegas.  And having been to big SEC venues I'll say PSU, on select nights, is indeed crazier.  

We still recognize a football game has to be played on the field and Auburn is a worthy opponent.   If you spotted us 10 on a neutral field I wouldn't be comfortable.  I don't know anyone saying its an automatic W.  But, much rather have ya coming into this environment than us coming there.    You'd be favored if this were to be played at Auburn.

This is a high stakes game that is very valuable for both teams.

Appreciate your posts.

9 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

FYI, the Big House is quiet....  A lot has to do with architecture and thats just a bowl.   Outside of the SEC, VT, Wisconsin, the Shoe, and Iowa deserve some respect for their environments.   I've heard good things about Oregon too but haven't got there.

Another one that used to rock was Neyland stadium, but with Tennessee’s decline it hasn’t been itself in years. I’m sure you’re familiar with it, but if not look up the ‘Earthquake game’. AU was at LSU’s Death Valley in 1988 and they scored the go ahead TD in the final seconds. Their geology department registered an earthquake from the noise. As if that weren’t enough that loss cost us a shot at a Natty. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_Game

A nice shoutout to Jordan-Hare and the 2013 Iron Bowl  at the end of the article 

Edited by Gowebb11

7 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

I have experienced the Swamp and Death Valley (both of them, hehe).  They weren't rent-a-games but weren't their biggest either though, and I know how much a stadium can change depending on opponent.  

Not really sure, but I have read that Florida's stadium is particularly effective for focusing noise onto the field, due to it's architecture.

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m sure you’re familiar with it, but if not look up the ‘Earthquake game’. AU was at LSU in 1988 and they scored the go ahead TD in the final seconds. Their geology department registered an earthquake from the noise. As if that weren’t enough that loss cost us a shot at a Natty. 

Thats extremely common.   Most universities have geology departments, and thus seismographs around, and big time stadiums do show up.  

Then again, they are sensitive instruments.   You can't put them in cities or near roads because truck traffic, etc will ruin signal to noise ratios.  

We used to shut down the TEM (fancy microscope) at PSU because ground vibration made using it troublesome.  Like half a mile from the stadium.  

Lol I think this thread title could be changed to "Fans of both teams are confident".

Theres so many unknowns at this point, moreso than usual coming off whatever you want to call last year's season (at least in the B1G)...the only thing I'm confident in is that a football game will be played with two storied programs. Can't friggin wait...

Btw someone made this video 8 years ago and it still gives me chills

https://youtu.be/GBJajihV8cs

• Like 1

I was at the 17 UGA game when we destroyed them, 09 WV rain game and 2009 Iron Bowl. I think this game at PSU will be by far one of the best atmosphere's I've been in. Seeing the last white out vs. Michigan got me wanting to make the trip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PSUPat said:

Definitely come down next year. JHS is the most underrated hostile/loud environment in CFB. SEC CFB atmosphere is incredible. It will be similar to B1G atmosphere but hotter women and more bourbon. You will be welcomed with open arms. Southern hospitality is no joke. 

Got family in Central and Western PA.  Visit every 2 years like clockwork. I hereby promise you that when you see these Southern beauties, and the sheer neverending number of them, you will wonder what is in the water down here.   I am going walleye fishing in Cleveland and salmon fishing in upstate New York in 3 weeks. Trip I take often.  While there, I usually happen to see a pretty girl every now and then, but it’s amazing what we have here in the south. Now Wisconsin is impressive, and the only other state with consistently beautiful females, that I have seen, is —believe it or not—New Jersey. Loaded.  

8 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Got family in Central and Western PA.  Visit every 2 years like clockwork. I hereby promise you that when you see these Southern beauties, and the sheer neverending number of them, you will wonder what is in the water down here.   I am going walleye fishing in Cleveland and salmon fishing in upstate New York in 3 weeks. Trip I take often.  While there, I usually happen to see a pretty girl every now and then, but it’s amazing what we have here in the south. Now Wisconsin is impressive, and the only other state with consistently beautiful females, that I have seen, is —believe it or not—New Jersey. Loaded.  

Hey now.    Mississippi has some beautiful women also,  if you don't mind some extra weight and bad teeth.  :)

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Hey now.    Mississippi has some beautiful women also,  if you don't mind some extra weight and bad teeth.  :)

One thing about the deep deep south. Every state can make a hell of a case for having the most beautiful women. When I got to Auburn and really started to road trip to other SEC campuses for games or to visit high school friends, I'd leave every single one thinking they had the hottest girls on the planet. Mississippi is definitely in that conversation.

No need to discuss the other side of that coin...

• Like 2

Mississippi may be the winner, in fact.  All of the South has a far higher percentage of cute-to-gorgeous women than anywhere I’ve been, with the exception of New Jersey.  The Italian influence in Jersey produces an interesting group of beauties and lots of them. A little louder group to be sure, but you know that going in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Mississippi may be the winner, in fact.  All of the South has a far higher percentage of cute-to-gorgeous women than anywhere I’ve been, with the exception of New Jersey.  The Italian influence in Jersey produces an interesting group of beauties and lots of them. A little louder group to be sure, but you know that going in. 

Have only flown into Newark on my way into Manhattan, but you're not kidding about the Italian thing. Sure, the old buildings in Rome and the Amalfi Coast are nice to look at, but that country has scenery

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

There are some Twitter rumblings that the USC deal is becoming a distraction in Happy Valley. Supposedly students are organizing a protest at the game Saturday. Said they will wear orange and be quiet during the game.

First time poster, long time lurker.

I visited the Penn State campus when I was living in Central PA a couple of years ago. My in-laws (both Golden Eagle) stated that it was the most beautiful campus they have ever been to. I loved my time in PA- the people are great. Strong values and great families. Still have a lot of friends up there.

I remember the Capital One Bowl game when they had Larry Johnson (2003)... the PSU fans were some of the nicest I ever met from an opposing team (in case you wondered- I believe Wisconsin fans were the worst I ever encountered).

Now if you will allow me to geek out:

I did see an article that had Beaver Stadium as being the 3rd loudest stadium (by decibel count) in the country.

It was just behind Autzen Stadium in Oregon.

The number one spot went to Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

Source: https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/loudest-college-football-stadiums/

Another article had Beaver stadium measured at 122 Decibels

Tiger Stadium comes in at 130 Decibels

As a point of reference, a thunder clap comes in at 120 decibels. 130 decibels is the same as a Military jet aircraft take-off from aircraft carrier with afterburner at 50 ft.

At 150 Db, your ears rupture.

Beaver stadium will be loud, but will not be as loud as an Auburn/ LSU game (Earthquake game, anyone?)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It was just a joke.

I do understand it was a joke but I visited friends at Ole Miss and was truly mesmerized.  Had a week long business trip to Jackson once and got to drive around the state a bit. Saw plenty of the toothless variety and the chubby (to be diplomatic) but still a huge population of pretty country girls. God has blessed the South!!

5 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

First time poster, long time lurker.

I visited the Penn State campus when I was living in Central PA a couple of years ago. My in-laws (both Golden Eagle) stated that it was the most beautiful campus they have ever been to. I loved my time in PA- the people are great. Strong values and great families. Still have a lot of friends up there.

I remember the Capital One Bowl game when they had Larry Johnson (2003)... the PSU fans were some of the nicest I ever met from an opposing team (in case you wondered- I believe Wisconsin fans were the worst I ever encountered).

Now if you will allow me to geek out:

I did see an article that had Beaver Stadium as being the 3rd loudest stadium (by decibel count) in the country.

It was just behind Autzen Stadium in Oregon.

The number one spot went to Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

Source: https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/loudest-college-football-stadiums/

Another article had Beaver stadium measured at 122 Decibels

Tiger Stadium comes in at 130 Decibels

As a point of reference, a thunder clap comes in at 120 decibels. 130 decibels is the same as a Military jet aircraft take-off from aircraft carrier with afterburner at 50 ft.

At 150 Db, your ears rupture.

Beaver stadium will be loud, but will not be as loud as an Auburn/ LSU game (Earthquake game, anyone?)

Thanks for this. Gives context to the report I saw that Auburn has been practicing with 120 Db of sound piped in. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PSUPat said:

.....  As recognized by media, coaches (like Urban Meyer, who says its the #1 home field advantage in cfb and worth about 10 points), and Vegas.  And having been to big SEC venues I'll say PSU, on select nights, is indeed crazier.  

That'd be the same Urban Meyer who went 0-fer against Auburn? I think he's just trying to not give you any bulletin board material. 

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

That'd be the same Urban Meyer who went 0-fer against Auburn? I think he's just trying to not give you any bulletin board material. 

Was as a broadcaster for Fox.  It's been echoed by other media types too, such as Herbstreit.  

That said, I am in no way disparaging other venues or their atmospheres and I'm quite sure other coaches/ex coaches/media say nice things about them too.  I've been to a lot of stadiums, and a lot of Penn State games, and it's hard to compare because any stadium is so different based on time of day, level of opponent, how good the game turns out to be.  I mean, a noon game against Little Sisters of the Poor isn't going to compare to a closely fought night game against a national power.  Anywhere you go. 

The atmosphere at PSU when rocking is right up there in the same category as Baton Rouge and the Swamp at their best.  Big time football IS played in the South, but it's played elsewhere too.  That's all I'm saying.      

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

Was as a broadcaster for Fox.  It's been echoed by other media types too, such as Herbstreit.  

That said, I am in no way disparaging other venues or their atmospheres and I'm quite sure other coaches/ex coaches/media say nice things about them too.  I've been to a lot of stadiums, and a lot of Penn State games, and it's hard to compare because any stadium is so different based on time of day, level of opponent, how good the game turns out to be.  I mean, a noon game against Little Sisters of the Poor isn't going to compare to a closely fought night game against a national power.  Anywhere you go. 

The atmosphere at PSU when rocking is right up there in the same category as Baton Rouge and the Swamp at their best.  Big time football IS played in the South, but it's played elsewhere too.  That's all I'm saying.      

Some of us hear you.....while others aren't going to believe anything is better than the south, I'm sure you picked that up by the south has the most attractive women argument when it's subjective to what people consider attractive and that's a subjective argument based on a subjective target......

It's going to be loud and rocking and I'm happy about that....that's what the kids signed up for, but only to experience it at home but to play in games such as this. It's going to be fun.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2