Can Hunter get Auburn a three-peat?

Mikey

Auburn players Bo Nix (2019) and Tank Bigsby (2020) have given AU back to back freshman of the year awards. "After Bo Nix won the award in 2019, running back Tank Bigsby was named the conference’s top rookie Wednesday, as the 2020 All-SEC teams were unveiled" https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/auburn-all-sec-tank-bigsby-freshman-of-the-year-2020-157618590/

My opinion: I think Hunter is good enough to win the award. However, I don't think he'll get enough carries to get the recognition he'll need. Barring injury or illness to one of the others, Hunter is not going to pass Tank for RB #1 and Shivers will get some carries too. Still, a three-peat would be nice!

• Like 3

I think it’s fair to assume Auburn will average 30-40 carries a game. Let’s say 35. I don’t think this staff will run tank into the ground but use 2-3 backs with tank obviously still being the feature. 3 weeks ago I would’ve said tank 20, worm 10, hunter 5 per game on average. Now, I believe those last 2 could be swapped. If hunter gets 10 carries per the next 10 games, and if his per carry comes back down to earth somewhere around 5 yds, that would give him roughly 750 for the year which I would say would definitely have him in contention for the award. 

The important thing to me is that we’ve got a kid with freshman of the year type talent. Lack of touches will more than likely prevent actually receiving the award (which means Tank didn’t get hurt :) ) but just having him in the wings is super cool. At this rate, he’ll have his time to eat coming up soon. 

• Like 3

I think coming into this season, it would’ve made more sense to me for a receiver to be Auburn’s best chance at that. But between the dropsies and D-Rob’s emergence, I dunno now 

If all the burner games featured him performing like this, and they got up enough for him to be featured heavily on say SCar and MSU…maybe he’d have the numbers to have an argument. But as far as the stats, I doubt it 

Also the new UK QB has almost as high a QBR as Nix (who currently leads the conference) and UK is 2-0. So he’s almost certainly the favorite at this very moment 

edit: I was thinking Newcomer of the Year, not freshman 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby