Scouting report penn state highlights

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Are we saying Hunter is now QB#2 I don't get why our OL is so soft..

Worm not expected to be back in time for Penn State.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s an accident we had a completely different offensive mindset yesterday than we did against Akron. Harsin/Bobo purposely gave PSU a little film to occupy them with without giving away the farm, and then backed off yesterday. Obviously we’ve been working on some things specifically for this game and I fully expect to see us as open as we can get at this point in our development of the new system. I’m cautiously optimistic that we roll pretty good actually. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Worm not expected to be back in time for Penn State.

that sucks...hope you are wrong.

If so, Penn State just dodged  a bullet.  

I don't know what our secondary is doing today, but I hope they are watching Pittsburg play to see how to have active hands in zone play...

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Hopefully they think that too while getting punched in the mouth by hunter.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Are we saying Hunter is now QB#2 I don't get why our OL is so soft..

He's definitely not QB2 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

With the exception of Phillip Lutz.., our tight ends have been in witness protection since Terry Bowden used them to beat Florida at Florida Field in about 1994 with Patrick Nix as quarterback.  It would be fitting for Harsin to bring them out of moth balls for Bo to use this season.  Harsin is suppose to value tight ends and I hope he will use them wisely this year, especially in the PSU game.

Robert Johnson in the 2002 Iron Bowl says Hello.

• Like 3

I hope both lines and the secondary can bring an intensity we haven't seen in the patsies. Plus I already (wierdly) trust our staff that at worst we'll make them beat us and there'll be never a moment of looking stupid.  As a fan I have a kind of half-respect for teams like Penn St playing trash schedules coming up 10-2 in their absolute best seasons. But suddenly when you're boys are heading into their stadium, they represent the elite of the elite.

Hell no.

It's Penn State. 

• Like 1

In response to Eisenhower_1952, I don't mean to slight individual tight ends of the past. The point is that AU has over the past quarter century largely underutilized tight ends in the passing game, perhaps because they were needed to help the interior linemen block, especially in Gus' tenure. In contrast, UF, UA, and UGA, etc. have been very effective using tight ends in their passing games. I'd just like to see tight ends returned as an offensive weapon in the AU arsenal in my lifetime.  They can be a very valuable weapon when used properly and Harsin is ostensibly a proponent.

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'll do a more in-depth break down later but it really comes down to QB play. They will sell out to stop the run and blitz like crazy while trying to confuse Bo with fake blitzes and not knowing who drops back.

Their secondary doesn't look impressive and neither do their receivers (knocks on wood). Gotta shut down 21 and do a better job guarding those swing passes out of the backfield.

Can't let that QB have clean pockets like he did in this highlight. Honestly think Alabama State > Ball State lol. 

I thought the same thing. It will come down to who executes and who stops perimeter passes and rb screens. Both teams have shown a deficiency is guarding swing passes and outside plays. Only positive i look for in the run game is with a zine blocking scheme you let the rb pick the hole. Gonna need all three phases 

2 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

With the exception of Phillip Lutz.., our tight ends have been in witness protection since Terry Bowden used them to beat Florida at Florida Field in about 1994 with Patrick Nix as quarterback.  It would be fitting for Harsin to bring them out of moth balls for Bo to use this season.  Harsin is suppose to value tight ends and I hope he will use them wisely this year, especially in the PSU game.

Pft Tommy trot says hello on a seam down the middle for 20 yds once per game

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

Most of this...

The LBs can't cheat up to focus on the run if we run 2 TEs and  have check downs to the TE on every play.  They would have to play us honest.   We have shown enough passing strengths to get their attn.   I think we have to be successful on short and midfield completions to allow the RBs to be successful.  Penn St has not seen RBs like any of our three backs that will get carries.   TE play and our versatile backs are our strength vs their D I believe. 

I would put our D up against Wisc D in a heartbeat.  I saw that game too.    If Auburn scores 21, we win.    And I think we will, I predict the good guys win 28 - 17.  There is a chance we also open a can and win by 3 TDs.    The team responded to Harsin's challenge at half and our O made adjustments during the second quarter yesterday.   Gone are the days we have to wait until the half to 'figure out our adjustments'.  

I'm curious to see how we utilize the RBs in the passing game too. I think we may see more of that Saturday than we have been seeing. All 3 backs seem to be capable receivers out of the backfield.

• Like 1

Honestly think Alabama State > Ball State lol. 

In general, I have Penn State in the bucket of teams that play weak schedules, and are overrated and under-perform.  But Ball State unfortunately was actually a pretty good team last year. 7-1, borderline top 25.  No real comparison to the teams we have played.  Penn State has been tested and we haven't been. Still, I think we walk out with the win. There will be a large hostile crowd, but that is pretty much every road game in the SEC. We are used to it.  I think our O line will give us a little daylight which is all our backs need.  And the defense will stop Penn State's run.  As mentioned earlier, Nix has to hit some short/intermediate passes to keep Penn State honest, and he will do that.  Final score 30-21, Auburn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I would be incredibly surprised if he plays. Even if he's better by then they have to have so many practices before they can return to play. Just seems unlikely.

• Like 1

Still not sure how good our OL is but I would take the pressure by running cross blocking schemes if we are willing to line up under center.  In addition, we could slow their quickness down by running negative influence plays and misdirection.  They looked  pretty good in the pass rush dept.  Two and three step drops would get the ball out of our QBs hands fast.  Draw plays might slow pass rush down.  Defensively confuse the QB, make him go through reads at LOS and make him make poor decisions on plays.

• Like 1

A couple things I've seen so far out of the OL is they are moving their feet on their blocks...not leaning into their blocks, but moving their feet and trying to create some running lanes...Also I've seen some twists with our defensive front...the past all we did was 'bull' rush and couldn't get a lot of pressure on the QB...if you watch Penn State, they do a lot of stunts, twists and shifts at the line to try a confuse the line...we need to be ready for this...

• Like 3

• WarTiger changed the title to Scouting report penn state highlights

This team gets to experience their first good FBS opponent in a hostile and crazy white out environment. We will also get to see some of the good stuff on offense CBH has been holding in reserve. This game will get them ready for the SEC schedule. It doesn't get much better than this. I think we're ready, AU by 10.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Auhud08 makes my "underutilized tight end" point that Tommy Trot was hit .... on a seam down the middle for 20 yards "once per game".  I rest my case.

Buuuuuttt we coulda gone twice per game... kept them on their toes