Jarquez Hunter Appreciation Thread

Zeek

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

100m track state qualifier. 

Also square 600 lbs.

When he tweeted a video of him dunking a basketball in boots I knew he was legit lol. 

Let's talk about this:

1.   I knew he ran the 100m and was fast ON THE TRACK.

2.  I knew he was legendary in the weight room - that was also posted. 

3. I saw that too and was equally impressed.

Ok, I did not know  he was also fast on the field, in pads.   I saw his HUDL video prob 3 times and maybe I fell asleep, but I did not come away from that thinking he could run like that in the SEC and be so fast.    He really looks like Tre Mason 2.0  It is scary how he runs so hard.  I hope he doesn't tear something as he is dragging one guy and trucking another at the same time.   Bo was freaky strong and that attributed to how he got injured with the Raiders.   

Only thing to do is to get on the plane Friday and go watch the boys deliver the mail in Pennsylvania this weekend. 

I'd love to see Hunter and Tank in the same backfield this week. Some 2004 Ronnie/Caddy mix. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Runs so damn hard even his cleats can't handle it, sometimes. 

Yea, that's the 2nd time his shoe has come off during a run.  I have to wonder if it's the shoe quality or something else?

Tank and Hunter in my opinion have similar running styles. It's not the juke-juke (leg prominent) method that allows defensive pursuit to gain ground at the point of the tackle, but their style includes small shifts (shoulder prominent) while maintaining speed in their chosen direction. This makes a defensive pursuit to break down later in the tackling process and less likely to get a better tackle angle on the running back. With that, their biggest advantage is their visibility, quickness and speed in that order. 

Disclaimer: The above opinion is based on playing two bad opponents, but I hope the trend continues this weekend. 

Hunter has been a terrific addition. All teams need a minimum of 2 backs or more that can play at a high level. Both can catch the ball too. This is the first time we have had this in several years. We are lucky the staff scouted him at RB instead of at LB and that he came to AU. He was not an elite recruit and he didn't make a choice until the end of the recruiting process. It is soo cool when players like Hunter show out on the field well beyond their recruiting ranking, and especially great when they are only freshmen. and play for AU.

• Like 2

Jarquez is a perfect a perfect fit for Harsin. Of course we need to pull in our share of big time recruits, but Harsin is also making scouting and evals a priority, and Hunter is a perfect example imo. Under the radar and overlooked, but even though he's only played in two games, he's already outperformed the Auburn careers of past highly regarded RB recruits that never panned out. Major props to Caddy, Harsin, and Bobo on this one. A true joy to watch him play football

• Like 4

On 9/11/2021 at 7:50 PM, Zeek said:

17 carries, 258 yards, 2 TDs, and a reception for 14 yards.

3* from Mississippi, ranked as the 710th best player in his class, 44th ranked RB, and 12th best player in Mississippi. Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Mississippi State were the only other SEC teams to offer him.

While Hunter is doing his thing, here’s a quick look through two games at 2020 AU running backs that transferred, either giving up on Auburn, Coach Harsin, or themselves:

4* D. J. Williams:  0 carries for 0 yards. Recently promoted to third string

4* Harold Joiner: 3 carries for 12 yards. No receptions.

4* Mark-Antony Richards: 4 carries for 24 yards. No receptions.

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

15 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

While Hunter is doing his thing, here’s a quick look through two games at 2020 AU running backs that transferred, either giving up on Auburn, Coach Harsin, or themselves:

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

And people got mad at me for saying DJ Williams wasn’t an SEC back 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, auburndkel said:

What a petty, unnecessary, crap post this is. Quoting the entire creed only enhances the cringe. This is the worst kind of self-righteous crap that Auburn fans do. Especially in a thread meant to celebrate a current player.

Just for your edification, though, coaches encourage players to transfer all the time. That was probably the case with DJ Williams. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, auburndkel said:

This post was so unnecessary and Joiner has a concussion and has been held out

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I gotta' ask, where did  Lathe Kisser came from?  

Haha, it's been so long I forgot I had that on there.

You've never heard "the legend" of the midnight kiss at the lathe by Samford Hall?

I think it moved a time or two. 🤣

Edited by ValleyTiger

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Haha, it's been so long I forgot I had that on there.

You've never heard "the legend" of the midnight kiss at the lathe by Samford Hall?

I think it moved a time or two. 🤣

Been a fan and alum for over 36 years. I feel like a looser fan for not knowing. 

6 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Been a fan and alum for over 36 years. I feel like a looser fan for not knowing. 

Naw man, just one of those little bits about Auburn that not everyone hears.

5. The lathe
The lathe is a giant piece of machinery that sits beside Samford Hall. It was built in Selma during the Civil War to produce supplies for the Confederate army. They tried to move it to Columbus, Georgia to keep it from being captured by Union soldiers, but it was buried in Irondale, Alabama instead for a time. It eventually was moved to Columbus and used to make cannons, and after the war, it was used by the Birmingham Rolling Mills. In 1936, it was given to the college and placed in its current spot. Legend says that if an Auburn man is dating an Auburn woman he can bring her to the lathe and kiss her at midnight, and if the lathe quakes then she is not his true love.

LINK

I got a kick outta this blurb from our Corndog friends from andthevalleyshook.com:

1.) Auburn possesses a rather large lathe once used to make cannons during the Civil War. The campus legend surrounding the lathe is that, if it doesn't move as an Auburn man kisses a woman at midnight, then she is a true Auburn woman. Every time Auburn alumna (and girlfriend of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron) Katherine Webb walks near the lathe, it falls off of its base.

• Haha 2