Versatility and depth the keys for success

aubiefifty

Versatility and depth the keys for success for Auburn's edge position

ByJason Caldwell 15 hours ago

AUBURN, Alabama—When Auburn’s T.D. Moultry decided to return to the team for the 2021 season in an attempt to finish his playing days with the Tigers on a high note, he wasn’t sure what his role would be in Derek Mason’s defense or how he would be used. Following a full spring and preseason plus his first game experience in the new scheme, it’s safe to say that Moultry is more than pleased with how things have turned out so far with this defense and how it plays into the strengths of the players on the roster.

“It showed up in a scrimmage when I was supposed to go in a certain gap, but Coach said I can make those plays,” Moultry noted. “If I don’t get in the gap, just make the play so just like my high school coach, ‘just play football,’ and he tells me the same thing, ’T.D., just go play football.’ That means a lot when a coach tells you that as a player, just play football. You ain’t got much to think about, just play football.”

Making the play is something that Moultry did plenty of on Saturday night in the season opener against Akron when he finished tied for the team lead in tackles with seven while also adding a team-high three tackles for a loss.

Part of a deep and talented group of players at the edge position that includes Derick Hall, Romello Height as well as Northwestern transfer Eku Leota, Moultry led the way for Coach Bert Watts’ crew to finish with 17 tackles, a pair of sacks and five tackles for a loss.

It wasn’t just one player seeing action at a time either with Moultry and Hall getting the start together and two edge players on the field for a good portion of Auburn’s defensive snaps against the Zips.

Moultry said it’s that depth and ability to send different types of players at an offense that has him so excited about the group in 2021.

“It’s been really hard because of all of our different skill sets,” Moultry said. “It’s hard when you’re going to get a consistent player coming off the edge and just really willing to whoop somebody’s tail like an offensive tackle. Now that me and Derick and Leota and Romello get in there it’s the same thing so the rotation is different. It won’t go down. It’s going up.”

While Moultry and Hall got much of the attention following the opener, Moultry said everyone better be on the lookout for Height and what he can do on the field.

"He's really special," the Birmingham native said. "He has got speed off the edge. He has got a natural spin he can just hit you with--it's so fast. You think he's coming, then he'll hit you with it so fast. He is special, and he has got long arms. He is so fast off the edge. The tackle will bail out on him, then he'll hit you with a quick, long arm."

Height is a redshirt freshman for the Tigers, who is coming back from shoulder surgery that sidelined him in 2020. "There's a lot of stuff we all have to work on as a group, but Romello is really special as a player," Moultry declared.

With a strong performance to build on coming out of week one, Hall said for the guys up front the message is always the same. If the Tigers can force the opponent to be one-dimensional and then get after the quarterback and good things will happen.

“The first thing is you’ve got to stop the run to rush the passer,” he said. “I think we did really good at getting some run stops. Then when we got a chance to pin our ears back and rush the passer, I think keeping the edge and bringing edge pressure is very important.

“Keeping them in the pocket and let the guys in the middle work while we work. We work hand-in-hand. Bringing pressure off the edge is very beneficial. Those guys on the back doing their job by holding coverage enough for us to get home.”

8COMMENTS

Kickoff for Saturday’s game against Alabama State is scheduled for 11 a.m.  CDT at Jordan-Hare Stadium on the SEC Network.

• Thanks 1

A reflective T.D. Moultry finds new confidence at Auburn

AUBURN, Alabama — T.D. Moultry had never quite felt like himself at Auburn. The Birmingham native admitted as much. Still, when options arose for him to play elsewhere with his fifth and final year of college eligibility, the only option for Moultry was to return for one last ride with his teammates. "I don't see nowhere else for T.D. to play at," Moultry said when asked why he came back for his "super senior" season.

But the past couple seasons haven't sat right with Moultry. The former top-flight recruit from Auburn's 2017 class hadn't produced highly since his underclassman seasons. He'd been passed up on the depth chart by younger players and been pushed down in the defensive front's rotation.

With the guidance of Auburn's new coaching staff, however, Moultry is flourishing in 2021. He's a starter alongside Derick Hall at Auburn's edge rusher position. He tallied a career-high three tackles for loss in the team's season opener. Heading into Week 2's matchup with Alabama State (11 a.m. CST, SEC Network), he's one of two rotating team captains.

Moultry admitted he never had much faith in his own abilities. Now playing a new position for coordinator Derek Mason, he feels like a new man and a new player.

"I ain’t never seen it in myself, for real, and the confidence was never there," Moultry said Wednesday. "But now I’ve got the confidence and I believe I can do all the positions."

Fifty games into his Auburn career — the most on the Tigers' roster — last week was Moultry's first start. He expected to have jitters, but when he stepped on the field, he felt that confidence he'd been lacking. Moultry said he used to get anxious before games because he knew he hadn't practiced or prepared enough to effectively contribute for the defense.

"Years in the past, I was nervous the day before because I wasn’t prepared," Moultry said. "When I walked on the field, that’s when the nerves kicked in just a little bit — the day before the game, throughout before the game. It wasn’t any nervousness before I got on the field (on Saturday)."

Moultry attempted to manifest a bigger role for himself in his first few seasons. "I'm a walking millionaire," Moultry used to tell himself. But he admitted he never took the necessary steps to elevate his contributions to the team.

For Moultry, becoming a more well-rounded student-athlete has been gratifying. He now motivates himself with his grades, of which he's proud of how he's grown.

"I think it all started in the classroom, as well," Moultry said. "With the best athletes, it starts in class. Most definitely last year, I didn't have a great year, and I didn't have a great year in class, either. So I was just making sure that after this season, just make sure my grades got back to where they should have been. I had my best GPA last year after football season ended at 3.2. I think it started in the classroom."

Moultry is glad to see his lifestyle changes and offseason efforts pay off in Game 1, but he's nowhere near satisfied. He wants to be Auburn's best defensive lineman: "I'm a selfish player," he said. He wants to keep his grades high. He said he wants to be a captain for Auburn's other five home games, as well. Most of all, he wants to stay grounded and stay within himself.

"I am grateful for the attention right now, but I just know when things are good, things are good," Moultry said. "But when things are bad, people tend to talk about you and forget the person and player that you are. And I have to remember the person and player who I am today. I just can't forget what I am."

• Thanks 2