Three Playeres gained most stock

aubiefifty

Three Auburn football players that gained the most stock after Akron

Share this article

USATSI_16691022.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
September 7, 2021 7:00 am CT

Auburn had their way Saturday night.

Everything was clicking. Offensively, Auburn had their way in the ground game early, and then quickly opened the passing attack up. Defensively, Auburn held the Zips to essentially nothing for the majority of the game until a late touchdown and field goal in the fourth quarter prevented the Zips from getting shut out. Auburn’s faces of the program (Bo Nix, Tank Bigsby, Owen Pappoe) played well, but there were some sleepers on the depth chart that gained some stock after playing Akron.

Here are three players that gained stock after Auburn’s 60-10 win over the Akron Zips last weekend.

1. Jarquez Hunter

USATSI_16690689.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Hunter entered the game in the third quarter and still finished the night with 110 yards and one touchdown on nine carries. His blend of power and speed as a freshman was very intriguing to watch. He looked like a baby Nick Chubb. If Auburn keeps him healthy, he’s going to be a massive weapon in the future. Pay attention to no. 27.

2. Brodarius Hamm

19-Auburn-1.jpg

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Hamm was Auburn’s highest-graded offensive lineman on Saturday according to PFF. Auburn needs their o-line to continue to put out solid numbers in order for this passing game to continue to take steps forward.

3. TD Moultry

USATSI_16690022.jpg

Jake Crandall via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Moultry had an exceptional night. seven total tackles, three TFLs, and one sack. The Tigers have depth on that defensive line. Consistency from a guy like Moultry throughout the season would be welcomed.

• Lance Dawe

9f28e5d4b17d779bd81a7e747ed8d28f

Nobody lost on Saturday night except for Akron.

Maybe Alabama fans as well. Auburn is looking like the second-best team in the SEC West right now and that does not bode well for the Crimson Tide, who travel to Jordan-Hare at the end of the season.

Every player that touched the ball for Auburn looked fantastic Saturday night. Bo Nix, Tank Bigsby, Shaun Shivers, the receivers, and even the tight ends got involved. The defense was just as clean. No major mistakes, a great pass rush, and good sideline-to-sideline pass coverage.

Keeping that in mind, here are three “losers” from last nights dominating 60-10 performance over Akron

1. Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz

47c9543fbec7a7e75a43081247b16adc

Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz missed out. This Mike Bobo offense would have been absolutely perfect for them. Auburn's passing game would have been elevated to another level had Schwartz and Williams been able to stick around. It's sad to no longer see the duo in orange and blue.

2. Bo Nix's haters

1449dd83f7703dbd88e11d30590dd285

Yes, it was Akron, but Nix looked the most comfortable he's ever looked in-game. There's no way to criticize 20 for 22 and three touchdowns, regardless of the opponent. His completion percentage (91%) set a single-game Auburn record, previously held by Jarret Stidham (32 of 37 against Mercer in 2017). Obviously, Nix won't be able to have efficient stats as he did against Akron when SEC play hits. But he's now proven that he has the ability to be that kind of quarterback. I'm excited to see this passing offense continue to develop under Nix as the season progresses.

3. The rest of the SEC

7b8e6a16f9071697042477d77c835bd7

LSU lost to UCLA in embarrassing fashion. Texas A&M struggled to put Kent State away, with new Aggies QB Haynes King throwing three interceptions in the process. It took Arkansas three and a half quarters to pull away from Rice. Mississippi State was down 31-14 to Louisiana Tech and had to come back. Here's an overreaction for you. Auburn is the clear-cut second-best team in the SEC West. If Auburn's passing game steps up and the pass rush is as formidable as it was against Akron, watch out. Just a reminder that Auburn gets their two most difficult opponents in Georgia and Alabama at home.

Contact/Follow us @theauburnwire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion.

two articles for the price of one.............      
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Maybe because he was listed as a starter prior to the game he's not looked at as having much to gain, but based on how he was utilized the last 3 years, Shed stands out to me as one of the players gaining the most stock. I couldn't be happier for him either!

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Hydro-Logic said:

Maybe because he was listed as a starter prior to the game he's not looked at as having much to gain, but based on how he was utilized the last 3 years, Shed stands out to me as one of the players gaining the most stock. I couldn't be happier for him either!

Really hard to focus just on 3.  

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Really hard to focus just on 3.  

Absolutely, I don't disagree with the three listed at all, Shed just came to mind first.

7 minutes ago, Hydro-Logic said:

I've always been in on him as a guy who can be depended upon to do the less glamorous work the position entails but I agree, it was so good to see him actually get to make some big plays. That could be some man management on Harsin's part- reward that guy early when you have the chance to encourage continued hard work and attention to detail from the entire WR corps- but it sounds like Harsin really likes the kid and no reason not to believe he's still part of the blueprint going forward.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've always been in on him as a guy who can be depended upon to do the less glamorous work the position entails but I agree, it was so good to see him actually get to make some big plays. That could be some man management on Harsin's part- reward that guy early when you have the chance to encourage continued hard work and attention to detail from the entire WR corps- but it sounds like Harsin really likes the kid and no reason not to believe he's still part of the blueprint going forward.

I used to hate nobody ever talked about him being a wr. Every time he came up it was something about blocking....nobody is offering a wr a scholly for his blocking....and speaking of blocking good for Hamm jumping from shouldn't be playing to standing out from the group

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It'll be really awesome to watch week to week and see a competent coaching staff correctly utilize players like they haven't before. 

Shenker is gonna have more receptions than all TEs in the last 5 years 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

nobody is offering a wr a scholly for his blocking

Gus Malzahn hired as UCF football coach after Auburn firing

Also, he's Bo Jackson's nephew. I mean, if a guy was ever going to get a college scholarship as a WR even if he couldn't run routes and/or catch, it would be Bo Jackson's nephew getting an Auburn scholarship from Gus Malzahn. (Also, this was his offer list.)

That said, I personally have never thought of him as not being good enough to run routes and catch or anything like that. But when it comes to what would make him stand out from other receivers on our roster- he's been surrounded by tons of speed, athleticism and recruiting stars- it was more likely to be because of hard work and attention to detail than wow plays catching the ball. And now it looks like hard work and attention to detail might turn into wow plays catching the ball. I mean, that's how Jerry Rice became the GOAT, right? Wasn't because he was fast or highly recruited out of high school. Dude just put in the work. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus Malzahn hired as UCF football coach after Auburn firing

Also, he's Bo Jackson's nephew. I mean, if a guy was ever going to get a college scholarship as a WR even if he couldn't run routes and/or catch, it would be Bo Jackson's nephew getting an Auburn scholarship from Gus Malzahn. (Also, this was his offer list.)

That said, I personally have never thought of him as not being good enough to run routes and catch or anything like that. But when it comes to what would make him stand out from other receivers on our roster- he's been surrounded by tons of speed, athleticism and recruiting stars- it was more likely to be because of hard work and attention to detail than wow plays catching the ball. And now it looks like hard work and attention to detail might turn into wow plays catching the ball. I mean, that's how Jerry Rice became the GOAT, right? Wasn't because he was fast or highly recruited out of high school. Dude just put in the work. 

I feel like until Bo came along we as a fan base always equated since they weren't asked to do it or didn't play it obviously means that they can't perform. Like I said in another thread I hope people actually remember this and it's not just an exclusive thing just for one particular player. Everybody deserves a chance.

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

I feel like until Bo came along we as a fan base always equated since they weren't asked to do it or didn't play it obviously means that they can't perform. Like I said in another thread I hope people actually remember this and it's not just an exclusive thing just for one particular player. Everybody deserves a chance.

I don't see it that way. Maybe a few fans, maybe a few players that some fans just didn't like for whatever reason, but not overall IMO. I remember when folks wanted Mario Fannin to start over Ben Tate. I know a lot of us have been begging for Worm to get more carries and in more normal situations as opposed to just the gimmick plays. Every one of us except for the handful of Gus apologists have been screaming that the receivers and TEs can do more in the passing game than they've been allowed to do. In fact, one of the biggest knocks on the prior coach was that he didn't use the talent he had available correctly. Like, we were definitely complaining about the criminal under-usage of CJ Uzomah in real time. 

Of course, so much of this just points back to not having a normal football coach for so long. And hopefully even the folks who are more charitable can agree that the last decade was not "normal", even if they think it was overall "good". Just hard to paint a picture of the current state of the fan base when we've been arguing about an unusual, one-off product for years. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't see it that way. Maybe a few fans, maybe a few players that some fans just didn't like for whatever reason, but not overall IMO. I remember when folks wanted Mario Fannin to start over Ben Tate. I know a lot of us have been begging for Worm to get more carries and in more normal situations as opposed to just the gimmick plays. Every one of us except for the handful of Gus apologists have been screaming that the receivers and TEs can do more in the passing game than they've been allowed to do. In fact, one of the biggest knocks on the prior coach was that he didn't use the talent he had available correctly. Like, we were definitely complaining about the criminal under-usage of CJ Uzomah in real time. 

Of course, so much of this just points back to not having a normal football coach for so long. And hopefully even the folks who are more charitable can agree that the last decade was not "normal", even if they think it was overall "good". Just hard to paint a picture of the current state of the fan base when we've been arguing about an unusual, one-off product for years. 

I feel like damn near every position, we can recall multiple players pretty much getting a label as a bust or suck because they weren't playing. This guy can't throw, this guy is too little to be a back this guy can't catch, this guy can't run routes, this guy isn't tough enough.

Then it would go to wait for a guy to make one mistake then that proves that they obviously can't play. 

I've watched people argue and convince themselves the dumbest stuff to say I smell and see the smoke but there's no fire. Remember the we're not running good plays because we're saving them up? 

Just obvious stuff like why does this guy only run a streak all game. Then automatically he isn't good enough to be an all around wr. That's it. And once somebody say it then everybody runs with it......

That's how I see it at least

Agreed that just about everybody gained stock in this one. The ones i would call out most

Bo, Moultry, Shenker, Jackson, Fair, Harris, Hall. 

Fair did not have stats but he looked to be moving well out there to me. And we need him moving well in the games coming up. I think the rest are pretty obvious on why the call outs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I feel like damn near every position, we can recall multiple players pretty much getting a label as a bust or suck because they weren't playing. This guy can't throw, this guy is too little to be a back this guy can't catch, this guy can't run routes, this guy isn't tough enough.

Then it would go to wait for a guy to make one mistake then that proves that they obviously can't play. 

I've watched people argue and convince themselves the dumbest stuff to say I smell and see the smoke but there's no fire. Remember the we're not running good plays because we're saving them up? 

Just obvious stuff like why does this guy only run a streak all game. Then automatically he isn't good enough to be an all around wr. That's it. And once somebody say it then everybody runs with it......

I hear ya. Definitely some of that goes on. And I can imagine it was pretty loud in 2015. I just don't think it applies to most of the fanbase at this time. I could see it getting like that, though, if Harsin keeps winning games and building trust. 

@aubiefifty, just a thought, but it's kind of a bummer to read the first half of that article and then see the negative "loser" part. Maybe I'm soft but just wanted to throw it out there for consideration- maybe post that as a separate thread or not at all? Just seems like it's going to provide a lot of ammo for negative conversation in a thread that could be kept mostly for celebrating dudes doing well. (Might seem a bit hypocritical of me to some after the discourse this offseason, but that doesn't make me wrong, lol.)

16 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Agreed that just about everybody gained stock in this one. The ones i would call out most

Bo, Moultry, Shenker, Jackson, Fair, Harris, Hall. 

Fair did not have stats but he looked to be moving well out there to me. And we need him moving well in the games coming up. I think the rest are pretty obvious on why the call outs. 

Very true. I saw Fair pushing the middle of the line a lot which is what allowed our edge rushers to get so much pressure 

• Like 1

Good for Bro Hamm. I have had and still have my doubts on him as a tackle, but he played very well on Saturday. I think this staff will ease a lot of burden off him by using the TE's to help him on pass pro, which they did a few times on Saturday. Really helped keep the pocket cleaner. Also, Keiondre Jones just keeps developing into a stud. I'm no expert, but his technique looked a lot better on pass pro. Was already a mauler in the run game.

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Very true. I saw Fair pushing the middle of the line a lot which is what allowed our edge rushers to get so much pressure 

This is a big reason I am looking forward to a certain game this weekend. Fair couldn't break into the starting lineup but looked good for AU. I think our "friends" to the east will have a little harder time than they are expecting. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I hear ya. Definitely some of that goes on. And I can imagine it was pretty loud in 2015. I just don't think it applies to most of the fanbase at this time. I could see it getting like that, though, if Harsin keeps winning games and building trust. 

@aubiefifty, just a thought, but it's kind of a bummer to read the first half of that article and then see the negative "loser" part. Maybe I'm soft but just wanted to throw it out there for consideration- maybe post that as a separate thread or not at all? Just seems like it's going to provide a lot of ammo for negative conversation in a thread that could be kept mostly for celebrating dudes doing well. (Might seem a bit hypocritical of me to some after the discourse this offseason, but that doesn't make me wrong, lol.)

you are probably right but my take was the losers were the fans doubting bo and the kids should have waited to leave. it was less brutal than the other one so i added it.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you are probably right but my take was the losers were the fans doubting bo and the kids should have waited to leave. it was less brutal than the other one so i added it.

Cool. I agree that it wasn't that bad this week but that will change at some point.

But if you're thinking about it each week then I won't mention it again.  :thumbsup:

Just now, McLoofus said:

Cool. I agree that it wasn't that bad this week but that will change at some point.

But if you're thinking about it each week then I won't mention it again.  :thumbsup:

i just try to be fair and i might not post them anymore. i have never pour mouthed auburn and i dare anyone to show proof i did because it does not exist. if i post an article no one likes neg the hell out of it. it makes a wonderful reminder.lol

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

another thing is how many coaches out there are really fair? i am not downing coaches in general but they are human. they get mad and make bad decisions sometimes. cam got let go after a misunderstanding. and i heard coach b say it himself. it was a misunderstanding but he was still let go and they sure did not run snatch him back up. maybe i am missing something but that falls in my coaches are human and do screw up category. or maybe coach b was trying to make it look better than it does.

Edited by aubiefifty

• WarTiger changed the title to Three Playeres gained most stock
5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

another thing is how many coaches out there are really fair? i am not downing coaches in general but they are human. they get mad and make bad decisions sometimes. cam got let go after a misunderstanding. and i heard coach b say it himself. it was a misunderstanding but he was still let go and they sure did not run snatch him back up. maybe i am missing something but that falls in my coaches are human and do screw up category. or maybe coach b was trying to make it look better than it does.

How exactly did Coach Belichick screw up?

• Like 1