Shedrick Jackson

aubiefifty

Shedrick Jackson’s career game against Akron ‘a long time coming’

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
5-6 minutes

Shedrick Jackson vs. Akron

Auburn receiver Shedrick Jackson (11) runs after a catch during the Tigers' 60-10 win against Akron on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Shedrick Jackson waited for this moment.

The senior receiver has bided his time, battling injuries and the depth chart for the last three seasons, waiting for his opportunity to earn a featured role in Auburn’s passing game. It took longer than he hoped, but Saturday night in Auburn’s season opener against Akron, it finally arrived.

Jackson caught a career-high five passes for a team-high 79 yards during the Tigers’ 60-10 win against the Zips, leading the way for a revamped, relatively inexperienced and unproven receiving corps in its first game in a new offensive system.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Jackson said. “Just being set back by a bunch of injuries the past couple years and stuff like that. Just coming back here with full capacity and everything like that in the stadium, a new offense and a new coaching staff — it was a great time.”

It was the first time in Jackson’s 29 career games that he led Auburn in receiving, as he and quarterback Bo Nix found a rhythm right out of the gate on Saturday night. Jackson was on the receiving end of each of Nix’s first two passes against Akron, the first going for 7 yards on the third offensive snap of the game, as Auburn converted its first third-down attempt of the evening. That was followed by a 9-yarder two plays later that resulted in another first down and set up Tank Bigsby’s 32-yard touchdown run to open the scoring for the Tigers.

Bryan Harsin and Auburn defense vs. Akron

Jackson added three more receptions in the second quarter, including a 42-yarder to open up a drive in which the Tigers were backed up to their own 8-yard line. It was the longest reception of his career — even surpassing his best single-game yardage mark — and it sparked a six-play, 92-yard touchdown drive for Auburn.

Each of Jackson’s five receptions resulted in a first down, and his 79 receiving yards surpassed his season totals from 2018 and 2019 while coming up just shy of his 2020 receiving total (six catches for 84 yards).

“I was so happy because everyone knows Shed faced a lot of adversity since he’s been here with just injuries,” safety Smoke Monday said. “…It was just amazing to see him have that kind of game. And I know he had it in him the whole time; he just needed that one extra boost, and that’s what he got and went out and showed people he’s one of the best.”

That extra boost came after an offseason in which Auburn lost each of its top-three receivers from last season. Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove all left for the NFL after last season, leaving an opportunity for multiple receivers to step up into more prominent roles in the Tigers’ offense.

Jackson was the most veteran returning receiver on Auburn’s roster this offseason, but while he had 28 games and 11 career starts under his belt, he only boasted only 10 career catches for 130 yards and no touchdowns, as he was used more as a blocking receiver over the years. The Hoover native made the most of the opportunity in front of him, though, and despite being limited in spring with an undisclosed injury and missing some time due to a class scheduling conflict in the offseason, he earned one of the three starting receiver spots at the end of the preseason.

“I’ve always been impressed with Shedrick,” Auburn coach Bryan Harsin said. “I think he’s a leader. He has a level of maturity that makes him successful on and off the field, and we get to see that every single day. And I think he’ll continue. He’s one of those guys who will come to work every day and give you his very best. So, that consistency with him is really important.”

That consistency showed in the season-opening win, as Jackson caught all five of his targets and was one of nine different Tigers to record at least one reception against the Zips. He wasn’t on the receiving end of one of Nix’s three touchdown passes, and his first career score has still eluded him, but Jackson emerged as the No. 1 option in an offense that he said feels tailor-made for several of Auburn’s skill players.

It’s just about getting comfortable and making plays, which he did against Akron. Jackson’s breakout performance was worth the wait for the senior — and for his teammates.

“If you see a guy like that go out there and give it his all, that just makes everyone want to go out there and give it all,” Monday said. “My hat’s off to him. He’s a great player, I’ve seen him play in high school. We came in together, and I know he’s one of those guys that can change the offense.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our

• WarTiger changed the title to Shedrick Jackson

Archived