is this for real? espn week 1 rankings

aubiefifty

College football rankings: ESPN updates FPI Top 25 after Week 1Posted on 9/6/21 at 8:09 am
uArw.png1dArw.png2
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia
6. Texas A&M

7. Notre Dame
8. Texas
9.Florida
10. Auburn

11. Penn State
12. Miami
13. Michigan
14. Oregon
15. Iowa
16. LSU
17. Cincinnati
18. N.C. State
19. Iowa State
20. North Carolina
21. USC
22. Michigan State
23. Wisconsin
24. Ole Miss
25. Virginia Tech

some of those look weird. clemson ahead of ga after losing? and they have auburn at ten after being ranked in the thirties i believe? have i screwed up some how?

• aubiefifty changed the title to is this for real? espn week 1 rankings

41 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

some of those look weird. clemson ahead of ga after losing? and they have auburn at ten after being ranked in the thirties i believe? have i screwed up some how?

I don't think that list is legitimate. Somebody screwed up, but it probably wasn't you.

47 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:
College football rankings: ESPN updates FPI Top 25 after Week 1Posted on 9/6/21 at 8:09 am
uArw.png1dArw.png2
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia
6. Texas A&M

7. Notre Dame
8. Texas
9.Florida
10. Auburn

11. Penn State
12. Miami
13. Michigan
14. Oregon
15. Iowa
16. LSU
17. Cincinnati
18. N.C. State
19. Iowa State
20. North Carolina
21. USC
22. Michigan State
23. Wisconsin
24. Ole Miss
25. Virginia Tech

I believe that is their FPI rankings...not an actual top 25 in the normal sense. The fact that Clemson is still number 2 is baffling either way. I think it is accounting for what teams are projected to do the rest of the year IINM

Yeah, that list is definitely not accurate.  Clemson/uga being the most obvious!

It would not surprise me at all for them to move AU up a good bit in the next 2 weeks on their polls.   They want a “highly anticipated matchup” between 2 “highly ranked undefeated juggernauts” in Happy Valley on Sept. 18th.  

Hello! This is the Football Power Index (FPI) not a poll. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

Settle down.

However, Auburn will get a huge lift in polls (deserved or not) to TV market the PSU game and again to TV market the Georgia game. Says my crystal ball.

hell i will take a top ten in anything.........

8 hours ago, AUx said:

Hello! This is the Football Power Index (FPI) not a poll. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi

Settle down.

However, Auburn will get a huge lift in polls (deserved or not) to TV market the PSU game and again to TV market the Georgia game. Says my crystal ball.

I believe any increase is well deserved!!

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I believe any increase is well deserved!!

No dispute here. I just resent the ranking manipulation to suit broadcast schedules and keep prime markets engaged. It is ludicrous there is any ranking til at least a month has passed in the season and a team has played two in-conference games. But the e$pn business knows fan interest is stoked by rankings (they're excited to watch when they're atop the poll: they watch with righteous anger when they've been dropped disproportionately). Play like champions and don't lose, and it takes the argument out of their hands (hopefully).

13 minutes ago, AUx said:

It is ludicrous there is any ranking til at least a month has passed in the season and a team has played two in-conference games.

Ain't that the truth! There should be preseason "outlooks" or "prognostications" but rankings before a game is played absurd. Look at Auburn in 2010, 2013, and 2008 for example.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Ain't that the truth! There should be preseason "outlooks" or "prognostications" but rankings before a game is played absurd. Look at Auburn in 2010, 2013, and 2008 for example.

How the ESPN ad should go:

"Tune in on ABC this Saturday at 4:30 Eastern, 3:30 Central when unranked Alabama plays unranked Miami. We all know that at the start of the season, it doesn't matter what the team did last year unless it's Ohio state. We're starting from scratch for a whole new season. So who knows if either team is a titan or a train wreck. This has all the makings to be a battle of the ages, or maybe a hot mess. Please tune in to watch advertisements and listen to our inane conversation which also, is a lot of advertising and marketing. Oh, yeah. There's a football game between as-yet unranked teams in there somewhere, too. "

Archived