Is it too early to talk about Penn State?

tigerman1186

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

Guess they figure it's more entertaining to go to a game where the outcome isn't a sure thing. 🤢

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If they can kick PSU’s ass, I think the fanbase is gonna erupt. Harsin is gonna be Teflon for a while 

They better be careful for what they ask for … 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

They better be careful for what they ask for … 

I think they deserve to be the favorites. But this is a very…inspired? to outperform expectations team. The players have the make of a group that want to say “Auburn is back”. This is their first big time OOC road game in 7 years. They’ve been getting their ass embarrassed in big time OOC bowl games since 2014. Embarrassed by a Big 10 contemporary last bowl game. There is a bubbling hostility IMO. 
if I was playing Auburn, I would NOT want to give those gentlemen any fire. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If they can kick PSU’s ass, I think the fanbase is gonna erupt. Harsin is gonna be Teflon for a while 

No such thing as Teflon if you a HC in the SEC other than Saban. O won a championship in his first year with LSU, signed a new big contract, and 2 years later the fanbase wants him gone

As simple as this sounds, imo, it's going to come down to the o-line. If they can give Bo time and create some holes for Tank and Jarquez, I think we have a fantastic chance. If not, I fear we could see happy feet Bo and hero ball break out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

No such thing as Teflon if you a HC in the SEC other than Saban. O won a championship in his first year with LSU, signed a new big contract, and 2 years later the fanbase wants him gone

Eh

If you’re winning 2-3 games a year yeah. I think LSU clearly has higher expectations than the rest of the SEC sans Alabama though. All the guys who get fired early in this conference are getting beaten by 20 week in week out and losing 8+ games. We kept two guys for a combined 16 years who won a combined two conference titles since 2000 began. That’s as close to teflon as it gets on this level 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

It was actually his third full year.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:09 AM, Brad_ATX said:

UCLA wins the Pac 12 this year.  Easiest money I made yesterday was UCLA money line.

I'm not up on the PAC 12 but Oregon looked good beating Ohio State. There may be a couple of good teams this year in the PAC 12. Its still really early to know who is under and over rated but just saying.

The game boils down to our offensive line play and the passing of Bo...also must be strong on the D and be disruptive on the defensive LOS!!! 

I follow PSU for the last 20 years, as wife’s  family is from PA and her cousins graduated there. Post-Paterno,  Penn St is like Notre Dame.  Typically significantly higher rating than they deserve, IMO.  It’s a home game for them and that very certainly means something, but I don't think they are better than this AU squad. We will see on Saturday, but my gut says we are stronger and faster and more creative (finally) and less predictable (also finally).  The unforced errors against Alabama State has me worried, and the A State D-Line was nearly up to the task in the first half.  I don’t think Penn State has the creativity needed to throw us off form, with these coaches at the helm. (I also don’t think they have better athletes). They always seem so Iowa State-like, in terms of creativity.  But they usually beat who they are supposed to beat and yet rarely win the big games, at least post-Paterno.  Even in the Paterno days they won based on recruiting the best athletes in the Rust Belt.  3 yards and a cloud of dust was good enough, then. Lots of 17-14 and 14-10 wins. 

We will have a very good idea of what we have as a force, after this Saturday, but I see the Good Guys pulling away in the second half and winning by double digits.  I think Harsin prepares them for the fact that this game will be much different in terms of the athletes, versus games 1 and 2.  I think Coach Harsin can scheme, in the event our OL is out-manned. (PSU always seems to perform well in the trenches).  I love our DBs and RBs and our LBs,  and Nix is experienced. Great special teams execution and focus. Our DL I think can stand with most any team.  This is not going to be that same ultra-predictable game plan we have seen in the Gus years.  I understand the reasoning behind us being more-than-a-touchdown underdogs but I just think we are going to win by double digits.   But of course, in the words of Lee Corso, that’s why they play the game. Should be a good one on Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, I stated that I followed Penn State, but I have never liked them. I dislike them as much as I dislike Notre Dame and Ohio State. And I just couldn’t stand that little troll of a coach. I don’t really know why, as he was seemingly well-respected until The End. But I’ve always pulled against them, silently, and I would love to absolutely embarrass them on Saturday!   War Damn Eagle!

• Like 1

I think this is the perfect game for us to see the difference between the Harsin+ era and the Gus era. I think under Gus, we go in there with a bunch of good athletes and we trot out that same old playbook, limited everything, limited route tree, and we play, from sheer talent alone, a close game until the end and they beat us. And I don’t think that is going to be the case this time based solely on coaching. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Also, I stated that I followed Penn State, but I have never liked them. I dislike them as much as I dislike Notre Dame and Ohio State. And I just couldn’t stand that little troll of a coach. I don’t really know why, as he was seemingly well-respected until The End. But I’ve always pulled against them, silently, and I would love to absolutely embarrass them on Saturday!   War Damn Eagle!

Penn State is not so different from Auburn. Basically the Auburn of the North or Auburn is the Southern version of Penn State…it really makes a lot of sense to have them on our schedule.
Perhaps we can also schedule a future series with Michigan. We recently added Michigan to our 2022 gymnastics schedule (so maybe both ADs can work something out).

I am super excited and can’t wait till saturday… 

Damn. I mean, if we only had road experience that measured, I don’t know, on the Richter scale? Maybe we would be used to tough road games. 

Oh well. I guess we will see.

*ETA- Yes, I know the obvious. Just trying to….nevermind.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 10:08 PM, jAUSon said:

But mostly Penn st. 

What the Paterno’s have done for PSU is more off the field then on, they’ve set up scholarships for under privileged kids, basically built a library, etc. When we had a chance to get Sanderson for wrestling Joe basically forked over the money, so did the Buffalo Sabres owner. 

3 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I follow PSU for the last 20 years, as wife’s  family is from PA and her cousins graduated there. Post-Paterno,  Penn St is like Notre Dame.  Typically significantly higher rating than they deserve, IMO.  It’s a home game for them and that very certainly means something, but I don't think they are better than this AU squad. We will see on Saturday, but my gut says we are stronger and faster and more creative (finally) and less predictable (also finally).  The unforced errors against Alabama State has me worried, and the A State D-Line was nearly up to the task in the first half.  I don’t think Penn State has the creativity needed to throw us off form, with these coaches at the helm. (I also don’t think they have better athletes). They always seem so Iowa State-like, in terms of creativity.  But they usually beat who they are supposed to beat and yet rarely win the big games, at least post-Paterno.  Even in the Paterno days they won based on recruiting the best athletes in the Rust Belt.  3 yards and a cloud of dust was good enough, then. Lots of 17-14 and 14-10 wins. 

We will have a very good idea of what we have as a force, after this Saturday, but I see the Good Guys pulling away in the second half and winning by double digits.  I think Harsin prepares them for the fact that this game will be much different in terms of the athletes, versus games 1 and 2.  I think Coach Harsin can scheme, in the event our OL is out-manned. (PSU always seems to perform well in the trenches).  I love our DBs and RBs and our LBs,  and Nix is experienced. Great special teams execution and focus. Our DL I think can stand with most any team.  This is not going to be that same ultra-predictable game plan we have seen in the Gus years.  I understand the reasoning behind us being more-than-a-touchdown underdogs but I just think we are going to win by double digits.   But of course, in the words of Lee Corso, that’s why they play the game. Should be a good one on Saturday. 

Clifford is very experienced as well, he’s been through the wars as well as he’s a Cincinnati St. X kid that had to start as a sophomore both in HS and college. Led St.X to a title that season. 

RB room is loaded and we have two of the best WR’s in the country. Back 7 on defense is stout. Kicking game is subject. We have 4 scholarship kickers/punters and only use 1. 

It should be a good game…

On 9/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think they deserve to be the favorites. But this is a very…inspired? to outperform expectations team. The players have the make of a group that want to say “Auburn is back”. This is their first big time OOC road game in 7 years. They’ve been getting their ass embarrassed in big time OOC bowl games since 2014. Embarrassed by a Big 10 contemporary last bowl game. There is a bubbling hostility IMO. 
if I was playing Auburn, I would NOT want to give those gentlemen any fire. 

PSU has only amassed 60 points in their first two games. However that was against the number 12 team in the country and the defending MAC champs.