Is it too early to talk about Penn State?

tigerman1186

9 minutes ago, AUx said:

Yes but :) ...   I trust this staff a bit more than the prior that, if they don't yank the starter for unnecessarily scrambling a couple times, maybe they are accurately assessing risk of using the backup vs creating a 'teachable' moment for the starter. If QB is throwing to other team more often than our receivers, then I'd expect them to try something different before time expires.

You're right. We all hope a Jr. quarterback who has played his first two years would have less teachable moments vs. Fr. year. I like Harsin's approach on quarterback competition bringing out the best in the position and if Bo needs to sit out a few plays, not because of a couple of unnecessary scrambling moments, but because a quarter or half is falling apart I think it's a good thing. I imagine we will see more of Harsin's methodology, approach, and philosophy as the season continues and the level of competition increases. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we protect the ball and continue to avoid stupid procedure penalties I think, at worst, it's a stalemate battle like they had with Wisconsin with us coming out 7 or 10 points ahead. I wouldn't be totally surprised with us coming up a point short, but not from any gross ineptitude. If we continue to click (rushing, secondary defense, receiving and DL) but PSU doesn't, it's a decisive win by 14 that has the pendulum swinging way too far to the, "one miracle season on the way, next stop Natty!" And that's probably unrealistic. So, most definitely, you can bank on it being a Win, or a loss.

13 minutes ago, AUx said:

If we protect the ball and continue to avoid stupid procedure penalties I think, at worst, it's a stalemate battle like they had with Wisconsin with us coming out 7 or 10 points ahead. I wouldn't be totally surprised with us coming up a point short, but not from any gross ineptitude. If we continue to click (rushing, secondary defense, receiving and DL) but PSU doesn't, it's a decisive win by 14 that has the pendulum swinging way too far to the, "one miracle season on the way, next stop Natty!" And that's probably unrealistic. So, most definitely, you can bank on it being a Win, or a loss.

Boy, that is going out on a limb!!

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Boy, that is going out on a limb!!

With one data point it's unpredictable. But I feel (worth nothing) like it's going to be AU up by 20 at the half in a very quiet and unhappy valley, ending with >14 point margin of victory. No dumb luck required with us controlling our fate the entire game. Excluding all the wild cards from today's nonsensical, chaotic environment.

How does PSU prepare for the balance being demonstrated by the offense in its warm-up games? They can't predict exactly the personnel most likely to carry or receive. And PSU will get a (premature) poll bump this week that their staff and fans will want to 'not lose'. Psychologically, with Auburn playing to make a point and PSU playing not to lose, advantage is Auburn's. The next milestone I hope to see is Auburn continuing to be aggressive with a lead over peer talent till the final whistle. With at least some backups getting a few plays on PSU-type TV games, can you imaging the recruiting benefit?! Just need another 2 weeks of consistent development and unity. 

Wisky was able to run on Penn State and didn't have a back like Tank who could take it to the house.  Wisky has a good O-Line we might have a good O-line but we played Akron so it is hard to say. I also think we have more speed and quickness at WR then Wisky. Penn State only had 50 yards rushing and 250 yards passing their QB was sacked 2 times and hurried 2 times so was not under a lot of duress.  If our defense is near as good as it seems (again Akron). Then with a good O-line showing we could have a legitimate chance of beating Penn State.  That said this was their 1st game of the year against a tough opponent and they are playing at home. 

I watched most of the Penn State game if Bo can handle more pressure then he got from Akron and have tighter windows and ignore the crowd I am feeling that we have a good chance to pull off an upset.  Home field still make Penn State the favorite. I could change my view after next weeks game as Penn State is playing Ball State and if they have trouble with Ball State then I will put Auburn as better than 50/50 against Penn State.

2 hours ago, AUx said:

Lets see how well Penn State handles Ball State.  If they look similar to what they did against Wisky I agree we will win.  Wisky is a much tougher team then Akron so it is hard to judge how good we are.  If we win it may be more because Penn State isn't that good then that we have turned the Corner.  I was impressed as all get out by the Auburn win but I am trying to be realistic about it and not get over hyped that we took care of business against a less then stellar team.  After the Georgia game is when I think we will know if we have turned the corner or not for this year.

I do agree though that a win against Penn State at their home field should help us a lot with recruiting.

If you scared go to church.

Our boys will be ready and I expect a hard , earn victory. This is the game Nix will have to turn the corner and CBH coming out party. Let’s kill Alabama state and get ready to be ranked against them on prime time 

I'm not sure about most, but I'm looking forward to a top 10 match up vs UGA at home with GameDay in attendance 

I watched the whole game against Wisconsin.  It looked like Wisconsin was the better team but mistakes killed them.  Then again you have to give PSU credit that’s a tough place to play and they came out with the W.  The big win on the road is probably going to give PSU some momentum and the home field advantage is going to help them too.  It’s going to take a monumental effort and a clean game for Auburn to come out with a win but you knew that when they were scheduled.  

2 hours ago, AUx said:

With one data point it's unpredictable. But I feel (worth nothing) like it's going to be AU up by 20 at the half in a very quiet and unhappy valley, ending with >14 point margin of victory. No dumb luck required with us controlling our fate the entire game. Excluding all the wild cards from today's nonsensical, chaotic environment.

How does PSU prepare for the balance being demonstrated by the offense in its warm-up games? They can't predict exactly the personnel most likely to carry or receive. And PSU will get a (premature) poll bump this week that their staff and fans will want to 'not lose'. Psychologically, with Auburn playing to make a point and PSU playing not to lose, advantage is Auburn's. The next milestone I hope to see is Auburn continuing to be aggressive with a lead over peer talent till the final whistle. With at least some backups getting a few plays on PSU-type TV games, can you imaging the recruiting benefit?! Just need another 2 weeks of consistent development and unity. 

Now that is truly a limb.

Sean C throws a nice deep ball but other than that his passing is nothing to fear. Their defense is a beast. OL is going to have their work cut out. I feel really good about our chances. Defend the run and capitalize early on for the offense. We need to score early...get ahead and but Penn St in passing situations. If the game is 1 possession late into the 4th...that would concern me with that crowd and their defense. We need to strike early on offense.  

16 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

UCLA wins the Pac 12 this year.  Easiest money I made yesterday was UCLA money line.

You saw it, too, vs Hawaii? Ppl laughing at UCLA’s chances vs LSU didn’t really see what happened in the UCLA/Hawaii game.

3 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

You saw it, too, vs Hawaii? Ppl laughing at UCLA’s chances vs LSU didn’t really see what happened in the UCLA/Hawaii game.

Yes sir.  What's striking to me is the difference in OL play Kelly has now vs his time in Oregon.  His linemen are still nimble, but now are 30 pounds heavier.  Add a good Senior QB to the mix and boom, you have an offense that can go.

this is what i want for our boys when we go up for the white out.....................

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yes sir.  What's striking to me is the difference in OL play Kelly has now vs his time in Oregon.  His linemen are still nimble, but now are 30 pounds heavier.  Add a good Senior QB to the mix and boom, you have an offense that can go.

I have to admit, I did not put much credence in UCLA and the PAC 12. It surprised me how easily they controlled the game and the LOS. Maybe they make the playoffs and elevate the PAC 12 status. Good call taking UCLA.

I think we're going to use the tight ends to help the tackles to keep the pocket relatively clean, especially with the d-line they got. We did this a few times against Akron and it worked nicely. If Bo can handle more pressure and keep his feet set, I think we'll be ok. Bobo will need to dial up plays to get the ball out of his hand fast

i really dislike their coach. some of his boys gator aided him brushing his glasses and he left an interview to chase them down and he was pissed.

18 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yup.  It was striking how bad LSU looked on the lines.

and tackling

20 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I watched the whole game against Wisconsin.  It looked like Wisconsin was the better team but mistakes killed them.  Then again you have to give PSU credit that’s a tough place to play and they came out with the W.  The big win on the road is probably going to give PSU some momentum and the home field advantage is going to help them too.  It’s going to take a monumental effort and a clean game for Auburn to come out with a win but you knew that when they were scheduled.  

I agree 100% but from what I saw and I saw the whole game less 10-12 minutes.  The biggest difference is Auburn played so many formations and Wisc played boring, smashmouth football.   Auburn looked like they could run so many formations well.   We had 3 penalties - very few mistakes.   We had receivers catching so many different kind of passes and TE caught 5 (FIVE).  Auburn's tight end caught five ( I just had to type that see what it felt like, wow, nice). 

Bottomline:  I suspect if we pressure their suspect QB,  play mistake free on the O side, the O line just play decent, not great, just decent- we have enough playmakers to win in PA.  I think our secondary played poor at times against Akron and Mason should be able to clean that up.  

I honestly think we beat Penn State.   And I have a ticket!   I am quietly confident. 

Harsin won't be unprepared and won't let the players be unprepared for a big road game like we were vs UF a couple of years ago.  Boise played with poise vs FSU in Tallahassee and eventually won that game.  I know FSU is not the 2013 FSU, but you get my point. 

23 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I know we're suppose to take each game at their time, but what are your thoughts about PSU??? They look very stout up front and we haven't had much success against Big Ten schools in the past...hopefully the new coaching staff will have some better ideas than the past regime...

Didn't see much of the game but if we are willing to get under center we can run some cross blocking schemes on the line to neutralize the power and speed of their DL.  I also read that their QB was more accurate on throwing downfield so we should make him prove he can make the short throws.

It’s never too early for us as fans on a message board to talk about PSU.   

So, yeah!   First road game, hostile environment, against a top 10ish type team with a very good defense….. it will be a great test for our team before we start SEC play!  Win or lose, it will make our team better.   With that said, I like our chances!   Our D should do pretty well against their O.   Our O will throw a lot of different things at them and test their D.   I think we’ll be able to find a way to win.   Looking further ahead…..LSU looks more like the 2020 version than the 2019 version.   I think we break the curse of Tiger Stadium and we host uga as a 5-0 team!!!

Let's be honest.  We learned almost nothing about our OL from Akron, and the same may be true this weekend. I assume they have improved, but PSU will test that.

I expect a low scoring defensive game.  If it were at home, I'd like our chances.  Since it's not, I say PSU in a close one.

I hope I'm wrong.

Archived