2021 Bo Nix

WDE_OxPx_2010

29 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

So Palmer isn't being objective bc Bo is one of his clients?

There have been Palmer quotes going back a few years on how good Bo was going to between his Fr/Soph season and he wasn't good last year.

Before this season he said Nix was going to be the #1 overall pick in the 2022 draft.

Before last seaons he said "There are the two things I look at -- confidence and maturity -- before arm talent, before size, before any of that," Palmer says. Nix is "more confident and mature than most of the guys I've ever been around."

He's being paid by Bo Nix.  He has been for a few years.  It's OK to take it with a grain of salt and see his opinion might not be purely an objective stance on Nix.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Calm down buddy. I didn't call YOU ignorant, but your take on Palmer is bad. He’s a legit QB coach whether you want to admit that or not. His career as a player has nothing to do with that. George Whitfield Jr never had a stellar career as a QB either, but he's a well renowned QB coach.

BTW, Palmer only commented on Bo bc the fan question from the show was do you see Bo as a dark horse heisman candidate? He didn't just drag Bo into the conversation on his own just to talk about him.

So Palmer isn't being objective bc Bo is one of his clients? Ok. Outside of the Heisman crap that was led into by the question, then you tell me what analysis Palmer has offered that needs questioning.

BTW, this wasn't my "introduction into the discussion" I've actually been involved in the thread since very early on, before it was hijacked by 3 or 4 pages of nonsense. It's funny that you took that one post as I'm not being cordial, but I'll continue to call out BS when I see it. Thanks

Definitely not about to argue. No nobody is going to think it's objective to take a game against Akron to evaluate a guy to be the best football player in America. But more importantly there's nothing wrong with a person seeing all of these variables that could potentially influence the analysis and bringing it up. That's not an ignorant thing to do by the definition of ignorant. By the definition it's actually ignorant to not talk about those variables. You say outside of the heisman crap but that crap is the only thing that was being discussed. 

When you ask me Palmer can't be objective etc, even though I didn't say that what do you think. Do you think a guy is going to come on national TV and say a guy he's been working with isn't good? He was saying Bo was good before Harsin came, I don't think Bo's play before this year was very good. Not horrible either but point is he's going to say what he said no matter what.

Your next paragraph I'm talking about your introduction to him was saying what he said was ignorant.....so I'm saying that's why he replied to you the way he did. It's not you didn't call me you just called my thought ignorant. It's how you initiated the convo with him, most people would have a retort to that. Just as you ended your post saying what he said was bs....yeah that will usually spark a reaction and that's all I was talking about. All the other stuff I don't care about.

It's nothing to be upset or take personal though. Everything is cool

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There have been Palmer quotes going back a few years on how good Bo was going to between his Fr/Soph season and he wasn't good last year.

Before this season he said Nix was going to be the #1 overall pick in the 2022 draft.

Before last seaons he said "There are the two things I look at -- confidence and maturity -- before arm talent, before size, before any of that," Palmer says. Nix is "more confident and mature than most of the guys I've ever been around."

He's being paid by Bo Nix.  He has been for a few years.  It's OK to take it with a grain of salt and see his opinion might not be purely an objective stance on Nix.

I'm aware of his past comments and that Bo's a paid client. Doesn't change the fact that Palmer knows more what it takes for elite QB play and how to coach it out of people than most. 

I never said I was taking Palmer's opinion as gospel or buying into this Heisman talk, but to dismiss that guy as being nothing without his brother is simply misinformed.

Palmer also raved about JT Daniels and other clients in that interview. Those happen to be guys he has personal knowledge of and of course he's going to talk them up. I never was interested in the hyperbole, but the actual analysis.

Again, do you have something in particular in Palmer's analysis (outside of the Heisman blurbs) that you'd like to point out as inaccurate?

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Definitely not about to argue. No nobody is going to think it's objective to take a game against Akron to evaluate a guy to be the best football player in America. But more importantly there's nothing wrong with a person seeing all of these variables that could potentially influence the analysis and bringing it up. That's not an ignorant thing to do by the definition of ignorant. By the definition it's actually ignorant to not talk about those variables. You say outside of the heisman crap but that crap is the only thing that was being discussed. 

When you ask me Palmer can't be objective etc, even though I didn't say that what do you think. Do you think a guy is going to come on national TV and say a guy he's been working with isn't good? He was saying Bo was good before Harsin came, I don't think Bo's play before this year was very good. Not horrible either but point is he's going to say what he said no matter what.

Your next paragraph I'm talking about your introduction to him was saying what he said was ignorant.....so I'm saying that's why he replied to you the way he did. It's not you didn't call me you just called my thought ignorant. It's how you initiated the convo with him, most people would have a retort to that. Just as you ended your post saying what he said was bs....yeah that will usually spark a reaction and that's all I was talking about. All the other stuff I don't care about.

I'm fine with retorts and the back and forths. I'm not going to tip toe around my opinions just like you don't. 

BTW, I never once said I'm buying into Palmer's Heisman talk for Bo or any of his other guys, but the guy knows QBs and yeah I'll value his analysis. All the other talk is just noise.

Lol. It all depends on the QB, if he had said this about Mac Jones, a guy with the actual stats to back it up, he would’ve loss credibility all of a sudden. The guy has coached up some great QBs but he was most definitely hyping up Bo here. When you do that , yes people will question your credibility, even if you had success in the past. 

20 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I'm fine with retorts and the back and forths. I'm not going to tip toe around my opinions just like you don't. 

BTW, I never once said I'm buying into Palmer's Heisman talk for Bo or any of his other guys, but the guy knows QBs and yeah I'll value his analysis. All the other talk is just noise.

Cool. And you shouldn't, more people should be more like me 😂. Only thing I was pointing out is I can see why he replied the way he did. That's it. If you like dude nobody can tell you not to. Good stuff

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lol. It all depends on the QB, if he had said this about Mac Jones, a guy with the actual stats to back it up, he would’ve loss credibility all of a sudden. The guy has coached up some great QBs but he was most definitely hyping up Bo here. When you do that , yes people will question your credibility, even if you had success in the past. 

How dare you lead off a post with an LOL!! 🤣

If you listen to the whole interview, he's actually hyping up JT Daniels more than anyone. 

Anyway, I made a post about what I saw from Bo's mechanics so far if anyone wants to talk about that kinda stuff. 

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No nobody is going to think it's objective to take a game against Akron to evaluate a guy to be the best football player in America.

Before the season even started he said he'd be the #1 pick in the upcoming draft.  That's before even seeing him play in a live game.  He's doing nothing by hyping his client.

He might be right...but we're a long way from seeing anything tangible to logically predict the things he saying

5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

If you listen to the whole interview, he's actually hyping up JT Daniels more than anyone. 

Anyway, I made a post about what I saw from Bo's mechanics so far if anyone wants to talk about that kinda stuff. 

So again, someone with zero stats, yet he is hyping him up. That is how you lose credibility.

42 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Palmer also raved about JT Daniels and other clients in that interview. 

yeah, this....lol

42 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Again, do you have something in particular in Palmer's analysis (outside of the Heisman blurbs) that you'd like to point out as inaccurate?

JT is another paid client.  Guy looked awful and had a YPA below 5...it was near 4.  He's hyping his clients.

Look, I agree Bo looked better.  It's exciting to see...but Palmer didn't really say anything ground breaking...

Yes, Bo is an elite athlete.  I agree and have said it here.  Yes, Gus' offense was trash.  We all agree.

So the discussion is really what is s "Massive Season".  I'm not sure.  I think Bo will have a good season, but until we throw out actual numbers we're really just talking semantics

“I’ve been around Bo a lot the last couple offseasons,” Palmer said on The JBoy Show. “Coming out of high school, Bo was among the best dual-threat quarterbacks. He lost at The Elite 11 Finals to Spencer Rattler. He was right there as one of the best quarterbacks in the country. I don’t think what people recognize is that his freshman year, his strength coach told me he was the top-5 fastest guys on the team in a 10-yard split. So what we haven’t seen from Bo Nix yet is just how electric he is as a runner.

“It’s because I think in that previous offense and system with Gus Malzahn — and they’ve had a lot of success there — I don’t think Bo was able to establish himself as a “pass first and then run” which is when the opportunities can present themselves and you can get in the open space. Designed runs can work but you’re also funneling the defense toward the run. It’s when everyone else is going vertical and the quarterback decides to take off that you see big runs. I think you’ll see more of those from Bo and see how athletic he is.”

Palmer also predicted that Nix will take a big step forward, adding that the Auburn QB is a future NFL quarterback:

“I think we’ll see a massive massive step for Bo Nix,” Palmer said. “He’s played two seasons. This dude is all ball. He’s an NFL quarterback for sure. He’s just continuing to develop.”

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

As far as his mechanics and stuff....you know I'm so called Bo hater to many, but just like I said during spring game I don't think this really shows anything because he didn't have pressure applied to him. Can't tell if he was more disciplined or not. Also I want to see if he's able to zip passes through a window and throw guys open. Lobbing balls up doesn't tell me anything one way or the other.

That's my opinion

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

So again, someone with zero stats, yet he is hyping him up. That is how you lose credibility.

Lose credibility as far as making predictions, but not as a QB coach teaching fundamentals and the cerebral side. Agreed.

I don't even care about Palmer really, he's just a piece of the conversation that all started bc I disagreed with a guy that discredited him without substance.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

If Einstein said, "goldfish are secretly plotting to destabilize the middle east in an attempt to keep the power of OPEC from being manipulated by cats", then that's an ignorant statement.  That doesn't mean Einstein is ignorant.

With the qualifier proposed by CBO, they can still have a productive conversation with the understanding that he wasn't being called ignorant.

You go from a dead end conversation to an open conversation. That's what changes with understanding the difference.

I get your point. I try to be specific with language on here and it's a worthwhile distinction. However, it doesn't change that the tone of the comment was needlessly abrasive. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I feel that. I'm just saying it was really just about being cordial that's all. Cbo disagrees with me plenty of times, he's actually similar to Hank. Very even keeled, I think he just didn't like the abrasive nature in the introduction. Knowing him I'm sure he was fine right after he expressed himself. He probably had moved on. 

Thank you. This is all completely accurate. 

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as his mechanics and stuff....you know I'm so called Bo hater to many, but just like I said during spring game I don't think this really shows anything because he didn't have pressure applied to him. Can't tell if he was more disciplined or not. Also I want to see if he's able to zip passes through a window and throw guys open. Lobbing balls up doesn't tell me anything one way or the other.

That's my opinion

Ok, but even the small details like him keeping his non-throwing arm pinned and the shoulders on plane and hip rotation those are signs of improvement. 

I agree that it'll be a different animal when the pressure and adversity comes. Do the improved fundamentals break down then? We'll see, but we only got what we got right now to analyze. I want to talk actual ball....plays, fundamentals, etc. All of the other talk about stats and who's better or best is a non-starter to me.

8 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Lose credibility as far as making predictions, but not as a QB coach teaching fundamentals and the cerebral side. Agreed.

I don't even care about Palmer really, he's just a piece of the conversation that all started bc I disagreed with a guy that discredited him without substance.

It's not really without substance though, he's saying what mostly everybody will say, he can't tell that from a game against Akron

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Calm down buddy. I didn't call YOU ignorant, but your take on Palmer is bad. He’s a legit QB coach whether you want to admit that or not. His career as a player has nothing to do with that. George Whitfield Jr never had a stellar career as a QB either, but he's a well renowned QB coach.

BTW, Palmer only commented on Bo bc the fan question from the show was do you see Bo as a dark horse heisman candidate? He didn't just drag Bo into the conversation on his own just to talk about him.

So Palmer isn't being objective bc Bo is one of his clients? Ok. Outside of the Heisman crap that was led into by the question, then you tell me what analysis Palmer has offered that needs questioning.

BTW, this wasn't my "introduction into the discussion" I've actually been involved in the thread since very early on, before it was hijacked by 3 or 4 pages of nonsense. It's funny that you took that one post as I'm not being cordial, but I'll continue to call out BS when I see it. Thanks

I'm calm. And you're right that playing career has nothing to do with coaching ability. That was a bad and irrelevant statement on my part. 

I don't agree with anything else you said here, but that's fine. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

It's not really without substance though, he's saying what mostly everybody will say, he can't tell that from a game against Akron

Naw, naw. I'm talking about him discrediting the guy bc he wasn't a success in the NFL and living only under his brother's shadow stuff. That's it, that's my initial point to all of this.

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Ok, but even the small details like him keeping his non-throwing arm pinned and the shoulders on plane and hip rotation those are signs of improvement. 

I agree that it'll be a different animal when the pressure and adversity comes. Do the improved fundamentals break down then? We'll see, but we only got what we got right now to analyze. I want to talk actual ball....plays, fundamentals, etc. All of the other talk about stats and who's better or best is a non-starter to me.

Then why are you even in this discussion? I agree that Bo has showed vast improvement for the simple fact he is actually showing to be fundamentally sound but the fact still remains, we do not know how he actually has progressed until then which is why it is laughable to even suggest he is top tier QB.

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

yeah, this....lol

JT is another paid client.  Guy looked awful and had a YPA below 5...it was near 4.  He's hyping his clients.

Look, I agree Bo looked better.  It's exciting to see...but Palmer didn't really say anything ground breaking...

Yes, Bo is an elite athlete.  I agree and have said it here.  Yes, Gus' offense was trash.  We all agree.

So the discussion is really what is s "Massive Season".  I'm not sure.  I think Bo will have a good season, but until we throw out actual numbers we're really just talking semantics

That's the thing. Palmer really didn't offer much analysis to discuss. We definitely wouldn't be talking about it if not for the Heisman thing. And call him a "for sure" NFL quarterback is also a stretch right now. 

Just now, cole256 said:

Oh he's here. I guess I can stop speaking for him now😂 I just knew what he was saying. But I'm out!

Haha, appreciate it Cole. It's good to know someone understands your point. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Then why are you even in this discussion? I agree that Bo has showed vast improvement for the simple fact he is actually showing to be fundamentally sound but the fact still remains, we do not know how he actually has progressed until then which is why it is laughable to even suggest he is top tier QB.

Why am I in the discussion? It's open, is it not? I happen to be able to digest and analyze Bo's play, too, if you haven't noticed. Did anyone else even bring up actual differences in his mechanics? 

21 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Why am I in the discussion? It's open, is it not? I happen to be able to digest and analyze Bo's play, too, if you haven't noticed. Did anyone else even bring up actual differences in his mechanics? 

You digest and analyzed his play against Akron. We are trying to analyze his future play. That is the 1 million dollar question. Yes, he looks great against trash opponents. That was never the concern. But you don't care about that because it hasn't happened. So again, why are you in the discussion again?

Archived