'it was kind of like game day'

aubiefifty

USA TODAY Sports

When Auburn quarterback Bo Nix woke up to propose, 'it was kind of like game day'

Bennett Durando, Montgomery Advertiser
Tue, August 31, 2021, 12:18 PM

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn football's first game day of 2021 is four nights away, and it will bring extra nerves this year as players readjust to the pressure and environment of a packed stadium after 2020's attendance constraints.

Fortunately for quarterback Bo Nix, he feels better prepared thanks to a recent rehearsal for game-day butterflies in his personal life: proposing.

Nix and his girlfriend got engaged on July 30, and much like Auburn's upcoming season opener against Akron, the big moment happened at Jordan-Hare Stadium. (It was empty for this occasion, though.)

"You know, I woke up kind of like it was game day," Nix said. "Similar feel to it. A lot at stake. A lot of preparation that went into it. But I was more comfortable proposing than probably on game day, because (in a game) there's so much on the opposing side that can go wrong. A lot of things that they can do. But I was confident in her answer."

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix (10) looks for an open receiver during the first half of the team's NCAA college football game against Mississippi State on Saturday, Dec. 12, 2020, in Starkville, Miss. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Deadpan humor aside, the quarterback said Auburn has been antsy to play a game and excited be greeted by the fans at Jordan-Hare on Saturday.

"We're excited to be in front of a large crowd again," Nix said. "I think that's the most important part, just the atmosphere. We'll be back to how college football is supposed to be."

The junior described the "flow of practice" and the ideas in practice as the biggest difference between first-year coach Bryan Harsin and former coach Gus Malzahn.

"The vibe around the team is extremely positive," Nix said. "We're really tired of hitting each other and playing against each other in practice every day. But that's how it should be, because that means the other team is pushing you and the other side of the ball is making you better."

Oh, and she said yes.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Auburn QB Bo Nix on similarities between football game day, proposing

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our

Archived