Official Week 1 Depth Chart

McLoofus

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

And if that's what lures the recruits in, then I'm good. There's just people making it sound like we have to do what CTB or CGM did to draw the recruits.

So, my signature stands.

@au302: Maybe I am wrong. My thinking was that it's a "we might as well" scenario. Our expectations for this year are pretty low even with all those seniors--a look at that depth chart and you'd think this would be a classic Auburn dark horse year. I WAS NOT saying that having a worse record will make the recruits come. As long as displaying a tough, disciplined brand of football gets them to come, if our win total prospects this year are muted, then I wasn't seeing much that could be sacrificed.

You think this is the NFL? We might as well what? Just because you have low expectations, we should play the young guys? Your message doesn't''t make sense. Play to win the game and put the best people out there regardless of classification.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, au302 said:

Another thing that caught my eye is that they removed Shivers from kicks. Very surprising but a good move imo

AND I hope it stays that way. There should be no reason for not finding someone else capable of taking the kicks off

Shivers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You think this is the NFL? We might as well what? Just because you have low expectations, we should play the young guys? Your message doesn't''t make sense. Play to win the game and put the best people out there regardless of classification.

We might as well give people experience so that we have more experienced players next year, if 6-7 wins is what we're expecting. Once again, I DO NOT THINK that doing worse means you will get better recruits! But I don't think winning 6-7 games is going to impress them anyway, unless we clearly play tough and disciplined like in '81.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

We might as well give people experience so that we have more experienced players next year.

even if they are not the best player? Again, this is not the NFL. There is literally zero benefit to not playing the best and trying to win every game.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 4:47 PM, cole256 said:

There are plenty of wr 's that ran 4.5/4.6's that have been very productive. That's the point though you have to be taught the advanced techniques to be that, which I guys didn't get. That's what the coaches are supposed to do, they aren't there to teach how to catch. People already know how to do that. 

Yet alone just putting a guy out there to do the same exact thing all the time justmakes it even more easy to cover you. It puts you at a disadvantage. And no coach is putting a guy in the position to make people miss a bunch and you're not athletic. You're in that position because you are viewed as the best guy that can turn little gains into big gains.

I just hope we do not hear that "it's been a good week of practice"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

even if they are not the best player? Again, this is not the NFL. There is literally zero benefit to not playing the best and trying to win every game.

Maybe. What I'm dreading is the thought of it taking till year FIVE to reach even 9 wins--we seem to be in a spot where we're not going to be able to actually start "rebuilding" until next year. And if a top 20 class is all we can hope for this year, then that's how long it would take to get an elite recruiting class and THEN get them experience. I still think year three is when we should shoot for 9, with year five being 10, but maybe those are too unreasonable expectations? This is why I'm trying to figure out what people's expectations are long term, dadgumit! If we're in the process of a rebuild I would just like to set a year to look forward to!

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Maybe. What I'm dreading is the thought of it taking till year FIVE to reach even 9 wins--we seem to be in a spot where we're not going to be able to actually start "rebuilding" until next year. And if a top 20 class is all we can hope for this year, then that's how long it would take to get an elite recruiting class and THEN get them experience. I still think year three is when we should shoot for 9, with year five being 10, but maybe those are too unreasonable expectations? This is why I'm trying to figure out what people's expectations are long term, dadgumit! If we're in the process of a rebuild I would just like to set a year to look forward to!

2 things:

*AU rebounds fast. The last 4 AU coaches (Bowden, Tubs, Chiz, Gus) had an undefeated season and/or competed for an SEC or Natty by year two. And in Dye’s third year he went 11-1. 

*Fisher inherited a very similar situation at TAMU that Harsin is inheriting at AU. Year 3 he had a Top 5 finish. 

I expect our Tigers to maintain that trajectory and tradition. Sooner rather than later. WDE 🦅 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

It’s interesting you say that . I am honestly afraid of the opposite . Getting success in early on and unable to sustain it as we are so use to seeing from the past two coaches we had. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

Some notes about the depth chart and other notes

D. Miller is repping mostly with scout team. Seems to not have picked up the playbook very well and is struggling with the school aspect of things as well.

The main reason the depth chart was put out the way it was (4-3) with Wooten as the star was so Wooten could be listed as a starter since he is a captain.

We will primarily be in a 3-4 with two Edge guys and those first two are D. Hall and TD Moultry with Eku Leota, Romello Height and Dylan Brooks battling out for back up

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

Maybe this will help. You think by not playing the best players now mean that in the future the team will be better from that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Maybe this will help. You think by not playing the best players now mean that in the future the team will be better from that?

Okay, fine, we should play our best players. I’m just a bit frustrated that they so happen to be seniors. When you have a bunch of youngins that are your best players, you can tel that the future is bright. 2007 Florida is my all time favorite game in part because it was won with a very young team. How many key contributors that night went on to help win us the BCSNC?

From what I can tell, we were pretty young in 1981 as well. Obviously we improved pretty darn quickly after that. Being in a situation where you’re rebuilding but all your players are seniors shows that the rebuild will last a while.

Edited by AUwent

41 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Okay, fine, we should play our best players. I’m just a bit frustrated that they so happen to be seniors. When you have a bunch of youngins that are your best players, you can tel that the future is bright. 2007 Florida is my all time favorite game in part because it was won with a very young team. How many key contributors that night went on to help win us the BCSNC?

From what I can tell, we were pretty young in 1981 as well. Obviously we improved pretty darn quickly after that. Being in a situation where you’re rebuilding but all your players are seniors shows that the rebuild will last a while.

Ok. But what do you want Harsin to do? He came in and the roster is the roster

• Like 2