Official Week 1 Depth Chart

McLoofus

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I rest my case as to why I'm not pleased at the number of seniors we're starting. Before I read the depth chart I would've been quite happy with 7-5 and then a bowl win, with the losses being close (followed by a top 20 recruiting class).

I don't think you realize what you are saying isn't making too much sense

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think you realize what you are saying isn't making too much sense

HOW does it not make sense? Most people have low expectations for this year and are viewing it as a building year. So, if we don't expect to win 9 games (counting bowl) can we NOT be in a situation where the next year will be even tougher?

Just now, AUwent said:

HOW does it not make sense? Most people have low expectations for this year and are viewing it as a building year. So, if we don't expect to win 9 games (counting bowl) can we NOT be in a situation where the next year will be even tougher?

Who cares what people think. You think the team would be cool with guys sitting because they are seniors and guys not as good playing? You think the team will play hard for that? And what about the juniors? What do they think are going to happen to them? What would any guy on the team think? Are you even thinking at all?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Who cares what people think. You think the team would be cool with guys sitting because they are seniors and guys not as good playing? You think the team will play hard for that? And what about the juniors? What do they think are going to happen to them? What would any guy on the team think? Are you even thinking at all?

Fair. But in that case, we shouldn't be having this "I just want to be competitive" mentality. As you can tell by my sig my (counting bowl) requirements for '21 and '22 are 7 wins. But after looking at our depth chart, I'm not sure how we could expect to even be as good in '22 as '21. So what are we going to be saying next year? "I just hope we can win 5 games?"

Edited by AUwent

23 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Fair. But in that case, we shouldn't be having this "I just want to be competitive" mentality. As you can tell by my sig my (counting bowl) requirements for '21 and '22 are 7 wins. But after looking at our depth chart, I'm not sure how we could expect to even be as good in '22 as '21. So what are we going to be saying next year? "I just hope we can win 5 games?"

Damn I bet you're a hoot at parties... its going to be a rough few years you can thank frickin Gus for that.............I mean what did you really really expect the next few years to be. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn I bet you're a hoot at parties... its going to be a rough few years you can thank frickin Gus for that.............I mean what did you really really expect the next few years to be. 

Fine (this is why I'd like to see "timetables" of expectations for the next five years). 

So yeah, for CBH's first two years he gets a pass winning seven games and a bowl can be one of them, so long as we're competitive. But it is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE if we're still having this convo in August 2023. This is also why we can't be relying on results this year to sell recruiting, as I see some arguing in the recruiting thread.

Edited by AUwent

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Fine (this is why I'd like to see "timetables" of expectations for the next five years). 

So yeah, for CBH's first two years he gets a pass winning seven games and a bowl can be one of them, so long as we're competitive. But it is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE if we're still having this convo in August 2023. This is also why we can't be relying on results this year to sell recruiting, as I see some arguing in the recruiting thread.

If we have a good first season, getting players here in the protal and from HS will be easier. If we go 4-8 that would make it even harder.

Yeah. We are gonna lose a ton if Sr lineman, but pretend we go 9-3, get a couple kids drafted or atleast in the discussion, we can reload a good bit in the portal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If we have a good first season, getting players here in the protal and from HS will be easier. If we go 4-8 that would make it even harder.

Yeah. We are gonna lose a ton if Sr lineman, but pretend we go 9-3, get a couple kids drafted or atleast in the discussion, we can reload a good bit in the portal. 

I would be thrilled if your scenario happens. But we aren't supposed to go 9-3. So if we're assuming it's going to be a couple of rebuilding years like Golf and others say, how are we going to start attracting talent? Or are we just fated for 6-7 wins until Dinky hangs it up? The reason I wanted who I wanted was because I thought he was someone who could sell recruits without immediate success.

Edited by AUwent

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I would be thrilled if your scenario happens. But we aren't supposed to go 9-3. So if we're assuming it's going to be a couple of rebuilding years like Golf and others say, how are we going to start attracting talent? Or is Harsin just fated to be the guy before THE guy (or the guy before the guy before THE guy, if it takes til the early 2030s for Dinky to hang it up)? The reason I wanted who I wanted was because I thought he was someone who could sell recruits without immediate success.

So you're Cristobal stan and now just being unreasonable and assuming Harsin is gonna tank?

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So you're Cristobal stan and now just being unreasonable and assuming Harsin is gonna tank?

Cristobal or <the guy at Louisiana-Lafayette> was who I was rooting for.

My point is that I see two strains of thought among our fanbase this offseason:

1) We need to show results and therefore win games to attract good recruits.

2) It's going to be a couple of rebuilding years before we can hope for even 9 wins (Golf).

And if both are true, Harsin will "tank" and we better start praying for Dinky to ride off into the sunset by mid to late of the decade. Fortunately, it's highly possible that one isn't true!

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

25 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Cristobal or <the guy at Louisiana-Lafayette> was who I was rooting for.

My point is that I see two strains of thought among our fanbase this offseason:

1) We need to show results and therefore win games to attract good recruits.

2) It's going to be a couple of rebuilding years before we can hope for even 9 wins (Golf).

And if both are true, Harsin will "tank" and we better start praying for Dinky to ride off into the sunset by mid to late of the decade. Fortunately, it's highly possible that one isn't true!

K. So basically no matter what we're doomed bc we didn't get the west coast Will Muschamp and a guy whom you don't know his name.

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

K. So basically no matter what we're doomed bc we didn't get the west coast Will Muschamp and a guy whom you don't know his name.

Oh I know his name. But to annoy people a bit less I didn't say it because I've made my want for him quite clear. As golf said, he's my "man crush" hahahaha.

Edited by AUwent

So….we should start underclassmen that aren’t really good enough to start because starting this many seniors torpedoes our chances for future recruiting success? This kind of forward thinking is so far ahead of the curve that it doesn’t even register on the current curve. Clearly, this is the kind of genius that will lead Napier to become a HOF coach….

image.gif.95b3a27dff29fcad76e94859797925e8.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, fredst said:

So….we should start underclassmen that aren’t really good enough to start because starting this many seniors torpedoes our chances for future recruiting success? This kind of forward thinking is so far ahead of the curve that it doesn’t even register on the current curve. Clearly, this is the kind of genius that will lead Napier to become a HOF coach….

image.gif.95b3a27dff29fcad76e94859797925e8.gif

Because if this year will be a struggle, like many seem to think it will be even if we do start all these seniors, I'd like to at least have the benefit of having at least half of them returning next year. I'd rather win 9 games and have that boost recruiting as well, but most do not think that's realistic. 1981 is the analogy I hear passed around so often for this year, so if that's the case then how can we rely on our record to have a good recruiting class? We went 5-6 that year and all we did the following February was sign that kid from Bessemer. Clearly CPD didn't need to rely on having a big first season then. Why should Harsin?

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Because if this year will be a struggle, like many seem to think it will be, I'd like to get something out of it?

Like what would you get out of it. No one knows what the hell is going to happen for sure in win and loses. Your reasoning is just crazy and really makes no sense no disrespect but damn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Like what would you get out of it. No one knows what the hell is going to happen for sure in win and loses. Your reasoning is just crazy and really makes no sense no disrespect but damn. 

Fair enough. Let the games begin...

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Because if this year will be a struggle, like many seem to think it will be even if we do start all these seniors, I'd like to at least have the benefit of having at least half of them returning next year. I'd rather win 9 games and have that boost recruiting as well, but most do not think that's realistic.

What do you think is the best plan then? Starting second string guys and hoping for the best? We are dealing with the effects of years of poor recruiting that will take years to sort out. To suggest that playing anything but the best is a good strategy because of the roster situation we are in is…..unusual. You are recommending “tanking”, from game one, to gain experience for the future?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

What do you think is the best plan then? Starting second string guys and hoping for the best? We are dealing with the effects of years of poor recruiting that will take years to sort out. To suggest that playing anything but the best is a good strategy because of the roster situation we are in is…..unusual. You are recommending “tanking”, from game one, to gain experience for the future?

If going 8-5 this year with competitive play all around can get us a top 20 class this year and a top 12 the year after that and consistency in the top 10 beyond, then I guess not. And while we're trying to sort out the effects of those years of poor recruiting, we might as well try to figure out when we should expect to start winning 9-10 games a year. I say 2023.

Edited by AUwent

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

1981 is the analogy I hear passed around so often for this year, so if that's the case then how can we rely on our record to have a good recruiting class? We went 5-6 that year and all we did the following February was sign that kid from Bessemer. Clearly CPD didn't need to rely on having a big first season then.

So, Dye played less than the best to increase his odds in recruiting and it paid off because he signed Bo? Interesting take….

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

So, Dye played less than the best to increase his odds in recruiting and it paid off because he signed Bo? Interesting take….

No. But the fact is he didn't do what CTB and CGM did in their first years and clearly recruits still took notice (Bo and Ben Tamburello, both of whom we beat out UAT for). CTT also lost six games in his first year and again, the recruits took notice (Jason Campbell was very highly touted IIRC). If Harsin can do the same, then ok, he can have a tough first two years and the recruits will still come. This is a different point than my argument about starters, BTW.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I would be thrilled if your scenario happens. But we aren't supposed to go 9-3. So if we're assuming it's going to be a couple of rebuilding years like Golf and others say, how are we going to start attracting talent? Or are we just fated for 6-7 wins until Dinky hangs it up? The reason I wanted who I wanted was because I thought he was someone who could sell recruits without immediate success.

Let’s just relax and let it play out. Anyone expecting Harsin to win 9+ with guys who don’t fit his system isn’t fair. There are bound to be struggles when transitioning to new systems. Part of football. I do believe we very well could win that many, but I’m not expecting it. In terms of recruiting, FSU was a complete joke last year and the last few years and is still attracting recruits. We need to start who gives us the best chance. If we suck come mid October, I’m fine with giving younger guys more snaps 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Let’s just relax and let it play out. Anyone expecting Harsin to win 9+ with guys who don’t fit his system isn’t fair. There are bound to be struggles when transitioning to new systems. Part of football. I do believe we very well could win that many, but I’m not expecting it. In terms of recruiting, FSU was a complete joke last year and the last few years and is still attracting recruits. We need to start who gives us the best chance. If we suck come mid October, I’m fine with giving younger guys more snaps 

And if we can do that, then fine. But by year three we'd better start seeing some results.

Edited by AUwent

No. But the fact is he didn't do what CTB and CGM did in their first years and clearly recruits still took notice.

Because he inherited a depleted roster but instilled discipline and toughness and had a competitive team that still lost more than it won. Competitors want to be put in position to win. The ‘83 team was robbed of the natty they deserved two years later because of that toughness and discipline, not because they were the most talented team in the country. That foundation was laid by his first team and recruiting thrived as a result

• Love 1

And if we can do that, then fine. But by year three we'd better start seeing some results.

I guess I’m confused on your argument about starters. Your saying that we should start young guys and tank so that recruits will come? Not trying to disagree, just want clarity on what you mean

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Because he inherited a depleted roster but instilled discipline and toughness and had a competitive team that still lost more than it won. Competitors want to be put in position to win. The ‘83 team was robbed of the natty they deserved two years later because of that toughness and discipline, not because they were the most talented team in the country. That foundation was laid by his first team and recruiting thrived as a result

And if that's what lures the recruits in, then I'm good. There's just people making it sound like we have to do what CTB or CGM did to draw the recruits.

So, my signature stands.

@au302: Maybe I am wrong. My thinking was that it's a "we might as well" scenario. Our expectations for this year are pretty low even with all those seniors--a look at that depth chart and you'd think this would be a classic Auburn dark horse year. I WAS NOT saying that having a worse record will make the recruits come. What I'm saying is long as displaying a tough, disciplined brand of football gets them to come, if our win total prospects this year are muted, then I wasn't seeing much that could be sacrificed. We were a young team in years such as 1981 and 1999, and part of why we improved so much the next year was because we had so many returning starters.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1