Official Week 1 Depth Chart

McLoofus

53 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Puckett is listed as the 2nd team safety behind Knighten, fwiw.  You're right about Tennison....a few mods elsewhere is he'll be the starting Dime DB.  Kaufman as the starting nickel, so Kaufman will play play at least half the snaps the 1st team is still in there for.

And to your other point, run vs pass, they did point out that Puckett was behind Kaufman/Tennison at Nickel/Dime so he might be better pure run support than a cover DB.  So that logic is tying out

Then that means there will be alot of plays where they are in a package using a nickel where the guy listed as the back up safety is actually starting or on the field at the time so whoever is 3rd team is really the back up at safety. Bunch of playing time for a few guys that's not listed in the 2 deep but will probably see as many plays as anybody on the 2 deep roster. And that's not even factoring in if somebody gets hurt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

We don't see it but the guy you all are talking about that you don't see is probably a nickel. He'll probably get a BUNCH of playing time but they don't show on traditional depth charts. I know tennison is expected to play a bunch and is looked at as being very important but we don't see his name either.

thats-my-man-soul.gif

And I agree completely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Hey I wore them out for being soft and weak. To be honest I’m still under that impression. Prove me wrong . I’m a gentleman and will eat my humble pie cold . 

I just realized that my post might've made it sound like I haven't "booed" them- via internet posts and angry game day text messages- myself, or that other fans deserve that response from them more than I do. Nope. I'm in your camp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Jamel Dean got that AU size bump. We had him listed 6'2 on the roster.

OK, swore I remembered him being 6'2". Gus didn't seem to inflate kids sizes for the most part. Harsin seems to be the opposite 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as us, we had Rogers, Thorpe, Davis, Dean, Pitts. McFadden, mccreary, Noah I

All of those guys are at least 6 foot that were pretty good at their job. I didn't make safeties....but now that I think about it smoke, Sherwood, and mccreary came in together.

That was a very productive class as far as secondary. They all had to play early too, which once again what a job by the secondary guys

Yeah, we've had a some good 6' and 6'1" CB

FWIW - Ro Torrence has been compared heavily to Jamel Dean (length, size, and speed), but a version that's constantly pissed and full of ill will on the field. 

Kaufman is going to be option #1 at Nickel, but Lord Tennison is going to play, too. Really helped that Tennison repped mostly safety in the spring IMO.

I'm excited to see what Knighten brings. He's been flying under the radar, but apparently put the lockdown on his starter spot early in camp.

Marcus Harris - what a key STEAL from the portal at a position of need. Been another breakout performer in camp AND will help us with recruiting in-roads in Montgomery. 💰

Wooten being back to spell Zakoby and Owen is SOOO friggin huge, too. 

I love defense and this is going to be a good one. 

• Like 8

A few notes/observations:

Miller played primarily zone at WV, this defense is new from a lot of perspectives and there are some really good dudes in front of him

Jackson has a high football IQ and brings it every play, every day.

Tank was by far our best kick returner last season.  I don't know if it was scheme, but we needed to change it up back there.  Can't have your starting rb back there and can't have a guy who averages around 15 yards a kick off return out there.  Gotta have some elusiveness and vision to return kicks.

I would not worry about what our base defense is under Mason, we are gonna see multiple schemes throughout a game pending on opponent.  If anything we will be playing out of the nickel probably the most as this has become the norm in NFL and College ball.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

A few notes/observations:

Miller played primarily zone at WV, this defense is new from a lot of perspectives and there are some really good dudes in front of him

Jackson has a high football IQ and brings it every play, every day.

Tank was by far our best kick returner last season.  I don't know if it was scheme, but we needed to change it up back there.  Can't have your starting rb back there and can't have a guy who averages around 15 yards a kick off return out there.  Gotta have some elusiveness and vision to return kicks.

I would not worry about what our base defense is under Mason, we are gonna see multiple schemes throughout a game pending on opponent.  If anything we will be playing out of the nickel probably the most as this has become the norm in NFL and College ball.

Shed Jackson that is. 😉

Kick and punt return had some REAL competition this camp. Some really good options. Count me, too, as glad that Tank isn't the primary guy. He may get SOME returns, but not I'm thinking Kaufman puts it on LOCK if he flashes like he did at Vandy.

Agree, even says in OP's tweet that the depth chart is a blended 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid. It's more like we have a "starting" 14 on defense rather than just 11, but on paper and all...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Man I have always hated the "or" designation.

Where is Elijah Canion? Most talked about wide receiver all offseason. Hurt or quarantined?

Marcus Harris has had a phenomenal camp.

Thank God we don't have Tank on KR

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Seems like a good bit are an inch taller than they were last year.  I've noticed a few OL that way and Finely grew an inch too.  Maybe it's the new workout routine.

But still, 6'3" is pretty tall too.  I thought Jameel Dean was close, but google tells me he was "only" 6'1"

I can't help but wonder just how accurate the height/weight metrics are.

Assuming they are, I don't see how we are going to get 'out-beefed'. ;D 

7 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I'm happy for Troxell finally being healthy enough to win the tackle spot. Poor guy's knees seemed like they were made of pudding...

I knocked on wood for you.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, cbo said:

By my count, that's 3 transfers starting on D, with 2 more on the 2-deep. Pretty good job with the portal. 

With multiple years to play!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Looking for a huge year from D-Rob. #0 

WDE!

ZZMZLCJ4BVG3VNPVTYGHYWC5TE.jpg

People think he wasn’t good enough to make UGAs roster. I really think he just wasn’t used enough. I think he’ll be a monster for us. 

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I actually think we're gonna have one or two legit pass rushers this year

If we do the defense will be legit.  And if our offense can maintain drives, score a few points while eliminating t.o.'s,  we're gonna beat a few people we weren't supposed to.

• Like 2

My man crush Eku Leota must be quarantined. No way he missed the two deep 😭

I think Lee Hunter might be out too 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Good catch.   Yeah, those guys are projected to be major contributors!!!

57 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Lee Hunter has been quiet all camp.  Thought he'd make some noise.  can't recall if he was every spotted as not being at practice.

12 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Good catch.   Yeah, those guys are projected to be major contributors!!!

Miller and Canion, too. 

Several major names not on this 2-deep. I think we can expect that to continue to be the case, at least throughout the first half of the season. It's all the same. Only the names will change.

(Either I'm right or this is a reverse jinx that helps the team.)

• Like 1