Official Week 1 Depth Chart

McLoofus

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Shed has had a history of having slippery popcorn hands. And Canion/Capers have both generally been predicted during the spring, summer, and fall in that spot. So it is a little surprising. Good on him though. He grabbed back his spot. 

Honestly at this point I'm just going to assume that any notable absences on the depth chart are because of Covid. 

Not a judgment or emotion thing. Just the thing that makes the most sense to me. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Shed has had a history of having slippery popcorn hands. And Canion/Capers have both generally been predicted during the spring, summer, and fall in that spot. So it is a little surprising. Good on him though. He grabbed back his spot. 

I was actually trying to agree. A few months back no one thought we would have seniors starting at WR.

I didn't even have an interesting point to make and I still completely mucked it up!

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think Jackson was the only kind of WR Gus somewhat did know how to use. 

I think Javy Johnson qualifies as the guy you just described. I called him Ryan Davis with some Steve Smith in him when we recruited him. Hoping he proves me right. 

We got Ryan Davis like 90 catches a year.  I think Gus used him pretty well.  He was also a Tr Fr last year, right?  Hard to break through when playing behind Schwartz.

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

By my count, that's 3 transfers starting on D, with 2 more on the 2-deep. Pretty good job with the portal. 

Yeah, outside of Miller, pretty much every transfer on defense has hit and DR is our starting WR.  Finley is the back up QB.  So they did a solid job there.  The kid from NW will probably be be a reserve/ST kid and might be able to play next year.

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Jackson is probably the biggest surprise to me on the whole DC

I have yet to hear anything other than he's a great blocker tbh. I hope he can show more than that.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

We got Ryan Davis like 90 catches a year.  I think Gus used him pretty well.  He was also a Tr Fr last year, right?  Hard to break through when playing behind Schwartz.

The most catches he got was 84- his most in a season by a significant margin- and he only had 815 receiving yards. That was 67th in the country that year. He was 375th in yards per! You don't throw 80 frickin screen passes to a guy and say you used him well. 

It's well documented that these guys had to try to convince NFL teams that they could do a lot more than their college tape showed. 

Johnson is a 3rd year guy and he's going from zero stats to WR1. I'm so excited for all of these guys. Gonna be a bright, bright, sunshiney day. 

27 minutes ago, cbo said:

By my count, that's 3 transfers starting on D, with 2 more on the 2-deep. Pretty good job with the portal. 

And arguably the biggest name from the portal isn't even on there. Good job, indeed.

Remember that the WR position is a lot more cerebral in this offense. They have to be able to read the defense and adjust the route accordingly AND be on the same page as the QB. So pure speed and talent may not get you as far with the new coaching staff. Maybe Jackson is making those reads better than the younger WRs. And its not just his blocking that has him in a starting role.  

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I hope they are playing with a chip on their shoulders . 

I read that Mets players have starting giving a thumbs down to their fans whenever they do something good because the fans were booing their mistakes so much.

I hope we get 60 thumbs downs from the OL. 30 for passing touchdowns and 30 for rushing ones. 

No real surprises on the two deep.

Ro Torrence is going to be such a freaking stud pony. What an incredible story. 

Kaufman has, by all reports, stepped in like a veteran day one of camp, too. 

I do want to see how much Dreshun Miller gets involved tho.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yea I noticed that too. He was running with the ones and now he’s completely gone. Covid or doghouse? Hmm

Canion I believe had some nagging injuries.

I wonder if Harsin is the kind of coach that doesn't list a player on hia depth chart if you are injured or possibly unable to play at the time the depth chart comes out?

Some NFL teams won't list injured players as part of a depth chart too.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

eating crow meme - Google Search | Crow, Black bird, Humble pie

Save some of that for all of the people that bashed our man from SEMO when we took him out of the portal. Looks like he maybe played decent football (albeit at a lower division )since he’s a game 1 starter for us

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The most catches he got was 84-

Yeah, that's "like 90"

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

he only had 815 receiving yards. That was 67th in the country that year. He was 375th in yards per! You don't throw 80 frickin screen passes to a guy and say you used him well. 

He def used him in a role and Davis excelled at it.  Sure, he probably could have been used better, but I'm not sure how much of a vertical threat Davis.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Johnson is a 3rd year guy and he's going from zero stats to WR1. I'm so excited for all of these guys. Gonna be a bright, bright, sunshiney day. 

Yeah, I'm hopeful.  Think we have coaches on offense that will use guys correctly and adapt for the first time in many many many years.  Hope the OL can just be good enough

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And arguably the biggest name from the portal isn't even on there. Good job, indeed.

He was "injured/absent" for most of the fall, which didn't help him.  Seemed to be the one transfer missing a lot of time.  Torrance having a beast of a fall camp didn't help either.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, that's "like 90"

You said "a season". He did that once and never approached it in another season.

Sure, he probably could have been used better, but I'm not sure how much of a vertical threat Davis.

There's more than screens and vertical routes. Can't wait to see us finally catch up with Bill Walsh and start using them. But we agree that he could have been used better so all good here. 

17 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Looks a great unit and the Oline has some size

Bored...and went back to look at last year.  Council is up 10, Hamm up 5, Brahms up 3, Trox down 2, Jones down 10 but still 335.

Haven't seen any shirtless pictures, but I'd guess they'll have a little better body composition this year.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You said "a season". He did that once and never approached it in another season.

probably mean "in a" so mistype.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There's more than screens and vertical routes. Can't wait to see us finally catch up with Bill Walsh and start using them. But we agree that he could have been used better so all good here. 

I don't think this is true.  I've been watching Auburn football for 10 years and never seen it.

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The most catches he got was 84- his most in a season by a significant margin- and he only had 815 receiving yards. That was 67th in the country that year. He was 375th in yards per! You don't throw 80 frickin screen passes to a guy and say you used him well. 

It's well documented that these guys had to try to convince NFL teams that they could do a lot more than their college tape showed. 

You don't tell a guy this is the one thing you can do and get to say he was used well.....if you're a high level athlete you can be used in all facets of being a wr. 

The wr's were probably done the most disservice out of all positions under Gus.

So a couple things I notice here.

I believe this is more of a 4-3 base for a couple of reasons.

I have been seeing all fall camp that in the 3-4 look, TD is starting opposite of Hall at EDGE/OLB. Then now he is listed as his back up.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the first time we line up in a true 3-4 D,  TD will be the other OLB. 

Also, very interesting not seeing Canion on here. 

EDIT- I just looked at full depth chart on TOS and my suspicions were true. Chandler will be the 3rd LB in our 4-3 base and TD will be starting opposite D Hall in our 3-4 look. Great job TD MOULTRY

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The wr's were probably done the most disservice out of all positions under Gus.

Which is wild considering it was probably one of our better and consistently recruited position groups.

We don't see it but the guy you all are talking about that you don't see is probably a nickel. He'll probably get a BUNCH of playing time but they don't show on traditional depth charts. I know tennison is expected to play a bunch and is looked at as being very important but we don't see his name either.

Archived