Official Week 1 Depth Chart

McLoofus

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You don't tell a guy this is the one thing you can do and get to say he was used well.....if you're a high level athlete you can be used in all facets of being a wr. 

Maybe he wasn't truly a high level athlete.  He ran a 4.63 at pro day.  His shuttle was below average and 3 cone was in the bottom 1/3 of NFL WRs.  Avg Vertical.  Had below average height/weight/arm/hand size.  Broad jump was the only thing he really tested well at.

I enjoyed watching Ryan Davis play for us. he could have been used a little better for sure, but I'm not sure he had the pure athleticism to "all facets" of being a WR in the SEC.

Edited by W.E.D

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I read that Mets players have starting giving a thumbs down to their fans whenever they do something good because the fans were booing their mistakes so much.

I hope we get 60 thumbs downs from the OL. 30 for passing touchdowns and 30 for rushing ones. 

Hey I wore them out for being soft and weak. To be honest I’m still under that impression. Prove me wrong . I’m a gentleman and will eat my humble pie cold . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bored...and went back to look at last year.  Council is up 10, Hamm up 5, Brahms up 3, Trox down 2, Jones down 10 but still 335.

Haven't seen any shirtless pictures, but I'd guess they'll have a little better body composition this year.

Jones played at 355 last year? Holy moly . Trox needs to eat at the sizzler 5 meals a day . 

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

Jones played at 355 last year? Holy moly . Trox needs to eat at the sizzler 5 meals a day . 

That's what he was listed at on the depth chart vs Kentucky

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

Another thing that caught my eye is that they removed Shivers from kicks. Very surprising but a good move imo

I'm pretty sure Kaufman was really good returning kicks for Vandy and we're probably deeper at DB than RB.  I though we'd see Shivers return kicks, but not Tank.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We don't see it but the guy you all are talking about that you don't see is probably a nickel. He'll probably get a BUNCH of playing time but they don't show on traditional depth charts. I know tennison is expected to play a bunch and is looked at as being very important but we don't see his name either.

I think Kaufman is the #1 nickel, followed by Tennison and Puckett. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe he wasn't truly a high level athlete.  He ran a 4.63 at pro day.  His shuttle was below average and 3 cone was in the bottom 1/3 of NFL WRs.  Avg Vertical.  Had below average height/weight/arm/hand size.  Broad jump was the only thing he really tested well at.

I enjoyed watching Ryan Davis play for us. he could have been used a little better for sure, but I'm not sure he had the pure athleticism to "all facets" of being a WR in the SEC.

There are plenty of wr 's that ran 4.5/4.6's that have been very productive. That's the point though you have to be taught the advanced techniques to be that, which I guys didn't get. That's what the coaches are supposed to do, they aren't there to teach how to catch. People already know how to do that. 

Yet alone just putting a guy out there to do the same exact thing all the time justmakes it even more easy to cover you. It puts you at a disadvantage. And no coach is putting a guy in the position to make people miss a bunch and you're not athletic. You're in that position because you are viewed as the best guy that can turn little gains into big gains.

Just now, cbo said:

I think Kaufman is the #1 nickel, followed by Tennison and Puckett. 

That could be, my point is you don't see Puckett and tennison's name but it's not like they aren't expected to play and play alot. I'm sure guys specialize in different scenarios but I'd imagine you'd want a corner more for covering and a safety more for run support, could be a down and distance situation

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

That could be, my point is you don't see Puckett and tennison's name but it's not like they aren't expected to play and play alot. I'm sure guys specialize in different scenarios but I'd imagine you'd want a corner more for covering and a safety more for run support, could be a down and distance situation

Oh yeah, I agree. We will see lots of all these guys mentioned. Mason has to love the options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Honestly at this point I'm just going to assume that any notable absences on the depth chart are because of Covid. 

Not a judgment or emotion thing. Just the thing that makes the most sense to me. 

It could also be for injuries. Harsin may be that kind of coach that won't list you on a depth chart if you are injured or possibly at the time he released the DC, that you may not be able to play.

Harsin also mentioned that guys that are 3rd on the depth chart can still work hard during the week of practice, and by game time move up to 2nd string.

And how many times have we seen a weekly depth chart come out during game week, and on game day, the first offense and defense has guys on it that were not 1st string on the weekly depth chart.

Just now, cbo said:

Oh yeah, I agree. We will see lots of all these guys mentioned. Mason has to love the options.

Even when guys move on we will have a bunch of talented and experienced guys to step in. I think Harsin or mason should've kept our secondary coaches. They did a lights out job and I don't think they get near enough credit for it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Even when guys move on we will have a bunch of talented and experienced guys to step in. I think Harsin or mason should've kept our secondary coaches. They did a lights out job and I don't think they get near enough credit for it. 

They did an amazing job. Even guys that weren't big time recruits have excelled, like McCreary. They knew how to spot talent and coach them up. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Size is one thing and a BIG thing, but until you convince the RT that in an empty backfield, he needs to block the DE lined up opposite him in a sprinters stance, it won't matter.

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It could also be for injuries. Harsin may be that kind of coach that won't list you on a depth chart if you are injured or possibly at the time he released the DC, that you may not be able to play.

Harsin also mentioned that guys that are 3rd on the depth chart can still work hard during the week of practice, and by game time move up to 2nd string.

And how many times have we seen a weekly depth chart come out during game week, and on game day, the first offense and defense has guys on it that were not 1st string on the weekly depth chart.

Yeah, I know all that. I'm just talking about big name guys being left off out of nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

OK, I give up.  How does one connect to a Twitter reference?

If I click on it, the whole post just disappears.  I've tried C&P in on Twitter (which I hardly ever use) and that doesn't work either.  what's the trick?

I just copy and paste the URL of the tweet and shazam there it is

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You don't tell a guy this is the one thing you can do and get to say he was used well.....if you're a high level athlete you can be used in all facets of being a wr. 

The wr's were probably done the most disservice out of all positions under Gus.

Unless it’s Tyreek Hill and you’re telling him, “the one thing you can do is run around and burn people, get open, and score touchdowns”!

image.gif.245e58406d6d9ccd03f298d885d6dcb4.gif

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm pretty sure Kaufman was really good returning kicks for Vandy and we're probably deeper at DB than RB.  I though we'd see Shivers return kicks, but not Tank.

Agreed. Kaufman was a no brainer. With limited RB depth and good DB depth I can understand why they’d put a guy like Pritchett who is just as if not more explosive back there 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Puckett is listed as the 2nd team safety behind Knighten, fwiw.  You're right about Tennison....a few mods elsewhere is he'll be the starting Dime DB.  Kaufman as the starting nickel, so Kaufman will play play at least half the snaps the 1st team is still in there for.

And to your other point, run vs pass, they did point out that Puckett was behind Kaufman/Tennison at Nickel/Dime so he might be better pure run support than a cover DB.  So that logic is tying out

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

I still can't get over someone 6'4 playing corner at a high level.  

Seems like a good bit are an inch taller than they were last year.  I've noticed a few OL that way and Finely grew an inch too.  Maybe it's the new workout routine.

But still, 6'3" is pretty tall too.  I thought Jameel Dean was close, but google tells me he was "only" 6'1"

25 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Unless it’s Tyreek Hill and you’re telling him, “the one thing you can do is run around and burn people, get open, and score touchdowns”!

image.gif.245e58406d6d9ccd03f298d885d6dcb4.gif

Gus wouldn't have had him going deep in his offense. He'd strictly be a speed sweep and screen guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems like a good bit are an inch taller than they were last year.  I've noticed a few OL that way and Finely grew an inch too.  Maybe it's the new workout routine.

But still, 6'3" is pretty tall too.  I thought Jameel Dean was close, but google tells me he was "only" 6'1"

Jamel Dean got that AU size bump. We had him listed 6'2 on the roster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

As far as us, we had Rogers, Thorpe, Davis, Dean, Pitts. McFadden, mccreary, Noah I

All of those guys are at least 6 foot that were pretty good at their job. I didn't make safeties....but now that I think about it smoke, Sherwood, and mccreary came in together.

That was a very productive class as far as secondary. They all had to play early too, which once again what a job by the secondary guys

• Like 1