Three losers from open practice

aubiefifty

Three losers from Auburn's open practice

Share this article

Lance Dawe

August 28, 2021 4:58 pm CT

Auburn held an open practice Saturday afternoon at Jordan-Hare Stadium, free for fans to attend.

The Tigers held warmups, drills and game situations. The offense looked comfortable in team drills. The pacing drill the first- and second-team offense ran showed how efficient this passing offense can be. Even though it was just an open practice, Auburn looked good. Certainly more polished than what we saw in the spring.

However, there were some things the Tigers could have done better. Let’s take a look at some of the losers from Auburn’s practice.

Kobe Hudson

Hudson looked lackadaisical in Auburn’s warm-up drills and did not start with the first-team offense. Many fans were excited to see Hudson play in the spring, but he has been overtaken by other guys in the wide receiver room, Ja’Varrius Johnson and Demetris Robertson.

I want to see Hudson make the most of his time with the program because I think he’s a talented receiver. But if his everyday attitude reflects what he displayed on the field during the open practice (which I assume it doesn’t), he will not see the field as often as fans thought in the spring.

The tight end position (Minus John Samuel Shenker)

John Samuel Shenker started as the first-team tight end and was active during Auburn’s pacing drill, catching a touchdown pass. Auburn expects to get its tight ends more involved in the passing game, but if Shenker continues to display confident route running and hands, Mike Bobo may stray from a tight end by committee approach and focus on developing Shenker.

Tashawn Manning

Tashawn Manning was running with the second-team offense and appears to have been overtaken by Keiondre Jones at right guard.

Share this article

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

i hate his title but this is usa today for the record.

• Like 3

• WarTiger changed the title to Three losers from open practice

It’s just so odd how things are perceived by this writer. For example, Tight Ends are “losers” because one player (Shenker) has excelled and it’s not a committee approach? Why is that bad and Shenker not a “winner”? Are other position groups losers because a player stands out and dominates? Lol. Also, Kobe Hudson is lackadaisical in warm up drills (one man’s opinion and not fact) and is a loser, what’s that even mean?Warm up drills?? Wow. Man I can’t wait for the season to start and be done with the annual offseason crap. 

Edited by NoALtiger
  • Like 7

These guys are pure lazy and like to come up strange takes. The three winners article was equally laughable. I wouldn’t put much stock in it. I hope guys like Shed and TD do great, but they have been hyping them up for 4 off seasons. Kobe is young, talented, and has questionable hands. Once he gets his hands better he will see the field and be an impact player  

• Like 1

I really wish they'd stop this feature. Just kind of s***ty and he's just taking out-of-context info from 247.

• Like 6

It was interesting to hear Harsin discuss the depth chart and player development at Tiger Talk and how different it was than the media speculations. I will wait and judge the players and this team as I watch them in love games. Showtime is coming soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

It’s just so odd how things are perceived by this writer. For example, Tight Ends are “losers” because one player (Shenker) has excelled and it’s not a committee approach? Why is that bad and Shenker not a “winner”? Are other position groups losers because a player stands out and dominates? Lol. Also, Kobe Hudson is lackadaisical in warm up drills (one man’s opinion and not fact) and is a loser, what’s that even mean?Warm up drills?? Wow. Man I can’t wait for the season to start and be done with the annual offseason crap. 

it does seem it is deeper than normal this year. i guess they are hurting because of covid so maybe they are trying click bait more this year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Perhaps the OP should quit posting these dumb articles that are nothing more than hit pieces on AU players. 

i post what i can find. you might find them dumb but we got a few hundred here on the fam and i am pretty sure some of them want to know what is out there. but gosh lets just post fluff pieces. go drink some warm milk you will be ok.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Perhaps the OP should quit posting these dumb articles that are nothing more than hit pieces on AU players. 

I for one, appreciate Fifty's posting of myriad articles.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I really wish they'd stop this feature. Just kind of s***ty and he's just taking out-of-context info from 247.

Can't express how dumb it is to try to report something that nobody spends any time researching.

And how stupid it is to see a guy make or miss one play then take away their entire off season from that. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

@aubiefifty Does a great job of posting AU articles that many of us may never see if he didn't do that. I appreciate the fact the he post them whether the article itself is good or bad or taken however anyone wants. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i post what i can find. you might find them dumb but we got a few hundred here on the fam and i am pretty sure some of them want to know what is out there. but gosh lets just post fluff pieces. go drink some warm milk you will be ok.

I appreciate what you are posting. It is not your fault how some writers write. It is a glass half full of a glass half empty scenario. One way is to highlight how good somebody looks and say other must keep working hard to match that person or talk about the person who in writers opinion assuming that writer actually saw the practice themselves opinion of how a player did not look good.

I am not saying this is the case with Kobe some players are so smooth and effortless it is easy to think they are taking it easy until you see them in the game creating separation and making a big play. Also some players have a different gear once it is a real game, it is not that they are taking practice off but something clicks for them when it is real and it counts. I have also seen the opposite where a guy is terrific in practice but doesn't handle the real game the same. It is a mental thing I can't explain but I have seen it over the years.

• Like 1

Again. Calling players “losers” on this forum is OK as long as one masquerades as a writer?

9 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Again. Calling players “losers” on this forum is OK as long as one masquerades as a writer?

would you like me to sensor every single thing i post? like it or not i do not allow myself to make those decisions. you are mostly grown folks and do not need me making that decision for you. and if it goes against board rules the mods will delete it. i try to post  it all. some people want to know who is saying what and some do not. i just post stuff and let you guys make your own mind up. not sure how much fairer i can be.

• Like 1

In the immortal words of AI, "We talking about practice?"  I wonder if these modern day "journalists" would have torpedoed Bo Jackson's career reporting what they saw from him in practice....

"He has always hated to practice. And once, when Auburn assistant coach Bud Casey grabbed him by the face mask, Jackson shook his hand off and responded: 'Don't you ever to that again! Don't you ever grab me again!' Casey never did."

For the record, Lance Dawe is a cohost of On The Line with Noah Gardner on ESPN 106.7 in Auburn. They both do stuff like this to fill time and make lists of the same six topics. Take that what you will.

22 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

would you like me to sensor every single thing i post? like it or not i do not allow myself to make those decisions. you are mostly grown folks and do not need me making that decision for you. and if it goes against board rules the mods will delete it. i try to post  it all. some people want to know who is saying what and some do not. i just post stuff and let you guys make your own mind up. not sure how much fairer i can be.

Nah. You can hide behind the title. 

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Loser #4? Me, for reading this. 

some of you complainers give me a shout out when you bring something to the board other than bitching about folks that do. post some articles. show me how it is done. lead by example.

2 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Nah. You can hide behind the title. 

i am not hiding behind anything. CAN YOU DO BETTER? then show us how it is done there sport. you take fifteen minutes to an hour on most days and contribute to the family. you made your point earlier and pissing and moaning is not helping anything. that is the way some of you are. you do not bring a damn thing to the board but want to bitch about people that do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

some of you complainers give me a shout out when you bring something to the board other than bitching about folks that do. post some articles. show me how it is done. lead by example.

It was a joke. I said the other day I appreciate what you do and no one should complain about it. 

But I also assume we are allowed to like or dislike the articles you post. It's not a shot against you in any way.