The winners from second fall scrimmage

aubiefifty

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

just for the record auburns defense was considered one of our worst last year and we killed finley.

My whole point in all of this is basically what Cole said yesterday, neither of them were good last year. If you want to keep referencing TJ's terrible game against us, then acknowledge Bo's terrible games against teams like Carolina. Can't have it both ways. Mikey said yesterday that it doesn't matter what Bo does since he isn't splitting reps with Grant Loy. That's the thought process that I think we need to get out of. Everything each of these QB's does this offseason matters. Every practice, meeting, scrimmage, conditioning session, etc. Fortunately, I believe this staff preaches that and puts it into practice.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, au302 said:

My whole point in all of this is basically what Cole said yesterday, neither of them were good last year. If you want to keep referencing TJ's terrible game against us, then acknowledge Bo's terrible games against teams like Carolina. Can't have it both ways. Mikey said yesterday that it doesn't matter what Bo does since he isn't splitting reps with Grant Loy. That's the thought process that I think we need to get out of. Everything each of these QB's does this offseason matters. Every practice, meeting, scrimmage, conditioning session, etc. Fortunately, I believe this staff preaches that and puts it into practice.

do you really want to read a whole book on this stuff. i assume folks know bo had a ton of bad games just like i did. i was trying to keep my response short. but yes i agree. also we have been talking about bo's bad games for a couple of years now and finley is new. i hope all our qb's excell. i also think bo has probably improved in some areas. how much remains to be seen. but i will be pulling hard for whomever is leading the team.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

do you really want to read a whole book on this stuff. i assume folks know bo had a ton of bad games just like i did. i was trying to keep my response short. but yes i agree. also we have been talking about bo's bad games for a couple of years now and finley is new. i hope all our qb's excell. i also think bo has probably improved in some areas. how much remains to be seen. but i will be pulling hard for whomever is leading the team.

Good take. I agree. Whoever it is we have to get behind full force, and I do agree the system will put them in opportunities to display their improvements 

Just now, au302 said:

Good take. I agree. Whoever it is we have to get behind full force, and I do agree the system will put them in opportunities to display their improvements 

i am not doom and gloom yet. if harsin abd bob are qb whisperers they do improve bo's game.

34 minutes ago, au302 said:

Which brings us back around to Finley splitting snaps with Loy. That isn't happening last year, it's happening now.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Statistically speaking we had a better defense than USCe mad Bo did horrible against them, while TJ did fairly well. You can’t go off one game. 

Especially when our HC's brilliant game plan was to attack the 1st NFL drafted DB.  Horn absolutely man handled Seth/Bo that game.  Maybe TJ/LSU Dominated Horn, I don't remember.  But yeah, Bo dominated LSU so he must be good!!!  [ignores the other 8 games]

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And Bo has gotten killed by numerous defenses the last two years, and Loy has never sniffed QB2 behind him. 

The only reason Loy got mentioned was b/c DD is in covid protocol.  He's a non factor

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Which brings us back around to Finley splitting snaps with Loy.

We had to have a 3rd QB.  There's a lot of mixing and matching b/c we don't have an entire DC of 3 full teams.  Finely wasn't "Splitting Reps" with Loy as you're trying to insinuate them being on the same level.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The only reason Loy got mentioned was b/c DD is in covid protocol.  He's a non factor

Or one could say, only reason DD played so much in first scrimmage was Loy missed a few practices prior to scrimmage. Since Finley arrived, him and Loy have been splitting QB2/3 reps with DD hardly getting any reps. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Which brings us back around to Finley splitting snaps with Loy. That isn't happening last year, it's happening now.

yes either the coaches are not happy or they are sending bo a message. i look for the first two games to see a couple of qb's getting to play.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

yes either the coaches are not happy or they are sending bo a message. i look for the first two games to see a couple of qb's getting to play.

I don't look for that to happen unless the offense appears to be a well-oiled machine, with the starters getting something like a 35-0 lead by half time. If there are bugs, the starters will be left in to work out the kinks.

PS: How well the machine is oiled will depend to a great extent on how badly we are affected by the virus protocols. Worse case, we could still be mixing and matching until October.

7 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Or one could say, only reason DD played so much in first scrimmage was Loy missed a few practices prior to scrimmage. Since Finley arrived, him and Loy have been splitting QB2/3 reps with DD hardly getting any reps. 

Last I heard, DD wasn't getting any reps at all since he's in COVID protocol. I also haven't seen that Loy and Finely are splitting QB 2/3 reps so much as I have seen people assuming that to be the case. Regardless, what we say on message boards has no relevance. It will shake out however it shakes out. My opinion? I do not expect Loy to be any higher than 3rd or 4th on the depth chart once the season is underway and all four QBs are available/not on COVID protocol.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

PS: How well the machine is oiled will depend to a great extent on how badly we are affected by the virus protocols. Worse case, we could still be mixing and matching until October.

If our Tigers don't step up and get vax numbers to where they should be, I would change "could be still mixing and matching" to "will be mixing and matching."

3 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Last I heard, DD wasn't getting any reps at all since he's in COVID protocol. I also haven't seen that Loy and Finely are splitting QB 2/3 reps so much as I have seen people assuming that to be the case. Regardless, what we say on message boards has no relevance. It will shake out however it shakes out. My opinion? I do not expect Loy to be any higher than 3rd or 4th on the depth chart once the season is underway and all four QBs are available/not on COVID protocol.

Prior to the first scrimmage. Now of course DD isn't getting reps now since he is out.

10 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Come on guys. Loy was no better than 3rd last year with Bo and Gatewood before he left.

Loy will be 4th, bc the other 3 QBs are better and need all the reps they can get for next year too.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Loy will be 4th, bc the other 3 QBs are better and need all the reps they can get for next year too.

I'll go you one better. Loy will never see a competitive down on the field for Auburn. One of the walkons would have to go if we needed to score and Bo, TJ, and DD weren't available. Yes, he's that unskilled.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

just for the record auburns defense was considered one of our worst last year and we killed finley.

Killed LSU offensive line. I thought the pressure did not give him enough time.

Hey what is the word on that speedster WR from Va who skipped his senior yr of HS last year?  

Johnson Jr?     forgive me if that is not him.

I am thinking this staff would know how to use speed if he can catch the ball.   Is he doing ok? 

2 hours ago, Tony4AU said:

I do agree that it is pretty much TJ vs Bo.  I wasn't aware Loy missed any time, guess another Covid hit?  I think DD was behind Loy in the spring, so that wouldn't be too surprising.

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Hey what is the word on that speedster WR from Va who skipped his senior yr of HS last year?  

Johnson Jr?     forgive me if that is not him.

I am thinking this staff would know how to use speed if he can catch the ball.   Is he doing ok? 

I think there has been a lot of buzz about him during camp. Hope we see him on the field.

To even pretend loy is second team is laughable. It's not rocket science if we want to say look at Finley against us last year there's no hope then you can't be sane and then say but I think Bo can improve even though he had bad games.....that wouldn't make sense.

They both aren't defined by one game and they both have a chance to be better than last year. That's it.

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not doom and gloom yet. if harsin abd bob are qb whisperers they do improve bo's game.

Sad to say, but all we need them to do is get him to average...if he is average we can win more games.  

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Sad to say, but all we need them to do is get him to average...if he is average we can win more games.  

he should improve some period just by having a couple of years under his belt but the new o worries me some. if he had no real route tree in high school like he did under gus then it would seem like he has a lot to learn. my personal opinion is dd has the best tools of all of them but the game has not slowed down enough.

Archived