The winners from second fall scrimmage

aubiefifty

The winners from Auburn's second fall scrimmage

622 shares

081521-AU-Student-Convocation-7.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
August 21, 2021 12:37 pm CT

Well we know one thing from the second scrimmage, the defense is ready to suit up and play.

It still sounds like the offense is a work in progress. There were several players that joined Bryan Harsin and Derek Mason on the list of guys that were not a part of Auburn’s second scrimmage of fall camp.

Despite the defense winning the day and making things tough on the offense, there are some winners from the scrimmage.

Let’s take a dive in.

Ja'Varrius Johnson

USATSI_15918012.jpg

Jake Crandall via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Johnson has been a reliable option in the passing attack for Auburn’s quarterbacks throughout the offseason but during Friday’s scrimmage, he emerged as Auburn’s main punt returner.

Tashawn Manning

USATSI_15230823.jpg

ake Crandall via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Manning played with the first-team unit again after lining up with the second team during the first scrimmage.

Grant Loy

USATSI_15917361.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Loy took a lot of reps with the second unit Friday. Per reports, he took most of the snaps with this group.

Contact/Follow us @theauburnwire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

If Grant Loy plays before TJ and DD, some on this board will never recover and may need to be institutionalized! 

I'm assuming Loy's increase in PT is directly linked to others being absent due to testing positive for COVID?  If not, props to Loy.

• WarTiger changed the title to The winners from second fall scrimmage
2 hours ago, GAAubie said:

If Grant Loy plays before TJ and DD, some on this board will never recover and may need to be institutionalized! 

Hmmm, I guess you didn't know. Several posters already are institutionalized, posting here keeps them out of the nurses' hair. ;)

2 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Hmmm, I guess you didn't know. Several posters already are institutionalized, posting here keeps them out of the nurses' hair. ;)

Nurse Ratched needs to do her job!

33 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Nurse Ratched needs to do her job!

She's too busy checking SEC team vax rates on her phone.....

2 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I'm assuming Loy's increase in PT is directly linked to others being absent due to testing positive for COVID?  If not, props to Loy.

If your assumptions are correct, that would mean TJ is out also? Haven’t noticed that piece of info, just DD.

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If your assumptions are correct, that would mean TJ is out also? Haven’t noticed that piece of info, just DD.

Pretty sure TJ hasn't missed any practice 

Maybe Loy was taking a lot of second team reps because TJ was splitting more first team with Bo this time around? It would be hard to believe TJ running third string behind Grant Loy

4 hours ago, au302 said:

Maybe Loy was taking a lot of second team reps because TJ was splitting more first team with Bo this time around? It would be hard to believe TJ running third string behind Grant Loy

If he's practicing the way he played against AU last season it's not at all hard to imagine.

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

There were several players that joined Bryan Harsin and Derek Mason on the list of guys that were not a part of Auburn’s second scrimmage of fall camp.

Anyone who thinks this isn't hurting our team's performance throughout the season isn't familiar with competitive team sports. The people we are going to compete against are out there getting better every practice. They are getting better while we slip-shod around with makeup lineups because numerous coaches and players are sitting twiddling their thumbs and waiting to clear protocols. This calamity was unnecessary.

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If he's practicing the way he played against AU last season it's not at all hard to imagine.

Lol. I'm sure you're just joking, but in case not, you know very well that is a silly statement. What about South Carolina? Bo played horrendously against them and TJ lit them up. Bobo witnessed those first hand since he was their OC. If TJ vs us factors in, shouldn't that common opponent should factor in as well?

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Lol. I'm sure you're just joking, but in case not, you know very well that is a silly statement. What about South Carolina? Bo played horrendously against them and TJ lit them up. Bobo witnessed those first hand since he was their OC. If TJ vs us factors in, shouldn't that common opponent should factor in as well?

Now if you're comparing TJ vs Loy for 2d string in a scrimmage that's legit, but if you're comparing TJ v Bo last season - and it appears you are - here's TJs stats last season:

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
80 140 57.1 941 6.7 5 5 54 118.2

7 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Now if you're comparing TJ vs Loy for 2d string in a scrimmage that's legit, but if you're comparing TJ v Bo last season - and it appears you are - here's TJs stats last season:

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
80 140 57.1 941 6.7 5 5 54 118.2

That's not what he was doing at all. He was pointing out how silly it is to say look at this one game and use it to say it's not hard to imagine that he's not too good. So if that logic was used with Bo what would that mean?

He just simply pointed out flawed logic that you gave a thumbs up to. Also those stats you used......ok Bo was able to play in more games......wow. Those stats are closer than some may be able to see. Fact is neither guy is anything to brag about last year. 

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's not what he was doing at all. He was pointing out how silly it is to say look at this one game and use it to say it's not hard to imagine that he's not too good. So if that logic was used with Bo what would that mean?

He just simply pointed out flawed logic that you gave a thumbs up to. Also those stats you used......ok Bo was able to play in more games......wow. Those stats are closer than some may be able to see. Fact is neither guy is anything to brag about last year. 

Thanks Cole. That very flawed logic has been used several times since it was made public that we were pursuing TJ. Getting really old and is obviously really dumb. 

5 hours ago, au302 said:

No, I'm not joking. Finley had a horrible game vs AU. If he's practicing like that, then you see the results. Whatever Bo did or didn't do does not factor in. Bo isn't the one who was having to share reps with Loy at practice. That was Finley.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, I'm not joking. Finley had a horrible game vs AU. If he's practicing like that, then you see the results. Whatever Bo did or didn't do does not factor in. Bo isn't the one who was having to share reps with Loy at practice. That was Finley.

I think you're failing to consider the possibility that Loy was repping with the 2's while Bo and TJ split reps with the 1's. I'm not saying that it's impossible that Loy has passed TJ up, but come on, we both know that's extremely unlikely. Just last week Loy was no better than fourth string. 

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

I think you're failing to consider the possibility that Loy was repping with the 2's while Bo and TJ split reps with the 1's. I'm not saying that it's impossible that Loy has passed TJ up, but come on, we both know that's extremely unlikely. Just last week Loy was no better than fourth string. 

Thanks to the virus situation, now Loy is 3rd string. While it's unlikely, its possible that Loy's stock has risen while Finley's has taken  nosedive.  Maybe the coaches are trying to light a fire under Finley? Who knows? We do know he's capable of having a bad day and if he's had more than one of those days, Loy may be passing him.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Thanks to the virus situation, now Loy is 3rd string. While it's unlikely, its possible that Loy's stock has risen while Finley's has taken  nosedive.  Maybe the coaches are trying to light a fire under Finley? Who knows? We do know he's capable of having a bad day and if he's had more than one of those days, Loy may be passing him.

Everyone is capable of having a bad day. For some reason TJ's bad day is the only one that matters to some fans, including you. Bo is certainly capable of bad days just like everyone else. It seems to me that he's unfortunately had a couple of bad days at these scrimmages. I acknowledge the possibility that TJ's stock has fallen. It's a possibility for sure. However, you don't seem to want to acknowledge that it's also very possible that Bo's stock has fallen in the eyes of the staff. Who really knows, we aren't there. All I know is that we're now 10 days out and don't have a starter named. That leads me to believe that none of them have separated from the pack

Imagine analyzing football for a living and writing that Grant Loy was one of the top three winners from the scrimmage. 

Nothing against him, but we all know he is a non-factor. 

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Imagine analyzing football for a living and writing that Grant Loy was one of the top three winners from the scrimmage. 

Nothing against him, but we all know he is a non-factor. 

I think he knew that too but was making the point that the others did not take advantage of the 2nd scrimmage as someone should have.

8 hours ago, au302 said:

just for the record auburns defense was considered one of our worst last year and we killed finley.

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

just for the record auburns defense was considered one of our worst last year and we killed finley.

Statistically speaking we had a better defense than USCe mad Bo did horrible against them, while TJ did fairly well. You can’t go off one game. 

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

And Bo has gotten killed by numerous defenses the last two years, and Loy has never sniffed QB2 behind him. 

Finley certainly wasn't great in his limited reps at LSU but there's absolutely no reason to believe Grant Loy would've done any better at all. 

Waaaaaaay too many variables and unknowns to compare any of these guys in any meaningful way. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And Bo has gotten killed by numerous defenses the last two years, and Loy has never sniffed QB2 behind him. 

Finley certainly wasn't great in his limited reps at LSU but there's absolutely no reason to believe Grant Loy would've done any better at all. 

Waaaaaaay too many variables and unknowns to compare any of these guys in any meaningful way. 

The thing is none of these guys have even proven to be above average IMO based on their stats at the QB position. 

Archived