Person Hospitalized After Taking Livestock Ivermectin From Feed Store To Treat COVID-19

aubiefifty

jacksonfreepress.com

Person Hospitalized After Taking Livestock Ivermectin From Feed Store To Treat COVID-19

By Ashton Pittman, Mississippi Free Press
5-6 minutes

Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs warned Mississippians against taking feed store ivermectin for COVID-19, telling people they should talk to their physician for any treatment plan. Photo by Melanie Thortis/UMMC Photography

Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs warned Mississippians against taking feed store ivermectin for COVID-19, telling people they should talk to their physician for any treatment plan. Photo by Melanie Thortis/UMMC Photography

#At least one individual has been hospitalized in Mississippi after ingesting a drug intended for treating worms in livestock, the Mississippi State Department of Health revealed today. The medicine, ivermectin, is not approved for treating COVID-19.

#“There are potential toxicities. So it’s something, you know, as you know, I think some people are trying to use it as a preventative, which I think is really kind of crazy. So please don’t do that,” Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said during a discussion on Zoom today.

#MSDH later confirmed to Mississippi Free Press reporter Nick Judin that the person was hospitalized in the state for ivermectin toxicity, but it is not clear whether or not the new patient was a resident. MSDH did not reveal when the incident happened or the patient’s current condition.

#Despite a lack of scientific evidence that ivermectin is effective at treating COVID-19, it has become a popular go-to drug in some circles, especially among opponents of COVID-19 vaccines and public-health measures like masking. It’s a similar phenomenon to the push last year for COVID-19 patients to take hydroxychloroquine despite studies finding it ineffective against the virus.

#“You know, for the life of me, I don’t get it. Dr. Dobbs, you have a vaccine that’s safe and effective. And yet people, as opposed to getting the vaccine, want to go after these kinds of things,” MSDH Communications Director Liz Sharlot said during today’s Zoom discussion. “What’s your thought process on that?”

#Dr. Dobbs urged Mississippians to talk to their doctors.

#“You know, please work with your doctor. This is medical treatment. You wouldn’t get your chemotherapy at a feed store,” the state health officer said. “I mean, you wouldn’t want to treat your pneumonia with your animal’s medication. It can be dangerous to get the wrong doses of medication, especially for something that’s meant for a horse or a cow. So we understand the environment we live in. But it’s really important if people have medical needs to go through your physician or provider.”

#Though the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved ivermectin to treat people with conditions caused by parasitic worms and external parasites like head lice, the FDA warns that the forms of ivermectin used to treat animals are not the same product.

#“For one thing, animal drugs are often highly concentrated because they are used for large animals like horses and cows, which can weigh a lot more than we do—a ton or more,” the FDA wrote in a March 2021 notice. “Such high doses can be toxic in humans.”

#But taking human-approved doses of ivermectin for “unapproved use” and without proper medical oversight “can be very dangerous,” the agency warned.

#“There’s a lot of misinformation around, and you may have heard that it’s OK to take large doses of ivermectin. That is wrong,” the FDA said. “Even the levels of ivermectin for approved uses can interact with other medications, like blood-thinners. You can also overdose on ivermectin, which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hypotension (low blood pressure), allergic reactions (itching and hives), dizziness, ataxia (problems with balance), seizures, coma and even death.”

#Aside from getting the COVID-19 vaccine to prevent infection or severe illness, MSDH has urged Mississippians who do test positive to immediately speak with their health-care providers about getting monoclonal antibody antibody infusion treatments. Studies have found that the infusions can prevent as many as 70% of mild cases of COVID-19 from escalating into severe illnesses that result in death or require hospitalization.

#State Reporter Nick Judin contributed to this report.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Anything but the vaccine.  :rolleyes:

some are getting some antibodies of some kind now. my best friend the preacher is one but he and his wife both got it. same with the brother in law who dies from it.

Rachel Maddow Rips Fox News For Pushing 'Horse Dewormer' For COVID Treatment

Mary Papenfuss
3 minutes

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow blasted Fox News on Friday night for promoting a livestock dewormer as a treatment for COVID-19.

Calls to poison control centers in Mississippi are on the rise due to individuals ingesting the drug ivermectin, which is commonly used to eradicate and prevent parasites in livestock.

“People won’t take the vaccine because they’re super suspicious of that. But they’re taking horse deworming medication that they’re buying at a feed store? For COVID?” asked Maddow. “Why, on top of everything else Mississippi has to deal with right now, why are they dealing with this?”

“I have a guess,” she added, before playing a series of clips of Fox News personalities — including Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity — promoting ivermectin. Hannity pushed the drug as one of the “proactive treatments and practices that are already helping COVID-19 patients all across the country.”

Mississippi is currently struggling with the highest rate of COVID-19 cases and the lowest rate of vaccination in the country.

Meanwhile, “Fox News is busy saying, ‘Don’t take the vaccine, but do take this horse deworming medication, trust us, it is proven,’” said Maddow.

She went on to note that the Food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health, and the World Health Organization all say “do not take ivermectin for COVID.”

Ivermectin should not be used against COVID, nor are livestock doses safe for people. In fact, Mississippi Health Department officials issued a warning: “Do not use ivermectin products made for animals. Animal doses are not safe for humans.” 

Mississippi State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said in a press briefing earlier this week, “You wouldn’t get your chemotherapy at a feed store. You wouldn’t treat your pneumonia with your animal’s medication,” 

Though ivermectin is commonly used to treat livestock, far smaller dose tablets have been approved by the FDA to treat conditions caused by parasitic worms in people. Topical forms are also approved to treat head lice and rosacea in humans.

But high doses of ivermectin products for animals “can be highly toxic in humans,” the FDA warned, even deadly.

Using any drugs not approved by the FDA to treat COVID-19 can “cause serious harm,” the agency said

Also on HuffPost

This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.

19 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

annnd... it's time to cull the herd - Aand Its Gone | Meme Generator

use your pull and get me a non admin assatola quote under my name sexy.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

use your pull and get me a non admin assatola quote under my name sexy.

You can do it in the profile section....

Drop Down menu by your screen name in the top right corner
Click Profile
Find "Edit Profile in the Upper Right hand corner of your Profile Pic. Should be in the toilet paper of the rolled tree on the right hand side.
Look for Member Title

Insert whatever you want and save. 

Archived