2nd Scrimmage News & Reports....

W.E.D

17 hours ago, AUDevil said:

So the vax would help eliminate spread? Weird, b/c that contradicts CDC spokespersons.  It also contradicts what’s happening in real life in Israel right now where they have a much higher vax rate yet are not sure whether to Re-open schools and are considering lock downs.

In a population where nearly everyone is vaccinated and with vaccines that have been shown to be 90-93 percent effective, there will still be infections (albeit at a much lower rate) and nearly all of those infections will be among those vaccinated. You need to stop and think about this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

He was actually 57% his freshman year and 60% the next year vs an all SEC slate. Actually think he dropped slight at the bowl and finished at 59.8 or something. 

So if he's at 60% he's essentially stalled

If Bo is at 60 percent, he's essentially where he was through his high school career where he never completed quite 60 percent in a season.

(My hopes for Bo faded somewhat in the spring when I saw him doing the same stuff in the A-Day game while wearing a non-contact jersey. He still bailed, and he still threw off his back foot. Word I got last year was that Bo doesn't take coaching all that well. He'll be OK in practice, and then he reverts to the same bad habits he had in high school where at that level of competition he could get away with things that at this level he can't.  I hope he turns it around, but if he doesn't, I hope he makes a great backup.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, japantiger said:

Serious question on the O-line...can we really be worse than last year?

We really ought to be better just based on experience. And ya know, board posts not withstanding, the o-line last season got better and was at least serviceable as the season wore on. You can't blame the 0-line when the QB bails when he shouldn't. And Bo has a habit of bailing. Go back and find StatTiger's breakdown on Bo from the spring game. Non-contact jersey...and he still bails and still throws off his back foot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, japantiger said:

Serious question on the O-line...can we really be worse than last year?

Possibly a more difficult scheme and responsibilities is hurting tbem or they are still adjusting to the new offense?

Having key starters missing time bc of covid hasn't helped.

I hope we can get a few things corrected bc I feel like we have enough talent at every other position besides OL to have a solid 9-3 season

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

In a population where nearly everyone is vaccinated and with vaccines that have been shown to be 90-93 percent effective, there will still be infections (albeit at a much lower rate) and nearly all of those infections will be among those vaccinated. You need to stop and think about this.

Geeze, for a fella from Heflin, you sure use the mind God gave you.  

Almost as well as another native son of Heflin, that I know pretty well...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Neither. The tight ends are a more known quantity. The coaches are more interested in stressing and evaluating other position groups during camp so they're scripting 11 on 11 periods and full scrimmages with that in mind. That doesn't mean that the TEs are being ignored in practices atm or that they won't be a bigger part of the offense come game time. 

Same can be said for Bo. They're trying to deliberately put him in more situations that's he's uncomfortable in to see how he responds. He has to get used to having his back to the defense in the play-action game and turning around and identifying the coverage. Camp is still about install, techniques, fundamentals, etc.

They'll get more into the actual offensive and defensive identities when it becomes game week prep.

Now I feel better 

6 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Neither. The tight ends are a more known quantity. The coaches are more interested in stressing and evaluating other position groups during camp so they're scripting 11 on 11 periods and full scrimmages with that in mind. That doesn't mean that the TEs are being ignored in practices atm or that they won't be a bigger part of the offense come game time. 

Same can be said for Bo. They're trying to deliberately put him in more situations that's he's uncomfortable in to see how he responds. He has to get used to having his back to the defense in the play-action game and turning around and identifying the coverage. Camp is still about install, techniques, fundamentals, etc.

They'll get more into the actual offensive and defensive identities when it becomes game week prep.

Refreshing to see a staff practice with specific purpose 

Well I know the o line certainly can improve but they weren't as bad as it's made out to be on here. It was they were so bad the uga game that many just rode with that but they improved literally every game. 

Judging from how the coaches approached the o line this year I think they agreed with that. But everybody not just the QB will have to adjust to playing real football so it will be up and down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I’m way past that, dude…the actions of our world right now (Pfizer developing antivirals, more lockdowns, etc) are only proving it’s ineffectiveness (at the very least) more and more.  Here’s one for you:  https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58270098.amp

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

17 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I’m way past that, dude…the actions of our world right now (Pfizer developing antivirals, more lockdowns, etc) are only proving it’s ineffectiveness (at the very least) more and more.  Here’s one for you:  https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58270098.amp

Did you actually read that article?

"We know there have been cases of people catching the virus twice (re-infection) and of being vaccinated and catching Covid (known as breakthrough infection).

"Neither gives you complete protection versus infection, but the immunity you get from either seems to protect you pretty well from serious illness," said Prof Finn, from the University of Bristol."

(Seems to me you skipped parts, based on your takeaway. Take the whole, not the part.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also missed that the argument wasn’t against boosters it was against boosters when many many people haven’t gotten a first shot. 

Also missed the argument that we’re  measuring effectiveness by length of circulating antibodies when those antibodies are only produced for a short while after contact with the virus. Then it goes to T cells to be on the lookout. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Can someone please tell me why we didn't take or heavily target a single OL from the portal???? Was this a massive miscalculation by Harsin, Bobo, and friend?

I don't think we're at the 85...but we'll have NT, DT. SS, CB, Nickel as transfer starters and maybe a few more contributors. Offesne we'll our best WR and maybe the starting QB at some point.

That's an impressive amount of talented added to the team...but not a single OL or two could have been brought in???

We'll see how it plays out, but probably the most confusing part to the off-season roster building 

I think maybe they just didn't like anyone in the portal better than what they had? Maybe Harsin over-valued Friend's ability to coach these guys up? I am just throwing #$% against the wall here honestly.

When did this scrimmage take place? I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think maybe they just didn't like anyone in the portal better than what they had?

Feel like that would be pretty hard to do.

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

When did this scrimmage take place? I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

The 2nd one?  Friday.

Also, regarding Bo's completion percentage - he probably had more throw aways than any other QB in the SEC.

The metric I want to see improve is his passing efficiency (aka QB rating). With the new scheme and his maturation, I'm looking for 145+. That'd be a 20 pt improvement from 2020 and probably put him in the Top 25 or 30 of cfb passers.

• Like 2

Hilarious how his peers have turned on him. I wish all al.com articles/postings were  banned from this forum.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So is there any reason for optimism offensively?

We'll go as the OL goes. I think we have enough talent at QB, RB. TE. And WR to have a good offense. 

Last year we had the ~85th rated OL by PFF. That was a decreasefrom about 35th in 2019. Maybe the UGA game was that bad and weighted us down. Or we weren't really ever good. We essentially have that exact same group.

Ideally a starting 5 might gel, but I'm not sure when that'll happen as a few starting OL are in covid protocol. 

Side note...I did read that the last scrimmage was almost all passing. So maybe the DL knew that and didn't have to worry about a rush???

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

We'll go as the OL goes. I think we have enough talent at QB, RB. TE. And WR to have a good offense. 

Last year we had the ~85th rated OL by PFF. That was a decreasefrom about 35th in 2019. Maybe the UGA game was that bad and weighted us down. Or we weren't really ever good. We essentially have that exact same group.

Ideally a starting 5 might gel, but I'm not sure when that'll happen as a few starting OL are in covid protocol. 

Side note...I did read that the last scrimmage was almost all passing. So maybe the DL knew that and didn't have to worry about a rush???

THe one hope I have for our offense, is if the OL still has issues protecting the QB consistently, with our HC and OC both understanding pro-like offenses and the QB position in detail, they know how to help the QB, when there will be a defensive rush/push or blitz, with options to the TE, RB and specific WRs that will be in sit down and short areas to at least get any positive yards possible. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

THe one hope I have for our offense, is if the OL still has issues protecting the QB consistently, with our HC and OC both understanding pro-like offenses and the QB position in detail, they know how to help the QB, when there will be a defensive rush/push or blitz, with options to the TE, RB and specific WRs that will be in sit down and short areas to at least get any positive yards possible. 

I don't disagree that we have coaches for the first time in a while, that will put our team in a proper position to win.

But st times, Bo or TJ are going to need to drop back and have some time 

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Feel like that would be pretty hard to do.

The 2nd one?  Friday.

I am sorry. I guess I misread your post earlier in the thread. Made it sound like this was a third and separate scrimmage from the one Friday. My mistake. 

On 8/21/2021 at 6:59 AM, aubiefifty said:

i still look back at bo in his game against Oregon.he played his butt off as a true freshman. Oregon was a great team and  Bo led us to a come from behind victory. i still think he has tons of potential if he gets the right coaching. if he does not i will always feel maybe we let him down somehow.

Or maybe he just wasn't that good...which is also ok.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:56 PM, W.E.D said:

So one thing that'll be pretty interesting is how Bo will go from a 1 read offense to having progressions. That's something he hasn't done a lot of.

Can he find the check down? We were told he'd have them last year, but either didn't or never looked to em

Kind of hard to find your check down when facing a 'jail break' rush.

I'm hoping better coaching will solve that problem.  Once Bo gets confident with the OL, I think he will shine.

17 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Apparently the offense coaches, including Harsin, bought into what Mikey is selling about the oline.

What I'm selling about the O-line is: A) They aren't as bad as some would have us believe. If we can get through a full season without the numerous injuries we suffered last season, we should see a solid O-line performance. Not spectacular but solid. (Now, sadly, I'll have to add Covid restrictions to that injury qualification)

B ) This is borne out by the fact that no apparent effort was made to bring in O-line transfers. The staff was skilled enough to bring in several DB's and key players at other positions. If our coaches shared the opinions of some on this message board we'd have had transfer O-linemen brought in. There were none.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 2:04 PM, cole256 said:

I said as far as Bo it will get worse before it get better because it's an entire different philosophy to get used to. I worried would there be enough time to get him caught up on fundamentals AND learn the intricacies of a real offense.

This is why I thought maybe it could be a QB battle as well because maybe if tj is already ahead as far as pro offense concepts then it might make it a closer competition. 

I don't think we'll see or know anything until actual games

TJ has a lot more upside than most people here are crediting him with, IMO. 

• Like 1