Senior Spotlight - Shaun Shivers

WFE12

Senior spotlight: Auburn running back Shaun Shivers

By Adam Pollard
AUBURN, Ala. –
 When tailback Shaun Shivers first heard about Auburn's interest in him, Auburn was not on his radar, but that quickly changed.

"After I had been offered by Auburn, it was not really on my mind as a program I was interested in, until someone told me to take a visit," Shivers recalled.

"When I did, I just fell in love with it. Auburn is family and from the moment I visited I was 100 percent committed to Auburn."

Looking back on his time on the Plains, Shivers notes how quickly it's gone.

"It feels like just a few days ago I was still in high school and discussing college offers," said the 2020 team captain who's logged 933 career rushing yards. "Now I'm graduating in December with a degree in interdisciplinary studies, and I'm really proud of overcoming the adversity to be here. It took a lot of hard work and I'm excited to have that college degree and possibly play in the NFL."

Playing in the NFL has been Shivers' dream from a young age.

"I started thinking about the NFL when I first started playing," he said. "I wasn't the biggest on the field, but I was always the fastest. That inspired me to keep pushing for my NFL dream. I knew when I stepped onto the field, I had what it took to keep going to the next level, from a young age to high school, then at Auburn, and hopefully beyond.

"I also know that football won't always be there for me, so I have to think about life after football as well. One day I would like to own my own business or get into real estate. I think it's important to think about these things because football, like anything in life, can be taken from you in an instant, so it's important not to take things for granted."

Shivers, a two-sport star from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, who has also run track at Auburn, knows he has what it takes to play in the NFL and is pushing every day in practice and games to pursue that goal.

"It's surreal to me that I'm talking about having the chance to play in the NFL," he said. "It still feels like high school wasn't very long ago but, in reality, graduation is a few months away. With that said, I am still very focused on this season at Auburn.

"I wouldn't be here without my mentors and advisors. They have helped me on and off the field to push and prepare me for the real world beyond Auburn. I would also like to mention Coach Cadillac (Williams); on the field he teaches everyone about being a man and that football will not always be there for us. Life is bigger than football and we cannot take it for granted. Coach Cadillac has been here before, he has gotten through injuries, and he is here to give us the game and show us the way. He coaches hard and wants us to succeed on and off the field."

Shivers earned a permanent position in Auburn lore in the 2019 Iron Bowl when his powerful red-zone touchdown run in the fourth quarter knocked the helmet off of Alabama safety Xavier McKinney, the decisive score in the Tigers' 48-45 win.

"It was a really exciting moment; everyone would come up to talk to us and celebrate it," Shivers said. "Even to this day it is a big thing around campus and with the fans."

With the 2021 season fast approaching, Shivers keeps his personal goals private, but notes that the team goal is to win the SEC championship.

"Our mentality is to get back to Auburn football from Cam Newton's time here," he said. "You will see a more disciplined, more physical and faster Auburn than you have seen in the past few seasons."

Game day is the pinnacle of each week. Shivers, nicknamed the "Worm," says that to help himself prepare, he enjoys listening to Kodak Black and M Huncho before games while eating a small plate of potatoes and mac and cheese, sometimes with a little piece of steak.

The prospect of again competing in a sold-out stadium energizes Shivers.

"I take every game the same no matter how many fans are able to be here, but I like when people get to come out and see what we do," he said. "There were days last season where we were not sure if we were going to have a season, and other days where we couldn't even practice as we didn't want to spread any illnesses, so we were happy to be able to play last year and are excited to have more fans this year.

"Everyone on the team has fun with each other and gets along. We know what we are capable of in the fall."

Shivers has been a part of some big moments in Auburn football over the past few years but has yet to take part in one of Auburn's biggest traditions.

"I have never rolled Toomer's," he said. "It is not that I don't want to -- I do -- but I've not had the right opportunity. After the games I would want to roll after it is usually very late and by the time I have showered and changed the crowds at Toomer's have left. I hope to roll this year though as it is a great Auburn tradition."

As his time at Auburn draws to a close, Shivers shares advice with younger student-athletes.  

"Stay focused and don't take any day at college for granted," he said. "On the field and in the classroom, take it seriously and do it with a purpose.

"I would also like to say I love each and every one of the fans here at Auburn, thank you for the opportunity you gave me here and for rooting for me -- War Eagle!"

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Hard working kid.  Hope Harsin gets him on the field more than the prior staff.  He should be in a two back set; in the slot or just out wide.  Too much grit and talent to be relegated to  "#2" RB snaps.  He could be used like A&M uses Anias Smith.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Man, I’d love to see Shivers rip off about an 80 yard run in the opener for a TD to start off a great final year at AU. If anybody has earned it, it sure does seem like he has

Edited by fredst
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

@Momma Wormshould be very, very proud of the young man she raised and I hope, no I 🙏, that V8 Runnin gets to play in the League! Love this dude and he’ll always be one of my favorite players.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Shaun is and has been on of my favorite players at Auburn. He plays with a big heart and a lot of determination and has always been a leader and team player . Looking forward to seeing him in the NFL. War Eagle Shaun🦅🦅🦅

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Really looking forward to him catching more passes this season. 

This nifty little screen play right here would do damage with his wheels. Or Tank's for that matter. 

On 8/19/2021 at 11:54 PM, Mims44 said:

Still waitin on my heart over height t-shirt.

:) 

It shipped…. It will be there any day now! I personally shipped it 😉 Thank you for your support #HOH 

Edited by Momma Worm
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Spring game got me really hyped about Shivers actually being used well. Dude has been stuck running telegraphed plays for years. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Spring game got me really hyped about Shivers actually being used well. Dude has been stuck running telegraphed plays for years. 

I stay hyped about Shaun 24/7/365. He will succeed in everything he does. He is #builtdifferent

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

It shipped…. It will be there any day now! I personally shipped it 😉 Thank you for your support #HOH 

I got it Saturday :)

Love it ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I stay hyped about Shaun 24/7/365. He will succeed in everything he does. He is #builtdifferent

Same here! I think Shivers is a favorite for many on this board because we can see that he always gives it 100% in everything he's done while at Auburn. Couple that with the fact that we all realize just how bad he's been misused and mishandled and we want to see him have the biggest breakout season ever! I believe if used correctly both him and Tank can rush for over 1k yards.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Same here! I think Shivers is a favorite for many on this board because we can see that he always gives it 100% in everything he's done while at Auburn. Couple that with the fact that we all realize just how bad he's been misused and mishandled and we want to see him have the biggest breakout season ever! I believe if used correctly both him and Tank can rush for over 1k yards.

As always brother, amen

• 11 months later...
31 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Somebody got their ankles broken and fractured! 

This - I was like Shivers hit him with the football version of Allen Iverson…

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The Shiverson.

I'm a sucker for an equally good and bad pun at the same time. Take this like, sir!!! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Everything is good 👍🏾 thank you so much #WarEagle 

I’ll miss having a Momma Bear in the forums. Love V8 Runnin and hope he has a great year.

• Like 2